PDA

View Full Version : Interviewing babysitters/caregivers *NEW Question OP!

BlessedBlue
04-30-2010, 05:45 AM
Hit me with your short list of questions when finding a new provider. :)

-----------------------------

So, um, what do I say when I'm calling references? :O :bag

dulce de leche
04-30-2010, 06:51 AM
Have you read Protecting the Gift by Gavin de Becker? I loaned out my copy, but he has a fantastic list of questions in it.

BlessedBlue
04-30-2010, 06:59 AM
:doh

I'm not sure where my copy is... :think

cbmk4
05-02-2010, 10:37 AM
List of references (which will all be called)
CPR certified?
What do you think about spanking?
How would you handle...(hypothetical situations that she would be sure to encounter with your kids)
What fond memories do you have about babysitters you had when young?
If you could change anything about the way you were raised, what would it be?
What sort of information would you like to have about the children?
Are you willing to have a drug test and FBI/criminal background check and driving record search? (Then I'd do all of those)

BTW these are real questions we asked people before hiring our nanny. She has been with us for 13 years and we love her!

mwwr
05-02-2010, 12:03 PM
If applicable, I'd want to know about her parenting experience.

Definitely check references. I got a very unexpected "No way" from a reference once.

Kat
05-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm not sure how often you are looking for a sitter to come to your home. This isn't a short list. But depending on what level of care you are looking for, you might find a few of these questions to be helpful. :)

http://www.nannynetwork.com/Library/Parentlib/intervie4ndc.cfm

BlessedBlue
06-06-2010, 09:56 AM
New question!

What do I say when I'm calling references?

mamamonkey
06-06-2010, 11:47 AM
I just said "Hello, my name is _____. I am calling you because "nanny" provided your information as a character reference."

Then I asked how they knew her, was she responsible (meaning show up on time, be there when she is supposed to come, etc), would they recommend her to a close friend...can't think what else, it's been a year since I did this!

In our case, S's references knew that she was giving me their names and were expecting my call. I had planned to call all 3 of them, but after the first 2 were glowing and were people that she had taken care of their children previously, I didn't bother calling the 3rd.

Oh, and we did a background check prior to hiring her as well.