PDA

View Full Version : A question to the crafty mommas

mommie
07-03-2010, 11:14 AM
I amcurrently cltoh diapering my 14 month old. And want to cloth potty train of course and was looking into antsy pants however they are expensive! But I guess all cloth diapers are. However I saw a pattern for under wear with snaps and figured I could use pull in the design.
What I want to know is what I will need
Average starting price for materials
And how long it takes to make a pair
And a good place for materials ( I do live by a joann fabric) pull and cotton velour or bamboo.
I may make my own antsy pants for the begining.
Thanks!

Chaos Coordinator
07-03-2010, 03:03 PM
PUL (when did it become "pull" ? i see this more and more lately) you will have to buy online, they dont sell it at jo-anns or hobby lobby or any other store that i know of. likely the same with velour although you can get anti-pill fleece from a fabric store.

it takes me about an hour to make a dipe. its not hard but it does require some know-how

also when sewing with PUL use polyester thread to keep it from wicking.

Eesti
07-03-2010, 04:06 PM
They do actually carry PUL at JoAnns now...some stores anyway. If you ask for the diaper twill or flannel it should be near it. It is like $10/yd in the store so bring a coupon. You probably could find some cotton fleece there too.

It takes me about 20-30min to make a dipe but I have made quite a few. ;0

mommie
07-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Thank you. I think I may just have to buy sone of the underwear with snaps before I make some. My 3 year old is proving to be very slow going with the potty training and has just started to make works of art with number 2. Not to mention how gross it is to pull them down .so I may need those sooner then later. Does any one make those? And are they absorbant enough to catch a full pee? I want them to be like real underwear. But be able to hold a lot is it possible.
Going back to making my own. Do I need a special sewing machine or will a cheap one do? Also what is an good matieral for a soaker. I am thinking of using a cotton matieral for the lining so he will be able to feel wet and possibly learn quicker. I also think it be nice to do it own my own and feel good that I was able to make something like that.

Chaos Coordinator
07-04-2010, 08:10 AM
Magz on hyena cart makes some pull-on snap-off trainers that look like undies but have PUL in the wetzone so will catch 1-2 pees. also look for pocket trainers so you can adjust absorbency, and antsy pants makes cloth pull ups that look like the disposable kind but like 1000 times cuter!!

mommie
07-04-2010, 08:31 AM
Thanks for those tips. I am considering selling my whole stash when ds turns 2 just so I can get some antsy pants. They are adorable. I will probably go with the bamboo version if if I can't make my own.
I think my 3 year old won't go for the antsy pants. She only wants to be in underwear and the cloth just seems uncomfortable to he now. She doesn't even like the happy heinys pull up training pants...which I make her wear at night. I am going sell those and get some iplay pants. I hear they work good for night. Well I'm off to try and find this hyena cart..... I've never been there