PDA

View Full Version : Weston Price?

BlueWaterAnnie
05-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Anyone know of/follow the advice?

mountainash
05-05-2010, 06:54 PM
I know someone who does. Sounds interesting.

abh5e8
05-05-2010, 07:14 PM
we do :)

~yogamom~
05-05-2010, 08:11 PM
we do. :)

happyhousewife
05-05-2010, 08:21 PM
Lots of moms on here do....one comes to mind...rstump. :heart

Bonnie
05-05-2010, 08:26 PM
I know a lot of folks here do. People whom I respect. ;) But after reading the chapter on infant feeding in a (recent!) edition of NT, I refuse to take nutrition advice from them. :shifty I've found similar themes in other sources, and I cobble together what makes sense to me from that...

Zooey
05-05-2010, 08:30 PM
I know a lot of folks here do. People whom I respect. ;) But after reading the chapter on infant feeding in a (recent!) edition of NT, I refuse to take nutrition advice from them. :shifty I've found similar themes in other sources, and I cobble together what makes sense to me from that...
This.

~yogamom~
05-05-2010, 08:43 PM
The breastfeeding advice from WAPF is IMO really bad. I would consider making the formula though, in some circumstances. Sally Fallon and I actually exchanged words on this issue at a conference a couple years ago. :giggle But I don't throw the baby out with the bathwater-- Fallon had a hard time breastfeeding and this really colored her approach to it-- unfortunately she just cannot see that breastfeeding is the ULTIMATE nourishing tradition!

Bonnie
05-05-2010, 08:46 PM
The idea that a formula (of any kind) is better than the breastmilk of a woman who has a less than (their) ideal diet is just...yeah. I can get where her perspective might be colored by personal experience, but that just reinforces my unwillingness to take advice from her. ;) That's just so fundamental to me. Something of a litmus test.

~yogamom~
05-05-2010, 08:50 PM
The idea that a formula (of any kind) is better than the breastmilk of a woman who has a less than (their) ideal diet is just...yeah. I can get where her perspective might be colored by personal experience, but that just reinforces my unwillingness to take advice from her. ;) That's just so fundamental to me. Something of a litmus test.

I can completely understand how you feel that way. But this research comes from Weston Price, which I have found sound. I guess I see Weston Price as "God" here and Sally Fallon as the "pope"-- the pope can be wrong w/o making God wrong. (I am so hoping that doesn't sound offensive-- if this comparison is too off-color, I can remove!)

Bonnie
05-05-2010, 08:56 PM
:giggle It makes sense to me. ;)

And I could answer it accordingly, but I'll hush now and let this thread get back to it's purpose. I enjoy taking an analogy too far a bit too much. :shifty

Embracing Grace
05-05-2010, 09:00 PM
We use NT... it's a shame the breastfeeding advice is so atrocious. I doubt Westen Price himself would endorse it.

Sihaya48
05-06-2010, 06:51 AM
I got started on my journey to more healthy eating by reading NT and Eat Fat Lose Fat. But now I would describe us as eating Traditional Foods and I do not identify with nor give money to the WAPF. Sally Fallon's attitude toward breastfeeding, combined with their dogmatism have completely deterred me. Now I recommend people read Nina Planck instead. She promotes traditional ways of eating and is 100% pro-breastfeeding!

domesticzookeeper
05-06-2010, 03:29 PM
Sally Fallon =/= Weston Price

BlueWaterAnnie
05-06-2010, 06:47 PM
Wow, lots of really opinionated replies, I love it!

For those of you who do follow it, what's a typical daily menu like, for you and kids?

abh5e8
05-06-2010, 07:29 PM
we try to eat TF...but it doesn't always happen, yk. breakfast is either oatmeal (steel cut oats, soaked the night before) with coconut oil, molassas, cinnamon added OR eggs fried in coconut oil. we get local pastured egges and raw milk. we like green smoothies too...just fruit (some frozen), water and something green..usually spinach.

lunch is usually a bean or lentil type dish...lots of veggies. sour dough bread.

dinner...we are eating a lot of beef now bc we got a local share of a grass fed cow. pot roast, hamburgers, curries and soups are popular. usually salad with homemade dressing...i use EVOO, ACV, raw honey and some spices. saurkraut or pickles are the extent of my fermenting. we often have fried eggs and bacon or sausage for dinner, too. soaked pancakes are a favorite.

the kids have milk with 1 or 2 meals. (i try for 1). snacks are usually fruit, veggies, yogurt or raw milk cheese.

i can'd do liver or kefir...maybe someday.

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:24 PM ----------

we buy real butter...and i always add it to cooked veggies. i cook only with butter or coconut oil. i use olive oil for salad dressings. we try to eat a variety of grains...brown rice, quinoa, millet, oatmeal, wheat berries on occasion. popcorn with coconut oil and salt is a favorite snack. i think for us, replacing our usual things like oils/fats (now just CO, EVOO and butter), salt (now we use Real salt/unrefined), pastured eggs, grass fed beef, raw milk, pastured pork and cutting out the processed, boxed or bagged foods have been the big changes. more recently i've added the lacto fermented pickles, saurkraut and sour dough bread. we also dont' do any sweets. the kids get ice cream at birthdays and thats it. i use raw honey for baking and we have pure maple syurp for pancakes and baking...but those are treats...maybe once or twince a month. they eat lots of veggies...they love raw veggies with a ranch-like dip i make with plain whole milk yogurt and dill/garlic powder/onion powder. and TONS of fruit. we eat so much produce.

sorry to ramble...HTH

cobluegirl
05-07-2010, 08:58 AM
There are quite a few of us that try to TF. (Traditional Foods) ie Weston Price=Sally Fallon, or Maker's Diet.

Yes the BF advice sucks..but the rest of it is pretty good.