PDA

View Full Version : Keeping kids in paper

Aerynne
04-27-2010, 02:21 PM
I can't afford to keep ds in paper. If he has unlimited access, my paper budget would be enormous. If I don't allow him unlimited access to new paper, he will draw all over and cut up every piece of paper in sight (and some are important, or are dd's).

And (a gentle discipline question, I suppose) how can I deal with him drawing on and cutting up papers I need? I haven't had success with keeping him from getting pens and scissors.

Waterlogged
04-27-2010, 02:29 PM
What about investing in a white board and markers or chalkboard and chalk? And old magazines/newspapers for cutting?

Rabbit
04-27-2010, 02:38 PM
Whiteboard is dirt cheap if you get it as shower board from a hardware store. And then you have a 4'x8' piece.

TuneMyHeart
we have a box of scrap paper. E's really into cutting right now, so I keep every scrap of paper for her to cut up.

Autumn
:yes We got a white-board from Target and some low-scent markers. They love it! When the pictures are really special I take a picture of them since we can't save them like we would if it were on paper. It's been a really nice way to let them draw as much as they want without having two squiggles on a piece of paper and then have them asking for more to draw on.

They also got an easel with white-board on either side for Christmas, so now they have that as an option too :thumbsup

Rabbit
04-27-2010, 02:43 PM
You can also get reams of butcher paper or newsprint.

abh5e8
04-27-2010, 02:43 PM
hmm....does dh work somewhere with a recycle bin? maybe he could bring that paper home for him to draw on and cut.

Aerynne
04-27-2010, 03:02 PM
I asked dh about a recycle bin. It's a locked box that gets taken care of by a professional shredding company. That was a great idea, though.

I like the magazine for cutting idea. Maybe even catalogs instead.

So do they make washable dry erase markers? He'd ruin his clothes otherwise.

Waterlogged
04-27-2010, 03:10 PM
If you have a copy place (office depot, etc) nearby, you might be able to get the "oops" jobs....

scrappyknits
04-28-2010, 01:38 AM
YES, crayola makes washable whiteboard markers

Does your church produce "recycle" paper that is blank on one side? They'd probably be happy to have you use it! Or grandparents? Or friends from office jobs?

We have a big roll of newsprint - it is a FANTASTIC way for my dd to get her creativity out!

megmac
04-28-2010, 05:21 AM
We keep a box full of odd bits for them to draw on or cut up.

Currently it is full of magazines, catalogs, unopened junk mail (opening it is half the fun for them :giggle), envelopes that important mail came in and various cardboard boxes eg cereal boxes and cookie boxes.

abh5e8
04-28-2010, 05:31 AM
another vote for the newsprint...our local newspaper sells the ends rolls for $1 each. they are TONS of paper. also good for tracing around little bodies and packing lots of fragile things. :wink