PDA

View Full Version : Missing Toys

Thia
04-20-2010, 05:24 AM
My kids seem to think I know where every toy of theirs is at any given time. I spent 10 minutes this morning looking for a knight the size of a little green army guy before sneaking another one out of the box and pretending to find it. My kids get attached to playing with a certain toy and that's the only toy they want, but they can't remember where they put it. My 5 year old understand this, but my 3.5 year old won't and if I am not looking for it, he will have a huge melt down. How does everyone handle this? I don't think I should be responsible for their toys.

passionatemom
04-21-2010, 06:41 PM
I have a similar problem with my 2yo. Mostly our trouble is that each toy seems to have a "friend" that needs to accompany it. The red car has to be with the black car, etc. Cute that they're friends, but . . . He finds one, then can't rest until I have found the other. He's not yet really capable of searching on his own, and when I ask if he knows where it is, he always says "in the toy box" or "under the ottoman" which are where I tell him to look for lost things.

So, sympathizing and subbing.

scrappyknits
04-22-2010, 02:30 AM
my 3 1/2 year old is similar! (perhaps an age thing?? :shrug3 ) but I'm a mean mommy and won't waste half an hour looking for a toy. We are very tidy with our toys, so generally the toys are where they are supposed to be - or very nearby. I'm teaching HIM to look by giving him spacific places to check. (look under the couch, look under the coffee table, etc) It's not that I don't care if he finds it or not, it's simply teaching him problem-solving skills. If he has really looked properly and still not found it, then I will help him out on the search. As for knowing where all the toys are... I'd LOVE to know where that missing puzzle piece is to that brand new wooden puzzle... maybe it's hiding at your house?? :giggle
But, again, teaching them only ONE kind of toy comes out at a time - we keep the toys very tidy when they are not in use.

trustingGod2
04-22-2010, 05:22 AM
My problem is ROBIN (Batman) he is always missing always :scratch