PDA

View Full Version : wool scares me...

Waterlogged
06-14-2010, 08:22 PM
Mostly the upkeep...

For wool users...
pluses?
minuses?

isn't it itchy? i start scratching at the thought of it....

ThreeKids
06-14-2010, 08:24 PM
I can't wear wool, but dd does fine for the wool diaper covers.

Upkeep is pretty easy. It doesn't smell when exposed to pee. You just wash it out if you need to.

There are times when she can't wear anything else if she's not handling the heat well.

klpmommy
06-14-2010, 08:28 PM
good wool is not scratchy. All of my wool covers are not scratchy. It is soft and wonderful.

Bad wool sweaters-- gross & scratchy. :ewwww
my 100% alpaca wool blanket from Equador :swoon

Serafine
Love it.

I can't wear wool, but DD is doing great with all wool covers. It is all about the micron count...most wool covers have a much lower micron count...making them much softer.

I have knitted and interlock covers - soaker, longies, skirties, and wraps. All are awesome.

I wash mine once a month. If I need to, i spray some lanolin in the wet zone in between. easy=peasy.

itzj
We don't do wool cause I get hives from it. I got DD a polar fleece soaker for night and it works great.

WingsOfTheMorning
06-14-2010, 08:43 PM
Not scratchy at all. The plus side is that it's breathable, unlike PUL. I think it's great for night for this reason, but DD now insists on picking out a bright Bummis cover... :shrug3

Herbwifemama
06-14-2010, 08:46 PM
I have really sensitive skin, and so I figure if I can wear it, the baby can. I got a bunch of longies recently, and in the heat, I pulled them over my arm one by one, and if it itched, I won't use it. If it doesn't, then I keep it. Believe it or not, there is some SOFT wool out there.

Pluses- so many! It's breathable, so it's actually good in the warm weather, it's SUPER absorbent, so it virtually never leaks, and it's cute. :) Keeps a baby's bum DRY. Upkeep is a huge one too- you only have to wash once in a blue moon. Just hang to air out, and occasionally lanolize. I like Fern and Faerie's lanolin wash recipe.

Minuses- it's breathable and absorbent, so if you use it to sleep in, you're likely going to have a damp spot when you wake up in the morning. I don't like it under clothing for that reason. Wool is it's own bottom.

Serafine
06-14-2010, 09:00 PM
the key to avoiding the damp spot is to have a great cover, but more importantly, a very absorbent diaper.

Because in order for the wool to do its job (which is to absorb and then evaporate the pee out...therefore keeping baby dry), it has to have time. So, a lightly absorbent dipe is not going to give the wool time to work...a highly absorbent dipe gives the wool time to do what it needs to, without leaving any damp spots.

cro
06-14-2010, 09:34 PM
I love wool - especially in the summer b/c it breathes so well. Good wool is soft - not scratchy at all. I make most of mine from sweaters, and my #1 criterion when choosing sweaters is softness. (I use a lot of lambswool and cashmere.) Washing/care is easy, esp now that she's past the runny poop stage. Back then, we had more leaks so I'd have to wash more often. Now I just wash them once every month or so - a whole bunch in one night and they're done.

Negatives....um...pilling? addiction?

Aerynne
06-14-2010, 10:06 PM
I love it! I am so, so lazy you wouldn't believe it (just to illustrate, I don't do my hair, I don't iron anything, and for the longest time I would make muffin recipes in a square baking pan so I wouldn't have to wash muffin cups- until I got the silicone ones), and the upkeep is no problem, even for me.