PDA

View Full Version : are fitteds easier for newborns?

SweetCaroline
08-17-2010, 01:02 PM
im due in november (yay!!) i only started CDing my little guy when he was about 12 months, so i was wondering.. for night time changes with a newborn, are fitted diapers easier? i can easily turn some of my prefolds into fitteds. would it be worth it to do that?
to be honest..i considered getting some disposables for those first nights :blush you know, when they're still pooping after every feeding.
advice please
OR.. i use alot of wool too, is it easy to just lay the prefold in the wool -bc thats super easy, but does that work for newborns?

macksmom
08-17-2010, 01:33 PM
:jump oooh. waiting to see answers on this one. I've also wondered about cd'ing a newborn since I started late.

Lady TS
08-17-2010, 01:43 PM
I had some fitteds for my dd, but mostly prefolds. It would take a LOT of fitteds for one day of diapering...because IME they didn't absorb as much as a prefold, and the poo tended to leak out the sides more than a prefold.

Still, I liked them for easy changes in public and for dh changing dipes.

LadybugSam
08-17-2010, 03:47 PM
i really prefered prefolds for a newborn, but i did like having 1 dozen fitteds for when we went out, because they were quicker and fun to show off :)

Niphredil
08-17-2010, 03:48 PM
I really liked prefolds for my newborn. They're just so simple. they wash quickly, dry quickly, no sorting or folding required, easy to carry about.

Prefolds you have to worry about tabs getting velcroed together and they don't dry as quickly and... IDK, they're just not as easy in my mind.

Eesti
08-17-2010, 04:03 PM
we loved fitteds/covers for our last NB and have been stocking up for this one. They are easier to change in the night and they hold in the poo better.

Maggirayne
08-17-2010, 04:28 PM
I did sposies for the first week. ;) Then I used prefolds (laid not stuffed) inside Fuzzibunz for both girls, newborn and 2 yo. It makes night time changes really easy b/c you can change them side-lying while latched on w/out sitting up--if they aren't poopy.

Sweet Life
08-17-2010, 04:37 PM
we also did sposies for the first couple of weeks
then prefolds with covers during the day
and fuzzibunz at night or when dh did a diaper change
:tu

HuggaBuggaMommy
08-17-2010, 05:12 PM
I really love fitteds. I wish I had more for my newbie. I didn't see a difference between the absorbancy of fitteds and prefolds, and the fitteds I had (loveybums) are really trim and contain everything well.

Eesti
08-17-2010, 05:47 PM
I also have experience turning a prefold into a fitted. I used FOE on the edges and it worked well . I did add some fabric to the wings...I also used a premie pf as a snap in doubler. ;)

SweetCaroline
08-17-2010, 06:53 PM
I also have experience turning a prefold into a fitted. I used FOE on the edges and it worked well . I did add some fabric to the wings...I also used a premie pf as a snap in doubler. ;)

oh..FOE is a really good idea! soooo much easier

Eesti
08-17-2010, 07:45 PM
I can try to snap a few pics if you want?

solatido
08-17-2010, 08:12 PM
I second using the FOE. If you turn the fabric in and add elastic it doesnt' work as well- diaper birdseye just frays too much. It's not too too bad if you sew another layer (like fleece- yay moisture barrier) onto a PF, turn, and topstitch the elastic in- or put it in the seam allowance. But FOE is easiest.

I am debating adding snaps but it's sooo easy to just use a Snappi. I think that prefitteds would speed up the process.

We didn't CD T when he was a newborn because we were given almost 2 months worth of 'sposies!! :jawdrop I was glad not to have to mess with getting meconium off my cloth stash. We started switching over at about 5 weeks but still used mostly 'sposies until 2 months or so...

SweetCaroline
08-17-2010, 08:47 PM
I can try to snap a few pics if you want?

:) yes please!

Eesti
08-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Here you go
My 2yr old has been napping lately! ;D

Here is a prefitted I made from an infant and premie pf snapped in as a doubler.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/CATeacher/diaperstash/th_1-23.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v366/CATeacher/diaperstash/?action=view&current=1-23.jpg)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v366/CATeacher/diaperstash/th_2-17.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v366/CATeacher/diaperstash/?action=view&current=2-17.jpg)