PDA

View Full Version : How do you do this with two different ages?

Raspberries
04-28-2010, 08:42 PM
How do you tackle going places for one of your DC that the other is not involved in? For example there is a story time for DD2's age group tomorrow at the library. I obviously would be taking DD1 with us as well. But I can't leave DD2 alone during this and I can't leave DD1 alone to roam the kids room either. How do I do this? Any tips? I can try to get DD1 to sit next to me with a book, but honestly, I don't see her sitting patiently for an hour with a book while I do stuff with DD2. I want to be able to go though.

Marsha
04-28-2010, 08:50 PM
I didn' tdo story time that young when I had kids that age. SEcond child is different, has a different life and stuff. I figured her life was enriched enough by being dragged to older siblings' stuff. Then when she became preK age, I took her to story time and older dd WAS big enough to go off and read or something, or particpate as long as she iddn't hog the attention.

LeeDee
04-28-2010, 09:14 PM
Honestly, I just don't anymore. I was tired of trying to fight my kids to get dressed and ready to go some place they weren't going to have fun, and spend the whole time there trying to keep everybody happy or else they'll misbehave.
We just stay home or else go to the zoo or something they'll all enjoy. I stopped going to LLL, to homeschool groups, to API groups and other meetings. I've been labelled the one who's no fun and doesn't get involved, but for me, it just wasn't worth it any more. If my kids are not having fun, I'm certainly not going to have fun either, it makes it miserable for everyone.

That was my very extreme way of tackling it! Not everybody's preference though. I'm sure other people could give you some more reasonable advice. I just don't have the patience and am a bit of a hermit anyway, so staying home suits me fine.

Ellen
04-28-2010, 09:54 PM
Your girls are the same ages as mine. Maybe try the storytime once and see how it goes? I would think DD1 might enjoy it too--A. might enjoy something like that if she felt like she was there to help show K. what to do.

For me--I try to stick to activities that I can do with both. I tried enrolling A. in a library thing for her age group, but the librarians were so strict about not having babies in the room making noise, and I decided the program was too academic and not much fun anyway, so we quit. However, I do have A. signed up for some other classes this summer, so I guess we'll find out how it works to have little sister watching on the sidelines with me.

tazmom
04-28-2010, 10:48 PM
We do some activities for each child and some for both. Dd1 has ballet, Girl Scouts, and age 5+ crafts. Dd2 has storytime, mini-movers, and age 2-4 crafts. Both participate in park day, playdates, all ages crafts, and Home Depot kids workshops.

I expect the child not in the class to be respectful and find something non-disruptive to do like read a book or play quietly. If they have a hard time with this, I remind them that both of them have things the other doesn't get to do and they need to be respectful.

After an unfortunate incident at storytime :shifty, I stopped going for a couple months. When we started up again, I made it clear to dd1 that she is not required to participate but she may NOT be disruptive. She's not too happy about it, but she behaves herself.

cbmk4
04-29-2010, 08:39 AM
have lived my whole child rearing life like this with kids spread out pretty far. we do the best we can. If I think it's reasonable for the younger or uninvolved child to do something quiet while looking on, we go for it. Sometimes, the librarian or music teacher or whoever works to include younger siblings who are along also.

filmgirl2911
04-29-2010, 09:52 AM
did you go? how did it work out?

illinoismommy
04-29-2010, 10:28 AM
We only go to story times and activities that are appropriate for the all the kids to go to. Occasionally we may do something with one child when its just a one on one event and daddy or myself is watching the other kids, but during the week when I am watching everyone I only go to events for everyone.

mom2g2b
04-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Like other posters, we just didn't go to storytime once I had three. The youngest is almost 2 and she's never been. Hopefully it's enought that I read to her and that her older siblings can read to her.

BarefootBetsy
04-29-2010, 12:32 PM
When I had only two, I took both to both storytimes (one was for birth-24 months and the other was for 2-4 years and it worked since my older two are only 20 months apart), but now we don't do storytimes...

Dd1 really wants to start dance lessons soon so I'm taking notes :)

abh5e8
04-29-2010, 12:53 PM
can't dd1 participate and enjoy story time as well? i have always taken ds along to story time and music class for dd and he enjoys it. it has changed as he has gotten older...now he is much more into it but it has never been a problem. they are a bit closer in age than your lo's, though. i'm not sure how we will handle it when there is something only for ds. i assume we will just stick to activities everyone can enjoy. our library has "family story time" as well as age grouped classes.

Raspberries
04-29-2010, 05:19 PM
They say on their schedule that they "strictly enforce the age rules". Not sure if that just means that no younger kids can be involved or if its across the board.

I did go to the library today, but not to story time.

BarefootBetsy
04-29-2010, 05:24 PM
I would ask the person doing the storytime about how they "enforce" the age limits - it might be that it's mainly to keep disruptive children out. Find out whether it would be okay if you bring both of yours as long as you don't advertise (to the other parents) the fact that one isn't the "right age" and as long as there's nothing disruptive about the other being there :shrug3

I might even just do it without asking depending on the situation :shifty

blessedwithboys
04-29-2010, 06:39 PM
The story time sessions at our library that are divided by age group do not allow siblings of different ages. They have a once a week family story time, so if I'm not comfortable with leaving one of them at their age group story time (you're allowed to leave and browse the library), then we just go to the family one.

Ellen
04-29-2010, 09:28 PM
They say on their schedule that they "strictly enforce the age rules". Not sure if that just means that no younger kids can be involved or if its across the board.

That kind of thing just bugs me. I can understand expecting a parent to remove a child who is disruptive, but the idea that different age kids can't even be in the same room bugs me. I wouldn't go. :snooty

blessedwithboys
04-30-2010, 06:22 AM
That kind of thing just bugs me. I can understand expecting a parent to remove a child who is disruptive, but the idea that different age kids can't even be in the same room bugs me. I wouldn't go. :snooty

It's actually perfectly reasonable. :shrug3 In our library's story hour there is often an activity or craft that would be inappropriate for younger age groups. I really understand why the librarians want to be able to plan for a certain age group and not worry about if someone is bringing their 1 yo to choke on a googly eye.

IMO there are lots of alternatives if you can't do the age specific story hour for some reason. It's okay for certain things to be age specific.

ValiantJoy07
04-30-2010, 07:57 AM
I didn' tdo story time that young when I had kids that age. SEcond child is different, has a different life and stuff. I figured her life was enriched enough by being dragged to older siblings' stuff. Then when she became preK age, I took her to story time and older dd WAS big enough to go off and read or something, or particpate as long as she iddn't hog the attention.
this is my mindset. If the oldest isn't going to enjoy it we dont' go...When she's 6 or 7 and old enough to wander a bit away and behave then we'll do things for dd2 (or the youngers) but until dd1 (and dd2 down the road [Lord willing]with her younger sibs) are old enough to be really helpful and control themselves with less of my needing to be 100% present we'll skip going out for the youngers and just do what the olders need to do.