PDA

View Full Version : swim diapers

DragonfliiMama
05-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Other than the swimming suits that are designed to keep solids in, is there any alternative to disposable swim diapers? We're using sposies in general right now due to laundry issues :-/ and I can do the sposie swim diapers, they just seem so expensive... on the other hand, I don't really know how fast we'll go through them. Any suggestions?

TuneMyHeart
05-30-2010, 05:27 PM
Target sells very inexpensive cloth swim diapers - I think the brand is Wee Wave. Usually $5 or less.

You can also use any cloth PUL cover since swim diapers only contain poop. Just don't use one that you don't want damaged by chlorine. :)

DragonfliiMama
05-30-2010, 05:44 PM
You mean just the cover with nothing under it? :scratch We were thinking of putting a cover over a regular sposie - but wouldn't that still let water in and the diaper would just end up flooded anyway? I'm not too worried about chlorine, this is pretty much just for kiddie pool in the backyard, so tap water. Where do you find the cloth ones at Target? Because we've been looking there and all I've seen is Pampers or Huggies disposable swim dipes.

aleigh
05-30-2010, 06:13 PM
we've gotten all of ours at target too. they're really affordable & i've used them with 2 kids. they're typically on the end caps in the infant section- where they put a lot of the infant sunblock hats, rashgaurds & swimsuits.

Katigre
05-30-2010, 06:31 PM
I use an empty pocket diaper and it works great - I've done that for a few summers now :).

hopeforchange
05-30-2010, 06:35 PM
target doesn't carry them in the store anymore. :( and they're $10 on target's website. we're going on vacation in 2 weeks and I need something for the boys but don't want to spend $40 (plus shipping) on swimsuits. :-/ so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Katigre
05-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Go on Diaperswappers (or other places that sell used diapers) and look for pocket diapers that have problems - maybe they're not waterproof anymore, maybe they have stains or a hole or something. But anyway, just get two for each boy and call it good :). The fleece lining is soft on their skin, the PUL outer contains poop, and b/c they're not stuffed it's nice and trim under swimsuits.

TuneMyHeart
05-30-2010, 07:52 PM
yes, just a cover or empty pocket. I have some bG's that would probably work for this because they leak really badly and I was considering throwing them out...

DragonfliiMama
05-30-2010, 08:12 PM
:think... do I want to be washing cloth if I'm not washing it anyway? :think

teamommy
05-30-2010, 08:57 PM
Now on my third kid and I've decided that "swim diapers" is a marketing gimmick. :)

There is nothing special about any disposable swim diapers I've seen. They do not keep pee out of the pool. There is nothing different from a regular diaper that I can see, except that they do not have tabs. I think either a disposable pull-up or a cheapie pair of plastic Gerber pants (vinyl diaper cover) over a sposie, would work.

Katigre
05-31-2010, 06:04 AM
Unless your child is having massive poops, the diapers can be treated just like a swimsuit and washed with regular clothing :).

Peridot
05-31-2010, 06:35 AM
I'm using my old happy heinies pockets for Minimus when we go to the beach. I think I have three.

I also have some velcro pul covers, and some stacinator bubble covers that would work. I figured on putting a thin liner in the ones that are just covers.

The sposie swim diapers aren't waterproof and poo can leak right out the side. Not worth it, IMHO.:)

DragonfliiMama
05-31-2010, 07:05 AM
unstuffed pockets it is, hopefully i can find some cheap ones.

Waterlogged
05-31-2010, 07:40 AM

You probably won't need to wash them. Just hang them up. The chlorine in the pool water will kill off anything left over from pee. Now poop is a different story - but what's the likelihood that your kid will poo in the pool? Mine poops 5x/day and hasn't yet pooped in the shower, tub or pool (and she's 14mos)...

Eesti
05-31-2010, 07:46 AM
Regular disposibles will just puff up in the pool and be a drowning hazzard. Also they come unstuffed when under water for too long so i wouldn't use them.

Any cover or unstuffed pocket seems to work well for us. But Bummis also makes a Swimmi dipe especially made for that. It is not PUL and has a mesh inner so water can get out of the diaper easier.

klpmommy
05-31-2010, 07:58 AM
if you're just in a little splash pool in your own backyard, I wouldn't use a diaper at all & just let her go bare bummed in a swimsuit. The swim diapers (cloth or disposable) are strictly for catching poo, not pee, so you are going to get pee in the pool regardless. We empty ours out pretty much daily to prevent mosquitos, so if some pee gets in there it is no big deal. Plus we move the location so that we don't kill the grass under.

solatido
05-31-2010, 07:03 PM
I was just gifted a bunch of used covers (mostly without extra gussets). Should I add a fleece lining? Or a mesh one? Or none?

Where is the mesh in the Swimmi? I wanted to go look at them this weekend but missed my chance. Can someone post a pic of the inside of them? I have seen a pic of the outside, but not the inside.

Eesti
05-31-2010, 07:39 PM
The swimmi is fully lined w/athletic type mesh fabric.