PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find that thread about baking your CDs. Anyone know where it is?

homesteadmama
07-16-2010, 06:37 PM
I can't remember what the title of it was, and I think it's from a couple years ago. The thread turns into Allison in TX explaining how to bake your dipes in the oven to kill the hard-to-kill-and-oh-so-stinky bacteria

Can anyone help me?

TIA!

klpmommy
07-16-2010, 08:35 PM
I don't know where the thread is, but I know that when I had yeasty diapers I baked them. Put a few in a paper bag (not too many, I want to say I stacked 6 prefolds flat, but it's been a while) and bake them at 200* for 2 hours.

homesteadmama
07-16-2010, 10:18 PM
So if I have pocket diapers, do I bake the cover and the insert? And the paper bag won't catch on fire?

klpmommy
07-17-2010, 04:40 AM
I think you bake both.

At 200* the paper won't catch on fire. Remember the book Farenheit 351*? It was called that b/c that is the temp at which paper burns. :)

Barefoot Bookworm
07-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Be careful with baking PUL. Mine melted at a steady 200*. :bag I'd personally just do the inserts after that experience.

klpmommy
07-17-2010, 08:36 AM
I have no experience with PUL. However, if there is yeast it will be in the parts that touch the baby so the pockets would need to be treated. :think

schmamy
07-17-2010, 09:44 AM
how long can yeast last in diapers? more than a year?

like, hypothetically :shifty ...if you had been having yeast problems and so you stopped using the CDs and were too lazy to treat them and they sat in a pile in a laundry basket for, oh, 15 months or so...would you have to go to all the trouble to bake them and whatnot or could you assume the yeast was long ago dead for nothing to feed on?

:shifty