PDA

View Full Version : Would Sears Baby Book Be Insensitive?

jandjmommy
05-03-2010, 06:58 AM
Thinking of giving someone the Dr Sears Baby Book for 1st baby to open up the world of AP since I really wish I knew then what I know now.
But I know she will be returning to work--will it come across as insensitive to give her this book (I have not read it but have seen noted that it focuses on baby wearing)? Like I'm trying to tell her if she doesn't wear her baby 24/7 she's not "doing it right"?

Firebird Rising
05-03-2010, 07:00 AM
The Sears Baby Book is always my first choice for gifts to new mamas. I've given several out.I don't think it's insensitive. New mamas are pretty needy for new information and I would have loved to have had a book from the beginning, that was as detailed as that book.

lizzyd
05-03-2010, 07:09 AM
I think the Sears in general are pretty sensitive. It's been awhile since I read The Baby Book, but I believe that they discuss how working parents can be AP and they give tips on finding an AP caregiver.

ctab
05-03-2010, 07:22 AM
I would definitely give the Baby Book. I don't see it has a book with an AP agenda that would hurt someone, but a really great medical and developmental book for any new parent. I know lots of people that like the baby book that aren't AP.

SuperMama
05-04-2010, 12:30 PM
It's my go to Baby gift too. It has a section on working moms...

Sparrow
05-04-2010, 01:55 PM
I think its a great idea. I do believe it touches on returning to work and finding a caregiver that is compatible with your parenting style (like babywearing). I think the breastfeeding section also touches on pumping at work. I'll double check and try to get back to this.

Rabbit
05-04-2010, 01:59 PM
I give it, but only when I can also give something off their registry.

mamamonkey
05-04-2010, 04:04 PM
I think it's a great idea too. I think it does mention working and finding a AP caregiver. I think the Sears do a pretty good job of realizing not everyone is in the same place or situation and give suggestions to work with what you've got.

StrangeTraveller
05-04-2010, 04:07 PM
that's my standard baby shower gift :)

jewelmcjem
05-06-2010, 11:42 AM
I got one when I was a first-time mama. I gave it away, because I had learned the "right way" -- you know, Growing Kids God's Way.

I so wish I'd kept it!!

Annesil
05-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I have one sitting on my kitchen table, wrapped and ready to go tomorrow. It so packed with information that I think its an awesome gift (I kind of want to keep it since i had to borrow the one i read when ds was born and gave it back). There is a section about working parents, so I definitely don't think its insensitive in your case.

AngelaVA
05-07-2010, 03:39 PM
I certainly wish someone would have given one to me at my first baby shower :D

allisonintx
05-07-2010, 03:45 PM
the askdrsears.com website has some of the BEST advice for moms who are WOH and have to go back to work after their babies are born. I wish that the website had been up when I went back to work! The pumping advice there is amazing amazing, best on the web. I think having trust in Dr. Sears for advice from the outset because of a very accessible book like The Baby Book is a great place to start.