PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Llee
07-08-2010, 05:46 AM
So, I have a dilemma. My MIL dried our dipes with a fabric softener sheet. I'd asked her again and again not to mess with the dipes and that I would wash them when I got back home again, but she wanted to be helpful. :dohWhat can I do? Please, please, let there be something I can do. And she washed them with powdered detergent. :hissyfit:cry2:sigh

What can I do?

Serafine
07-08-2010, 05:51 AM
Strip them.

There are multiple ways to do this. If you have a top loader, one of the most common ways is to use blue dawn, and then rinse and rinse until there are no suds at all.

Llee
07-08-2010, 12:57 PM
If you don't see me for awhile, it's because I'm sulking.

Bought the blue Dawn and will be doing that this evening again, and again, and again. Gah.

KatieScarlett923
07-08-2010, 07:34 PM
Yep, I'd strip them too. Hope it goes well!!!

Starfox
07-09-2010, 10:08 PM
*just* had this happen to me, although it was DH. :giggle

I tried the blue dawn and it didn't work great on my pocket diapers. (I did it like 4 different times!) I went and got some Rockin Green and soaked them for 1/2 hour and they're all as good as new. I hope you can get them working again! :hugheart

mamamonkey
07-10-2010, 06:41 AM
If the Dawn doesn't work, try RLR. You can order it online and it worked for my stink issues when the Dawn didn't.

Llee
07-10-2010, 06:59 PM
Thank you all! So, um, how do I know when they've been stripped? There was no smell, so I can't use that as a guide. I ended up doing vinegar first but I have the Dawn as a backup, just in case...

Waterlogged
07-10-2010, 08:09 PM
it depends on how much vinegar or Dawn you used. Dawn will FOR SURE get out all the fabric softener crap. I don't know about vinegar. In any case, you have to rinse and rinse and rinse and rinse and RINSE to make sure there's not any residue left.

I do a small squirt of dawn and then full cycle, full cycle, full cycle etc until I can see NO MORE SUDS.

bummer about the dipes. My MIL put on thick diaper cream on DD, and then a pocket dipe. I had to scrub the diaper with Dawn to get it out. :(

Starfox
07-11-2010, 07:41 AM
I could feel a difference in my diapers once the softener was off. They felt oily-soft when the softener was on them. Also, when you use them they'll either leak or not. If they work it's all out. :yes

Llee
07-11-2010, 07:57 AM
Ahhh. I haven't felt them yet. I knew there had to be a magic secret somewhere. :)

So, if you're doing the Dawn, when in the cycle do you check for suds?

Starfox
07-11-2010, 08:06 AM
I check in the rinse. I do a full cycle with an extra rinse, so I check in the extra rinse. Usually with my water I do about 3-4 full washes with extra rinse just to be sure it's out.

Waterlogged
07-11-2010, 08:26 AM
I check in the rinse. I do a full cycle with an extra rinse, so I check in the extra rinse. Usually with my water I do about 3-4 full washes with extra rinse just to be sure it's out.

yeah that. rinse rinse rinse some more.