PDA

View Full Version : part time EC?

Littledisciples
07-12-2010, 09:04 PM
So just kinda stumbled on to the EC thing. It is not feasable to do it full time. I was just wondering though if it is bad that I use prefolds for him to potty on. I am going to get a chair soon just haven't made it to the store in town. :O I bought one at wal-mart and I hated that potty. I want to get a baby bjorn one the little red saddle type potty. Another question is I been catching a lot of pees but not as many poops. I used to be able to catch both after every feed. One problem he is getting older and not pooping as much. How do I know he needs to poop he doesn't make that much tell right when it happens. Normaly a big fart and the poo follows. :doh By that time it is too late. Is this why many people wait tell 3 months.:shrug3

Meredith
07-12-2010, 09:24 PM
We did what I called "slacker EC" with Ford, and I considered it a roaring success. How often we offered varied widely with how amenable he was and and what was going on around us, but I considered anything that hit the potty (or the grass or the sink, when he was tiny) to be a success. We didn't do a ton of diaper-free time, but did mostly go coverless at home.

He decided to be done with diapers a couple of weeks after he turned two and never looked back, but there was awhile before that I was changing diapers twice a day because they were sweaty more than anything else!

abh5e8
07-12-2010, 09:32 PM
we only did part time...it was AWESOME! every catch was one less diaper to wash. :wink and dd got very regular with her BM signs, so very very rarely did i have a dirty diaper to wash. and she was dry/clean during the day by age 18 months.

Soliloquy
07-12-2010, 09:36 PM
My best advice is to do as much EC as is fun and manageable. I didn't start until Fiona was 9 months. We did great--about 4-5 pees per day (my kids don't give cues when they're going to poop, either :shrug) and then I got pregnant and was way too sick and tired to do ec. Back into dipes full time except for maybe one catch per week.

About 3 weeks ago I started her on ec again. Within 4 days she was pretty much out of dipes! She was in underwear full-time by her 2nd birthday.

So just do what you can, focus on communicating rather than catching. If he poops in his diaper and you hear or feel it, just make the cue sound same for peeing in a prefold. It's not where he goes, it's whether you communicate about it. Even a little bit, even if it's sporadic, is great.
Posted via Mobile Device

Littledisciples
07-12-2010, 09:41 PM
When I do use a diaper I change every wet or poo. I am freako about it so that is why I just used up one bag of sposies I bought last Friday :giggle Oops one bag has 40 that lasts me 4 days. I use cloth more at home and sposies on the go and for his visits. So even if I don't try to potty him I am changing very frequently. Before and after each feed and inbetween. I just took his before and after feeding and been trying to potty him instead. :shrug3 My hope is that somehow all this will pay off eventually :-/

---------- Post added at 04:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 AM ----------

So just do what you can, focus on communicating rather than catching. If he poops in his diaper and you hear or feel it, just make the cue sound same for peeing in a prefold. It's not where he goes, it's whether you communicate about it. Even a little bit, even if it's sporadic, is great.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is very helpful Thank You so much :heart

Littledisciples
07-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Totaly excited I just fed him and he got fussy. First I was thinking he probably needs a burp. So he wasn't burping and I told him do you need to potty. I took him in and gave him the signal over the toilet. He went pee right away. I seen him want to poop but wasn't sure. I kissed his cheeks and said its ok and gave the signal again. Boom he pood in the toilet. So I bring him back in and went to put a diaper on. He was so not done so I just made the signal to let him know it was alright and then picked him up took him back to the toilet and he pood again and this time a lot. :rockon It totaly worked. :heart Now he is all content and was looking at me like wow what did I do.

Iarwain
07-13-2010, 12:49 PM
That's awesome! It's so fun, isn't it? It's amazing to see.

When my EC baby was tiny I used little Rubbermaid bowls (the reusable/disposable containers with lids that come in a pack of 3 or 4) and left them in convenient places around the house so I wouldn't have to run to the toilet each time. If I couldn't get up to dump it immediately I could put the lid on so it wouldn't spill. I'm lazy like that. I didn't get a little potty until Rosebud was about 4 mos old, just used the potty bowls. There's nothing wrong with using a prefold if you don't mind washing it. I found it easier to just dump and rinse the bowl/potty rather than have that extra laundry.