PDA

View Full Version : Something I'm trying today

Eowyn
04-21-2010, 09:38 AM
All of the kids are under the weather. Henry's new voice (post-tonsillectomy) is squeaky, and when he's whiny, it's like fingernails on a chalkboard. :shiver

I'm touched out and surrounded by short people who are asking for food or a drink or a toy or do to this or can I do what you're doing mommy every. single. second. today.

So what I'm doing is trying to change my attitude and interactions today. Every time I feel like running and hiding, or plugging my ears, or sending Henry to his room because he's squawking about something, or they're squabbling, I'm scooping up the child in question and giving him an enormous cuddle. People who feel bad, act bad, and since we all feel bad today, we're completely unpalatable for human interaction.

And so far, the cuddles are helping. All 3 of them are calmly playing a game on their computer, and they're taking turns. :phew

And I'm getting a whole load of boy snuggles. :melting

mamamonkey
04-21-2010, 09:40 AM
:rockon Good plan mama! Enjoy your boy snuggles!! heart

Bonnie
04-21-2010, 03:10 PM
:think :shifty

swimming with sharks
04-21-2010, 03:32 PM
you mean MORE LOVE for squawking children??? and less mom squawking? :bag

April G
04-21-2010, 03:33 PM
http://www.incourage.me/2010/04/what-every-family-really-needs-to-be-strong.html this post inspired me to do the same... :hug

tigerlily
04-21-2010, 03:59 PM
:hug
Maturity is facing challenges and plunging in despite the difficulties. You're boys are going to be as awesome as their mama as they grow up! (Daddy, too;))

mariposa
04-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Now that's paradoxical parenting!:heart And I mean that in a good way!:rockon

Castle On A Cloud
04-21-2010, 04:33 PM
That is actually a really good idea:yes

newday
04-21-2010, 04:38 PM
howd it go.?

I guess I should have read this about um, 10 hours ago... maybe things would have been different today. :sigh

---------- Post added at 06:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

you mean MORE LOVE for squawking children??? and less mom squawking? :bag

:giggle

Dandelion
04-21-2010, 04:39 PM
Thank you:):heart. I needed this today. I have been ignoring my kids, not necessarily on purpose, but out of need to get important things done. And now they are out of control. I will regain control by regaining control of my time and loving them instead of hiding in the closet on the phone:bag

lmgeenw
04-21-2010, 06:39 PM
That sounds like this house the last two days. I can't say I have handled it as well though. :blush Thank you for the idea and encouragement!

---------- Post added at 09:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:53 PM ----------

http://www.incourage.me/2010/04/what-every-family-really-needs-to-be-strong.html this post inspired me to do the same... :hug

I just finished reading this. So beautiful! Thank you!

jame06
04-22-2010, 09:02 AM
Thank you for this. I sooooo need to remember to just stop what ever I am doing and hug my kids cuz clearly they are waaayyyy more important than anything I am doing atm. :)

Eowyn
04-22-2010, 07:23 PM
It really helped that day. :heart

We still worked on the stuff they needed to work on, but my urge to use my Level 5 voice (super-loud) was much, much lower. :phew And it was much easier to correct the behavior when I had their ears. :yes

Karen
04-23-2010, 07:02 AM
I started doing this a little while back. I was AMAZED at the difference. Many people will see it rewarding bad behavior but I know my little one is most likely to act out when she is out of sorts. Cuddles help her get back into sorts!

AndiRoo
04-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Thank you for this! I have been having a rough couple of weeks, and really needed something like this!!!
Thank You!

Maggirayne
04-23-2010, 10:28 AM
I am going to try this!

And I will say I'm not fit for human consumption when I'm crabby. :giggle

passionatemom
04-24-2010, 04:14 PM
:clap I love it! We have been doing a hug at the end of our diaper-change routine. Now DH copies it too. And Emmett reminds me if I forget :D.

You should write a book based on this application of the feel-right-act-right theory. Hug Discipline.

So, this is the magic new idea that will make parenting incredibly easy, every day, right?! ;) No, seriously, it's great, I'm not making fun, just thinking wishfully. Don't we all think that way just a little bit, every time we hear a great new parenting idea?