PDA

View Full Version : Best Cloth Diapers for newborn

mom-n-training
05-28-2010, 09:58 AM
Hi All,

Well, now that the weeks till baby countdown is in the single digits, I find myself still trying to decide how to start off this whole cloth diapering thing.

My instinct is to mostly buy prefolds and covers, with 5-10 pockets for family (and dad to start out with). But, I hate to spend all of this money on small prefolds and covers when he will outgrow them so quickly. Plus, I don't know how much he will weigh at birth either, and some of the smalls start at 8lbs which may be too big. What if they don't fit?? It really feels like I could end up wasting a bunch of $$ which is the opposite of the goal here.

I guess my main question is, what solution do you typically use with your NB.

What covers/prefolds/pockets seem to work the best for newborn boys specifically?

Thanks!

Marrrg
05-28-2010, 11:00 AM
:popcorn

mom-n-training
06-02-2010, 11:11 AM
Anyone have a preference?:shrug3

Aerynne
06-02-2010, 11:17 AM
regular adult washcloths in a nb size cover work great! :tu Prefolds are too big. You can also use the microfiber towels available in the auto section of Target.

Sweet Life
06-02-2010, 11:25 AM
I've only diapered one of mine as a newborn. :O

We used sposies the first two weeks, then went to cloth. My cloth stash was mostly prefolds and covers with a few pockets, just as you described. :tu :lol DH doesn't do prefolds. Or fitteds. :no

I thought it was a perfect combination.

Most babies spend quite a few months in the 8-15 pound range, so your prefolds and covers will get used plenty, even if they are a little big at first.

mom-n-training
06-03-2010, 07:51 AM
I've only diapered one of mine as a newborn. :O

We used sposies the first two weeks, then went to cloth. My cloth stash was mostly prefolds and covers with a few pockets, just as you described. :tu :lol DH doesn't do prefolds. Or fitteds. :no

I thought it was a perfect combination.

Most babies spend quite a few months in the 8-15 pound range, so your prefolds and covers will get used plenty, even if they are a little big at first.

After the two weeks of sposies, did you skip the newborn prefolds/covers and just go with the smalls? I was thinking that may work but I wasn't sure how much weight they gain in those first 2 weeks since this is our first.

Cookie Momster
06-03-2010, 08:23 AM
With baby #2 I used Fuzzi Bunz pockets size small. He was born 9lbs 12oz and they fit him from newborn until 7mo.

With baby #3 I used bumGumius one size. He was born 8lbs 10oz and they fit him from newborn to toddler

With baby #4 I'm using Green Mountain Diaper prefolds and Thirsties Duo Wrap covers with a few bumGenius all in ones. She was born 9lbs 3.5oz. I had bought size newborn (orange edge) and size small (yellow edge) and wish I had just bought the smalls only. The newborns do fit her but I actually prefer the fit of the smalls even though I have to fold down the back for fit. I actually don't find them that bulky even though I diapered my last two babies with trim pockets. Buying the newborns weren't a totally waste though because they make great doublers. I put one in a BG AIO for DS2's night time diaper. Also the GMD prefolds have good reslae value so you can recoup some of your investment. Oh, and I LOVE the Thirsties Duo Wrap covers (I have the snap version). DD2 is 2.5 weeks old and I've never had a breastmilk poop leak and she's gone all night without a leak. These covers are awesome and the leg gusset makes all the difference!

HuggaBuggaMommy
06-03-2010, 08:30 AM
I really like the nb sized prefolds (GMD orange edges), and they have really great resale value on Diaper Swappers, and can be used a doublers for older kiddos (plus, if your little one can move onto infant sized/yellow edges without using the smaller sized ones, you *can* totally get your money back reselling them). Then an inexpensive cover like Prowraps or a multi-size cover (like Thirsties Duos) are economical, too.

(ETA: posted at the same time as Cookie Monster!)

abh5e8
06-03-2010, 08:35 AM
i have CD both my newborns (and look forward to #3...still on teh same diapers!). we love green mountain NB size prefolds. i snappi first in covers, then trifold in covers when baby is a bit bigger. then we move to pockets and i use them to stuff the pockets. i am still using them now on ds at 19 months old, along with some trifolded microfiber clothes, stuffed in his pockets. i prefer the smaller size prefold to stuff the pockets with for many reasons...not as bulky, puts the bulk where i need it, not where i dont, easy to wash, quick to dry, cheap to buy. :)

they have been a great investment for us...not a waste at all. my favorite covers are prowraps size NB at first, then thirsties XS. after that we move to bum genius one size pocket diapers, which i stuff with what i have...mostly the NB prefolds and microfiber clothes (very cheap in auto section of sams or the like). i also use some of the microfiber inserts cotton babies sells and some flats.

ETA: my babies have been 6 and 8 lbs at birth...both used the same prefolds/covers...but ds moved more quickly to the pockets. he was really skinny...so even at 8lbs it took a couple of weeks before i felt like the BG OS were a good fit.

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

You can also use the microfiber towels available in the auto section of Target.

these are great stuffed in pockets (i use them in combo with NB prefolds all the way to PLing)...but the microfiber is irritating to skin, so i would not use these as prefolds. ;)

---------- Post added at 10:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 AM ----------

...and I LOVE the Thirsties Duo Wrap covers (I have the snap version). DD2 is 2.5 weeks old and I've never had a breastmilk poop leak and she's gone all night without a leak. These covers are awesome and the leg gusset makes all the difference!

i would say the same of our thirsties...although just the regular size XS. never any leaks, even trifolding and EBF poo. the prowraps never leaked either, although with those i was always using a snappi. well worth it to to me to have 6 covers in each size and never any blowouts. the covers would often get poo on them and need to be washed, but at least i was never scrubbing clothes. :wink

Eesti
06-03-2010, 08:37 AM
I would go with either infant prefolds or the yellow edge GMDs. 24-36 of them.

4 or so Thirsties duo wrap sz1 covers
2 or so either NB prowraps or NB bummis super brights covers.

And then if you want pockets for others I would look into the thirsties duo diaper sz1s or the Happy Heineys Mini One Size pockets.

LoveIsGentle
06-03-2010, 09:26 AM
Just echoing most of what everyone is already saying. We're using Kissaluvs fitteds and GMD orange edge prefolds with Prowraps and Thirsties x-small/duo-wraps. We have BumGenius OS pockets for nighttimes. So far, they've worked great. We used disposables for about a week then switched over. DS was 7 lb 1 oz and so far everything is fitting him well.

Sweet Life
06-03-2010, 12:30 PM
After the two weeks of sposies, did you skip the newborn prefolds/covers and just go with the smalls? I was thinking that may work but I wasn't sure how much weight they gain in those first 2 weeks since this is our first.

:yes I was able to skip newborn size b/c my babies tend to add a pound or more a week once they are born. :O I wouldn't count on that, though. I agree with other posters that you can not go wrong with having a bunch of newborn or infant prefolds on hand. They come in handy for *everything*.

expatmom
06-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Where did you all get your Thirsties Duo Wraps from? Anyone know of any good sales/free shipping?

Cookie Momster
06-03-2010, 10:42 PM
I got my Duo Wraps from Happy Baby Company (http://www.happybabycompany.com) - they have free shipping to the US and Moms Milk Boutique (http://www.momsmilkboutique.com) - they also have free US shipping and a Thirsties sale right now.

abh5e8
06-03-2010, 11:10 PM
My instinct is to mostly buy prefolds and covers, with 5-10 pockets for family (and dad to start out with). But, I hate to spend all of this money on small prefolds and covers when he will outgrow them so quickly. Plus, I don't know how much he will weigh at birth either, and some of the smalls start at 8lbs which may be too big. What if they don't fit?? It really feels like I could end up wasting a bunch of $$ which is the opposite of the goal here.

it seems to me the pockets will be the greater expense...not the prefolds/covers. you may save more $$ just buying a couple packages of sposies for family. or you may get some as baby gifts.

i have found weight to be a TERRIBLE prediction of which diapers will fit...bc two 8lb babies could be so very different in body shape...think long long and skinny...vs...chunky monkey thighs and short from the start. unfortunatly, its more try it and see what works...with your shape and size babe, yk.

mommy2abigail
06-04-2010, 04:47 AM
Prefolds and wool covers. We live in FL so I try to stick to natural fibers so the babe's butt doesn't get so hot. This time around, I will be getting some Thirsties for DH though, they have a little flap you can tuck a tri-folded PF into, and that should be easy enough for dh to handle.

I highly recommend the Diaper Rite prefolds or GMD (they are the same measurements). They are wider and shorter, making it trim, and easy to pin or snappi. And I'd definitely get the NB ones, if you plan to cd from birth. Like the pp said, you can use them as doublers, or in pockets, or sell them and get most of your $ back. We have prefolds that are going onto their third baby, and still look great.

mom-n-training
06-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Wow! This has been SO helpful! I have been going back and forth over this not sure what to do. So, having input from people who have actually been there and done that makes all of the difference. I felt like I was flying blind before.

Thank you all so much!

zak
06-04-2010, 04:35 PM
I used fitted diapers and nb/sm covers for the first week, but they were small from the first day.

At a week old I switched to regular old prefolds with a Snappi and small covers. :shrug3 This was the same for DS2 and DS3. :) They were 9.5 and 9.8 and by two weeks were over 11 lbs. ;) It really depends on the size of the babe. NB stuff never fit them. Small covers worked for 1 week.

That story can be contrasted to others who have had smaller babies. :) My friend has a new babe who was born at 6lbs and is just now able to get into his BumGenius stuff now at around 6 weeks old.

Sweet Life
06-06-2010, 12:06 PM
it seems to me the pockets will be the greater expense...not the prefolds/covers. you may save more $$ just buying a couple packages of sposies for family. or you may get some as baby gifts.

This is true. Pockets are spendy if purchased new. I've had great luck purchasing gently used pockets for $5-7 each. This could be a great way to go. I have found them on craigslist and diaper sites.

Mrs.KLF
06-09-2010, 08:35 AM
We started out with Kissaluvs fitters in size 0 and Thirsties covers in size XS. Isaac was 9 pounds when he was born and those worked for us until he was about 14 pounds or so. At that point, we moved on to our BG 3.0 OS diapers as well as some bamboo fitters and Thirsties covers in the next size up. He's now 19 pounds and we use the BG's exclusively.