PDA

View Full Version : So, what book would you buy for someone to give them a gentle nudge

WildOlive
04-30-2010, 11:59 AM
toward AP? My SIL is pregnant. I could see her & BIL being pretty mainstream WRT sleep training etc. I'm sure she will breastfeed in the beginning. She will be SAHM. But, this is the one who couldn't understand why I wouldn't leave my exclusively BF 6 month old & his 4 yr old sister to go on a free week long trip to Germany.

I don't want to come across as holier-than-thou, I just want to give them a gentle introduction. I'm thinking just Dr. Sears Baby Book, since I can give it under the auspices of it being a great all around baby book. Any other suggestions?

Psyche
04-30-2010, 11:59 AM
I was just going to suggest Dr Sears baby book

Atarah
04-30-2010, 12:13 PM
An easy to use baby carrier - like a pouch, maybe? :think

(and The Baby Book. :giggle)

Llee
04-30-2010, 12:16 PM
I third the book. And you never know what will happen when the baby is here. I've been amazed at how many women change their minds once that bundle is in their arms.

Momma2Luke
04-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Definitely the Dr. Sears baby book..... it's what opened up my eyes to AP...

klpmommy
04-30-2010, 02:24 PM
I was admantly anti Sears when I was not AP, someone giving me that book would have turned me off.

Happiest Baby on the Block & So That's What They Are For are the two I would buy. While not totally AP, they are like gateways into it.

Bonnie
04-30-2010, 02:45 PM
Happiest Baby would have weirded me out back then. :giggle

I'd do The Baby Book if they're not already turned off from Sears, better yet his Christian Guide to Baby Care and Parenting or something like that, if they're churchy. It's a fabulously discreet but pointed response to Ezzo. :shifty

luvinmama
04-30-2010, 02:57 PM
I "fourth" the Baby Book by Dr. Sears. It really changed my life--I was a sold out Babywise mama literally DAYS before our DD1 was born, and my friend gave me The Baby Book by Dr. Sears after she was born (like within a day or two!) and it completely changed my life. I don't like to put that much emphasis on a book usually, unless it's the Bible, kwim?....but, really, it was SO easy to read, was engaging and Dr. Sears is a hard author not to love. And, yes, it is an auspicious way to talk "against" the Ezzo's and other similar authors. It's always a baby shower gift to any of my expectant friends. I just buy a copy of it wherever I find one cheap! :)

Leen
04-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Dittoing the Baby Book or the Dr Sears Christian one, for sure. I remember the Christian one as being really great. :tu

WildOlive
04-30-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm pretty sure they've probably never heard of Sears. I know they think I'm a little whacko already for nursing 3 year olds and whatnot, so I really don't want to give them anything too 'out there'. Some of you really were turned off by Sears? Is that b/c you had preconceived notions about him, or when you read the book you were turned off?

Garland
04-30-2010, 03:13 PM
If they are Christians, I would give the Sears' Christian book. It was the first one I read and loved it.

Here's a link to it: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Book-Christian-Parenting-Child/dp/0805461981/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272665553&sr=8-1

It isn't "too far out there" and isn't too crunchy/hippy-ish. It is very well-written and can be appealing to a wide audience.

klpmommy
04-30-2010, 03:13 PM
preconceived notions about AP

Momma2Luke
04-30-2010, 03:22 PM
I "fourth" the Baby Book by Dr. Sears. It really changed my life--I was a sold out Babywise mama literally DAYS before our DD1 was born, and my friend gave me The Baby Book by Dr. Sears after she was born (like within a day or two!) and it completely changed my life. I don't like to put that much emphasis on a book usually, unless it's the Bible, kwim?....but, really, it was SO easy to read, was engaging and Dr. Sears is a hard author not to love.

oh my... i could have written this post..... :yes same exact story for me... except the book that I was sold out one was the Baby Whisperer book.... but then read dr. Sears when ds was 2 days old...

Beth1231
04-30-2010, 03:35 PM
Just in case you aren't already convinced :giggle

A friend gave me the Baby Book by Dr. Sears and I loved the illustrations, ignored some of it (but read it) and referred back to it over and over during Flutterbye's first year. That friend is the one who introduced me to the concept of AP. :heart

WildOlive
04-30-2010, 03:50 PM
See, I had never even heard about AP really, before having Lydia. I didn't have any preconceived notions because of that (I suspect they will be the same way). She was a couple weeks old and a wretched sleeper when I hopped on the internet to try to figure out how to get her to sleep. I found Ferber, and I found Sears. I tried Ferber once for about 15 minutes and couldn't take it. Then I found Amity's World message boards, and realized that people really *were* parenting this way, and decided it all made sense to me and the rest is history. I didn't know ANYONE in real life who parented that way, and it was a real leap of faith.

I've never read the Happiest Baby on the Block. Can someone summarize, or tell me what you like about it? :think

I was definitely going to give her some kind of sling/carrier as well. :yes

dulce de leche
04-30-2010, 06:58 PM
Penelope Leach's Your Baby and Child: Birth-5 Years is AP, but it has a different tone than the Sears book that I think might appeal more to men, especially. The Science of Parenting is *very* AP, but is extremely science/research-based if they are more likely to appreciate an intellectual rather than emotional approach. I love Sears, too, though.

Mokek Kwe
05-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Baby Book by Dr Sears is awesome, but Happiest Baby on the Block might seem just mainstream enough to appeal- and it has a celeb note in the front- I think Cindy Crawford?

arelyn
05-01-2010, 04:07 PM
Oh wow!! Is it K?? If it is tell her I say congrats!!

And give her the Christian Guide to Parenting. It covers just about everything in the baby book but with extensive Bible references supporting why he thinks this is ok for Christians. It'll be good in case some other well meaning folks give them TTUAC. There's a certain well meaning family who offers it to every first time mom at church. Luckily no one else seems to be into it.

WildOlive
05-01-2010, 04:27 PM
Oh wow!! Is it K?? If it is tell her I say congrats!!

And give her the Christian Guide to Parenting. It covers just about everything in the baby book but with extensive Bible references supporting why he thinks this is ok for Christians. It'll be good in case some other well meaning folks give them TTUAC. There's a certain well meaning family who offers it to every first time mom at church. Luckily no one else seems to be into it.

:yes

And ew, who gives out TTUAC?? Thankfully, I've already informed them about that one MANY times in the past and they think it is over the top disgusting. Actually, she told me once that she was never spanked, so I don't think she'll spank. I could see B being a stickler on that, though.

WEN123
05-02-2010, 08:19 PM
What about LLL's Womanly Art of Breastfeeding? I can't remember for sure, but I think they have some chapters in there about AP. It's been awhile since I've read it though.

DesiringHim
05-05-2010, 04:26 PM
subbing