PDA

View Full Version : Prefolds Needed?

Llee
09-21-2010, 09:30 PM
So, being new to the prefold world and not finding the answer to this particular questions, here it is:

We have the Gerber ones that were given to us. Dancing uses 10-12 a day--she's a leaker, not a gusher. :no Will she stop using as many as she gets older?

How many prefolds should I get in what sizes to last for oh say, the next two years? She's a bit chunky, but not too much. She's tracking into the clothing listed for her size, just as her sister has done all her days, i.e. at 4 months she's wearing 3-6 month clothing, 18 month clothing at 18 months old, etc.

Oh, and I'm guessing that 6 covers would last for 2 days? Or...

Aerynne
09-21-2010, 09:35 PM
We EC, so your mileage may vary. We only use infant prefolds, but get covers in bigger sizes. We have about five dozen, but we don't strictly need that many. I bought them when we had dd1 and were doing laundry at the coin-op place and I wanted to save money by running a full load. My kids went through a newborn amount of diapers (like you're saying, 10-12, all the way up to being diaper-free, but I changed them even if they were only damp). And how many covers depends on how much she poops. Mine never poop in their diapers because of EC and we use one cover a day. IME, every poop needs a new cover.

solatido
09-22-2010, 07:02 PM
I started out with Gerber PFs too and switched over to Little Lion's seconds... I got the premium sizes, figuring the gerbers worked ok for the newborn stage. Let's see... I switched over to the LLs at about 3 months? And he is still using them at 14 months. They were a little big at first but worked fine. They fit really well now- I have to fold down about an inch and a half in the front. I imagine we will use them for at least the next several months, my goal is until he is out of diapers. If he needs toddler sized PFs I'd only get a half dozen or so.

I started with 2 dozen pfs to 6 covers and it worked well. The premiums fit well under a medium bummis cover and of course have fit well under larger covers (needed as DS grew).

Llee
09-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Good pointers. Thank you much for sharing your info!

cro
09-22-2010, 07:25 PM
I started using red GMDs (http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/diapers.htm)(14"x16") when E was about 5-6m. She's 21m now and they still fit her perfectly. 2 dozen is my minimum to wash every 2 days, but I feel more comfortable w/ 30. 6 covers would be more than enough.

solatido
09-22-2010, 08:14 PM
I started using red GMDs (http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/diapers.htm)(14"x16") when E was about 5-6m. She's 21m now and they still fit her perfectly. 2 dozen is my minimum to wash every 2 days, but I feel more comfortable w/ 30. 6 covers would be more than enough.

:shifty Even with just 24 I ususally ran out of covers first. BUT I was not quite as good at folding and DS would take power poops. Heck, I have an even higher ratio of covers to diapers now and STILL run out of covers first, so what am I saying about my skills improving?? :bag

:giggle

KCMartha
09-29-2010, 06:38 PM
Yeah, the word on the street is that the Red Edged GMDs (a "medium" size) fit forever. I hope so because we went through the first two sizes in a month each!