PDA

View Full Version : EC- excuse my ignorance

breezy88
10-21-2010, 12:24 AM
I have been reading about the benefits of EC. While I can see there are many I'm just not sure why I can't EC without any pottys etc. Couldn't I try to learn her cues and then change her diaper right away? I'm not against the catches etc. but I just can't see myself doing it. Especially when we're out.

MomtoJGJ
10-21-2010, 04:19 AM
I think technically if you have a diaper on her and then changing immediately, you are just an attentive mother...

But you could partially EC. We don't get a potty... I just hold them over the sink or toilet until they can sit up, and I don't EC while we are out and about. I do at friends houses or at church. Some people get bowls to use.

The idea is to NOT get them used to going in a diaper... to get them used to eliminating away from their body.

Someone else will chime in with better advice I'm sure, because I'm not an authority on EC... I just do it when I feel like it.

swimming with sharks
10-21-2010, 07:05 AM
Yes, the goal is to get them to eliminate away from their body. :no The ULTIMATE goal is to get them to communicate with you and respond to their cues. If the baby is telling you they have to go, you need to respond. I've had two kids so far that have learned very quickly that when they cue me, I respond by taking them potty. I've had several memorable incidents where I'm indisposed (normally traveling) and am desperately trying to convince the 9 month old, that it's ok to use their diaper, all the while they're getting louder and louder and louder over trying to convince me that they're cuing me. :doh:rockon:bag You're teaching them that they don't need to go potty in their diaper, that they can tell you when they have to go and you'll help them do it a better way. :tu We don't do it ALL the time. :no I do have a little potty in the car and often hold them over the big potty. DS2 has been doing WAY better now that he can sit up on the potty on his own without me holding him. I think he can relax better that way. :rockon

MomtoJGJ
10-21-2010, 09:47 AM
I agree with the communication.... but that's in everything really, right? That's the ultimate goal in an AP mom's life isn't it? For the child to know that they can tell their mother something and she'll help them?

So like, with nursing on demand, the goal is to understand their communication and them to know when they tell you they are hungry you'll feed them.... the other goal would be for them to be fed when THEY are hungry.

So in my weird little mind, with EC you have the communication goal, but also the elimination goal :)

breezy88
10-22-2010, 12:53 AM
[S]. I've had several memorable incidents where I'm indisposed (normally traveling) and am desperately trying to convince the 9 month old, that it's ok to use their diaper, all the while they're getting louder and louder and louder over trying to convince me that they're cuing me. :doh:rockon:bag l

That is exactly what I was worried about...and then wouldn't that be painful for them...I mean they can't really hold it anyways for very long...but I thought this might be a problem.
In all honesty I don't think I will do it...I tried a few times and she does nothing and it is hard to hold her there for too long...She is a silent pooper and if she does make a noise before pee the pee comes immediately a 1/4 second later...I've learned this from the times she has peed on the change table.
I will stayed tuned to this forum though to learn about how to watch for cues so I can be an attentive diaper changing mama if not an EC Mama:)

swimming with sharks
10-22-2010, 05:37 AM
the ultimate goal...For the child to know that they can tell their mother something and she'll help them?

:rockon:rockon:rockon you're right :yes I was just clarifying cuz sometimes people get sooo worked up in the catches that they stress themselves and their babies out and just make it an exercise in frustration. :heart

MomtoJGJ
10-22-2010, 05:48 AM
gotcha :) wasn't thinking about that... sorry!

Kiara.I
10-22-2010, 09:23 AM
We don't EC. What we *do* do (and I *highly* recommend) is start putting them on the potty at diaper changes once they can sit. Once they pee the first time (make the "pss pss pss sound -- or you can try running water) is make a big deal of it. Also, make sure to make the cuing sound when she pees during a diaper change. The goal is to associate the pss pss pss sound with the feeling of letting go for a pee.

Then you can keep pottying her during diaper changes.
Benefits:
- they know what the potty is for. There is none of that toddler sitting there wailing because she can't understand why she has to sit in this spot for a long time.
- they know how to release pee on demand. When they do use the potty they can let go and *go*, easily.
- you might save some diapers. That's either a financial savings (disposables) or a time & effort saving (laundry) and either one is kind of worth it. ;)

We started this really early, somewhere around 6 months, and both of them learned to pee on the potty right away. Totally painless! It was awesome.

It didn't mean they held it for the potty, it didn't mean they cued to go on the potty. All it meant was that we had familiarity with the process. But even that, I highly recommend.

WingsOfTheMorning
10-22-2010, 11:55 AM
We did EC part-time too. Now it looks a lot like what Kiara described, and I think there are great benefits to introducing the potty early, like she said. Even though it doesn't look like my DD will be potty trained early, pottying has been a normal part of her life for a long time.

For some people, part time EC is as simple as offering the potty first thing in the morning, and that's it. It really is up to you how much you want to do it.

mamacanuck
10-22-2010, 12:48 PM
We've done EC part-time, I started when ds was about 3 months old. I keep ds in diapers most of the time but try not to let him use them. :giggle He pees so many times in the morning that I usually can't keep up so I don't usually worry about it, I just try to catch what I can. I just hold him over the toilet or let him sit on a potty seat on the toilet.

Or if we are out I just let him/help him pee outside :shifty

We've really been very relaxed with it, if he uses his diaper, no big deal, I just try to change him as quick as possible so he doesn't get used to the wet feeling. Yesterday, I was pretty pleased that he only used his diaper 3 times during the day and I caught the rest. :)

ds is almost 14 months now and he will sign sometimes for potty and I can almost always tell if he needs to go. I think it's been super beneficial because he knows how to relax to go on the potty, I can cue him to release, and he knows the feeling of needing to go and can communicate that to me when he's not distracted. That's most of the battle with potty training.