PDA

View Full Version : DH washed one of my favorite wool covers with the rest of the diapers :(

TuneMyHeart
07-07-2010, 10:24 AM
it's now much smaller and looks felted. :hissyfit

mwwr
07-07-2010, 10:32 AM
That happened to me with a well-meaning babysitter. On the flip side, my favorite baby doll that I got for my first birthday now has a really cool cover. :tu

KatieScarlett923
07-08-2010, 07:36 PM
Ugh, I'm sorry!!! And this is why I never let DH do the diaper laundry....like get anywhere near it :lol

Sweet Life
07-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I did that myself just a couple of weeks ago. :blush To my favorite wool cover. I'm sorry. Maybe another (smaller) baby will enjoy wearing it? :shifty

cro
07-08-2010, 08:03 PM
I've done that. Twice. Cashmere. :( I'm so sorry for your loss. :hug

StumblinMama
07-08-2010, 08:25 PM
:nak google shrunken wool and hair conditioner. It may be salvageable

Jessica
07-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Oh no! I feel your pain. DH threw all of my Goodmamas in the dryer on hot... and the elastic was ruined. :sick

StumblinMama
07-08-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm back without my nursling so I can type with two hands;) There is a way you can use hair conditioner to soften and lengthen the fibers on wool that has been shrunken. I've never tried it myself, but it may be worth trying even if you're just able to salvage it enough to pass down to a smaller baby :hug. Here's (http://http://www.diaperpin.com/clothdiapers/howto_woolcare_kiwipie.asp)a link.

I shrunk my cover! Help!!!

Wool shrinks when exposed to shocking changes of temperature and/or agitation If your cover was machine washed or dried by accident (I don't recommend you doing this on purpose) and looks minuscule, there is something you can do to fix it most of the time.
You will need a big bottle of hair conditioner (the cheap kind is just fine). Fill your sink with lukewarm water and dilute half bottle of conditioner, soak the cover on it!... You can almost hear the cover squeal in delight :) Now gently stretch the cover until you get it back to its normal size using more conditioner if needed. Once you have it back to normal size, take good care to rinse it well and gently, using tepid water. Wash it with shampoo again to get every bit of conditioner out but been careful not to rub hard or using too hot or too cold water or you could felt it again . Finally rinse with clean tepid water and 1 TBS of vinegar. Why?... Because if left it in the cover the hair conditioner will cause the wool to hang on smells and be less water repellent/absorbent.