PDA

View Full Version : SOLVED: Slightly stinky dipes help

lalaithnil
07-14-2010, 08:09 AM
So, our cds are mainly bumgenuis 3.0 and are only a few weeks old (we just started cding :rockon) and they are a little smelly. I'm EXTRA sensitive to smells, and I can't get them smelling fresh. :scratch
I have an HE top-loader - supposed to clean like a front loader but is top-loader - no agitator. I've tried Charlie's soap and Allen's - still smelly. I've tried doing a 2 hour cold cycle with no soap followed by a 2 hour hot cycle with soap and vice versa. I've tried the dryer and the indoor clothes line and the outdoor clothes line. DD only poops once per day, and she's only pooped in about 4 of the cds - (sposies caught the others :giggle.) I use a mini shower and spray the poopies until you can't see any trace of poo, then leave them dripping wet in the diaper pail for no longer than 1 day.
HELP! What am I doing wrong?? I don't want to give up cding and made a huge investment in these dipes. :blush:nails:doh

SOLVED: Thanks to GCM!
I did a soak overnight in very hot water (turned our water heater up for the day, then back down to 120 for safety) and a few tbsps of Bac-out. Then I did a very long cold wash with no detergent. Then I did an overnight soak with Rockin Green, and then finished that hot wash. Another long cold rinse w/out detergent and another overnight soak with Rockin Green, finished in the a.m. as a hot wash. ALL FRESH AND CLEAN!! In the future, I'll give poopys a squirt of bac-out, and vinegar, and soak in a wet pail until washing, do one long cold wash w/out detergent, and one long hot wash w/ Rockin Green (extra rinses on each).
THANK YOU GCM!!! :rockon:heart
:ty2:gcm

SweetCaroline
07-14-2010, 08:22 AM
ok..im going to utter the unmentionable, but would you be willing to use a little bleach? then put them on the longest wash possible, or even wassh twice- to remove any residues.
i went w/o bleach for a long time, i used Bacout,tee tree oil in the wash, GSE - but that stinky PUL cloth diaper smell, it smells particular and wierd a little sickening. i gave in to the bleach
mabey some more seasoned CD moms have better suggestions. :shrug3

Quiteria
07-14-2010, 08:59 AM
we had the same issue with the same washer :hugheart

Proverbs31
07-14-2010, 09:29 AM
:hug2 I am not a fan of HE machines. I think they cause diaper stink because they don't use enough water.

Do you have an option to adjust water level? If you do, wash your load of dipes with the highest level of water.

If you don't, look through your manual to see if one cycles is described as using extra water, and use that cycle when doing dipes.

You're always using the extra rinse already, right?

lalaithnil
07-14-2010, 09:41 AM
:hug2 I am not a fan of HE machines. I think they cause diaper stink because they don't use enough water.

Do you have an option to adjust water level? If you do, wash your load of dipes with the highest level of water.

If you don't, look through your manual to see if one cycles is described as using extra water, and use that cycle when doing dipes.

You're always using the extra rinse already, right?

Yep, extra rinse, highest water level and prewash, longest possible setting, 2-3 times and still stinky! :jawdrop :mad Maybe I should boil a huge pot of water and dump that in there with them. We have our water heater adjusted to 120 degrees - could that be part of the problem? Not getting hot enough? So frustrating!

Thanks for all the hugs!!:heart

Embracing Grace
07-14-2010, 09:50 AM
:popcorn I'm having the same issue. I did wash the dipes in really hot water several times in a row (like 5 or 6), and the smell went away for a while. It's back now. Ugh. Sorry I'm no help!

lalaithnil
07-14-2010, 10:17 AM
Do you think this is a PUL smell and NOT a poopy diaper smell? I mean, I'm associating it with poopy dipeys, and I hate to think I'm puttting her in diapers that aren't clean, yk? :sick

What will the bleach do? :nails

I was hoping to use these dipeys for another child too! :hissyfit

I posted this Q on the bumgenius FB page. I'll let you know if I get an answer.

Jessica
07-14-2010, 10:24 AM
I went through this last winter for the first time. We had been CDing for over a year at that point. I tried all sorts of things - TTO, bleach, long soaks, etc - and the stink went away when I got rid of most of our MF inserts. I've slowly started using MF again, but it's definitely not the majority anymore. MF just seems to hold onto smells. :shrug3

lalaithnil
07-14-2010, 11:34 AM
I went through this last winter for the first time. We had been CDing for over a year at that point. I tried all sorts of things - TTO, bleach, long soaks, etc - and the stink went away when I got rid of most of our MF inserts. I've slowly started using MF again, but it's definitely not the majority anymore. MF just seems to hold onto smells. :shrug3

Did you stuff with prefolds instead then?

SweetCaroline
07-14-2010, 11:54 AM
i use pocket dipes (PUL outside)- MF stuffed between, with a prefold folded up and put inside.
MF does smell wierd, in its own way. PUL stinks on its own too.
one thing i noticed DID help a bit was NOT using a wet pail or wetting them and letting them sit (like you're doing) i use a dry pail now, its helped.
IMO- smells are particular as in "particles" so, if theres a smell, some of what made it stink must still remain.
i use bleach because i know it kills germs. we're talking poop here. many feel that bleach leaves chemical residues, and shortens the life of the diaper-
lets face it, cloth diapers are not really absorbant. they're just not, so if using bleach means i cut their absorbancy by 1 or 2 pees? :shrug3
its worth it to me to kill all the bacteria- but if someones worried about the residues, i understand that
keep me posted on what the other site says!

Aerynne
07-14-2010, 11:57 AM
A vinegar soak in very hot water overnight solved my stinky diapers problem. I started w/ clean diapers to do it.

Quiteria
07-14-2010, 12:11 PM
We had our water heater set on max, and they still stank.

Peridot
07-14-2010, 12:30 PM
A vinegar soak in very hot water overnight solved my stinky diapers problem. I started w/ clean diapers to do it.

This. :)

I actually do a cold water rinse w/vinegar for every diaper load. It helps tons. Poops I soak separately, and immediately with bac-out. I dry-pail everything else.

FWIW- the biggest headache with the BG is the smell. But the vinegar does help. :hug2

lalaithnil
07-14-2010, 01:12 PM

I actually do a cold water rinse w/vinegar for every diaper load. It helps tons. Poops I soak separately, and immediately with bac-out. I dry-pail everything else.

FWIW- the biggest headache with the BG is the smell. But the vinegar does help. :hug2

White distilled vinegar, yes?

What's bac-out?

You soak the entire (rinsed) poopy dipey in it? It's ok to soak the bgs? For how long?
:think Sorry for all the Qs - I'm completely domestically challenged!! :shrug3

Jessica
07-14-2010, 04:01 PM
Did you stuff with prefolds instead then?

Yep, I use prefolds and some hemp inserts now. I just got too fed up with MF and its issues!

Aerynne
07-14-2010, 09:09 PM

A vinegar rinse didn't touch the smell for me, and mine needed the soak, but I have very hard water.

Peridot
07-15-2010, 04:53 AM
White distilled vinegar, yes?

What's bac-out?

You soak the entire (rinsed) poopy dipey in it? It's ok to soak the bgs? For how long?
:think Sorry for all the Qs - I'm completely domestically challenged!! :shrug3

Yes, white distilled vinegar. :yes And yes, I soak my BG's because the fuzzy brushed liner seems to retain everything. I fill a bucket with warm water, vinegar and a squirt of Bac-Out (http://www.amazon.com/Bi-O-Kleen-Bac-Out-Eliminator-Enzyme-Cultures/dp/B000IAEVXE) and throw the poopy diapers in there after I've rinsed them. Then every other day or so, I wash them with the rest of the diapers.

:thumbsup

A vinegar rinse didn't touch the smell for me, and mine needed the soak, but I have very hard water.

We have hard water, too. The vinegar works just fine with just peed dipaers, but the poop needs the bac-out. I use LOTS of vinegar- like a cup- maybe more. Vinegar is chap, though...:shrug3

Serafine
07-15-2010, 05:01 AM
:popcorn

subbing b/c my baby only has BF poop...but the day is coming, I am sure. :lol

lalaithnil
07-15-2010, 06:46 AM
Yes, white distilled vinegar. :yes And yes, I soak my BG's because the fuzzy brushed liner seems to retain everything. I fill a bucket with warm water, vinegar and a squirt of Bac-Out (http://www.amazon.com/Bi-O-Kleen-Bac-Out-Eliminator-Enzyme-Cultures/dp/B000IAEVXE) and throw the poopy diapers in there after I've rinsed them. Then every other day or so, I wash them with the rest of the diapers.

:thumbsup

We have hard water, too. The vinegar works just fine with just peed dipaers, but the poop needs the bac-out. I use LOTS of vinegar- like a cup- maybe more. Vinegar is chap, though...:shrug3

:clap:ty2:clap :hug
What's 'chap'?:shrug3

---------- Post added at 09:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:40 AM ----------

BG on fb never responded :(. Still, the bg site said use 1/4 cup bleach occasionally and Dawn original blue for stinky dipes. So I did that, and also did a vinegar wash as peridot said. They smell better. :clap

In the future, I'm going to do what peridot suggested above - soak the poo dipey separate in vinegar and bac-out (have to get some of that). Since she only poos once a day, this should help tons. Makes sense that they would all be more smelly since I was throwing a poo dipey in with all pee dipeys. :doh Told you I was domestically challenged!

Going to keep updating this as I try the suggestions!

Peridot
07-15-2010, 10:46 AM
'chap' apparently equals 'Cheap' in peridot's typo language. :doh

lalaithnil
07-15-2010, 11:00 AM
'chap' apparently equals 'Cheap' in peridot's typo language. :doh

:roll

rachelserine
07-15-2010, 02:38 PM
I'm glad your dipes are smelling better. :) I just have to say that I love Rockin Green soap - worked better for me than Charlies or anything else. They have some that is specially formulated for hard water.

I've also had issues with microfiber - i would highly recommend selling your microfiber inserts on diaperswappers and buying a couple yards of bamboo terry or fleece. Just cut them, sew them into squares that you can fold and stuff into your dipes. :)

And I disagree with whoever said cloth isn't absorbent - my kids have gone five hours (accidentally!!!!) with their fitteds and the diaper hasn't been soaked through. And they PEE and PEE! :P They leak through pampers babydry or huggies every night, but not through the bamboo fitteds.

Hope you start enjoying your dipes again! :)

Littledisciples
07-15-2010, 03:33 PM
:ty3 good info :heart

breezy
07-16-2010, 07:20 PM
had this problem with DS because he had the SMELLIEST poops in the world!!! switching to a sportswash did the trick for us. i get it at dick's sproting goods. small blue bottle and i think it's call "wyn".