PDA

View Full Version : s/o of "What curriculum would you NEVER use"

Mama Rophe
04-23-2010, 07:22 AM
I'm wondering WHY you won't use what you posted.

Just curious. :) The only obvious one to me is the Gothard curriculum.

Mama Calidad
04-23-2010, 09:13 AM
:popcorn Very interested in following this thread. The only one that I mentioned was the Gothard one, so 'nuff said there.

kwisie
04-23-2010, 09:22 AM
I'll :popcorn too.

RosalieMarie
04-23-2010, 09:27 AM
I *like* worksheets and textbooks. It's how I learn, and I can tell it's what Lily needs too. We need LOTS of structure. The programs where it gives you a basic outline of what to read, do, and talk about make me want to claw my eyes out. :shifty I need to be told what to do. :shrug

It was hard for me at first to realize that what I was used to was best for us. If anything, I like to go against the grain of the people I grew up with. :giggle I figured there *had* to be something better than what I grew up with. When I looked into the curriculums that I saw were popular here I knew they would never work for us. Heart of Dakota especially seemed so far below what Lily was already doing. It was a tough pill to swallow.

Havilah
04-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Interested here, too. :popcorn

Waldorf and unschooling speak to me the most, so I was surprised to see how many mamas have big feelings about Waldorf and Oak Meadow. :think

If it's the hinky anthroposophy stuff then I totally understand. I don't exactly relate, but I do understand. :)

We gave MFW kindy a test drive and it wasn't for us at all. :no My best friend LOVES it, though, and can't wait for MFW 2nd next year. :shrug3

Mama Calidad
04-23-2010, 09:47 AM
We gave MFW kindy a test drive and it wasn't for us at all. :no My best friend LOVES it, though, and can't wait for MFW 2nd next year. :shrug3

:think I'm wondering if that's where some of my confusion with some of the answers comes from. I'm thinking "what would you NEVER use" in terms of deep philosophically opposed to terms. Not in..."well, I tried it and it didn't work for us, but if it works for someone else then more power to them" terms.

I have "interpreting the question" problems sometimes. :giggle

Castle On A Cloud
04-23-2010, 10:09 AM
:think I'm wondering if that's where some of my confusion with some of the answers comes from. I'm thinking "what would you NEVER use" in terms of deep philosophically opposed to terms. Not in..."well, I tried it and it didn't work for us, but if it works for someone else then more power to them" terms.

I have "interpreting the question" problems sometimes. :giggle

that is more what I was thinking too... I said that I would never use textbooky type things, because I really think that my kids will learn better from life, or more *real life* things, books, etc... I am an unschooler at heart. So, philosophically, I just could not use that type of learning material. That being said, right now I totally lean towards unschooling/ maybe some SL stuff... but if in the future I see that one of my children would be thriving with a workbook, fill in the blank type approach, I would most definately have to adjust my expectations... I hope I don't have to do that, cause we love books and unschooling. But if i have to, i will:)

Pragmatist
04-23-2010, 10:12 AM
I wouldn't use ACE paces (School of Tomorrow) because I think it is inferior academically. I know numerous people who went through the curriculum and learned nothing, had to repeat grades when they entered public school, and I have an adult cousin that went to a church school that used it and he still doesn't know how to read.

Castle On A Cloud
04-23-2010, 10:19 AM
See, the thing about ACE, is that I *would not* use it... just not my style, don't like the bibley stuff... But when I stopped using it in the middle of 10th grade and went to my small private school, I was far more *advanced* than the rest of the students... i guess my private school was very very inferior, academically speaking:giggle

brandi
04-23-2010, 10:25 AM
Landmark, IMO, is more extreme than ATI.

The rest of them ok to me, i'd have to try them out in order to form an opinion.

Quietspirit
04-23-2010, 10:50 AM
I posted Abeka and Saxon Math.

Abeka: Too many worksheets and black/white on the page for my eldest son

Saxon Math: Ditto

ReedleBeetle
04-23-2010, 12:00 PM
I put ACE paces (School of Tomorrow) because I used it as a student and found it to be academically inferior and theologically unsound with a lot of single verse preaching.