PDA

View Full Version : Our First TDY :(

oneblessedmama06
04-12-2010, 10:06 PM
So, my youngest (20mos) still nurses to sleep. Every night, every nap. My oldest (3yo) has to have me or DH lay with him to go to sleep. We do not have a bed big enough for everyone, so its probably pretty obvious who gets what child to bed most nights :) Today was the first day of our first TDY. Its only a week, but still... We have been through 2 6mo deployments, but I was pregnant with #1 during the first and with my family for both. I have never been completely alone. It wasn't so bad, except that both boys ignored me and did everything they *know* they are not allowed to do. (That is a normal day for me). BEDTIME... they are wild, I can't leave my 3yo to watch tv or a movie while I put my 20mo down. It usually takes 10-15 mins, but I could tell tonight it would take longer. I do that for naps, just put on a tv show or movie, give him a snack, and tell him I'm laying brother down, be right back. TOnight, I tried putting him down in his room, alone. He got up and ran into my room twice, and they got all riled up again. I tried letting him sleep on the twin bed in my room, nope. Wanted to play and get his brother wound up again. This part really hurts. I took him back to his room, told him he has to go to sleep now, it is bedtime. Covered him up, he asked me, "Mommy, sleep with me?" :cry I had to say no, I can't, I have to get your brother to sleep, I love you, goodnight. I put the door knob cover on the inside so he couldn't get out again (I have done this for naps, and has 95% of the time been perfectly fine) and closed the door. I went back to my room, chased the little one down, and was getting him relaxed and on his way to sleep. My oldest is crying. Crying, screaming. It goes on for about 5 minutes before I just can't take it anymore, and go to get him. I get in there, he is completely freaking out. He can barely breathe he is crying so hard :cry He tells me immediately, "ghost in here, mama. I scared ghosts!!!" :cry:cry I don't know where he got the ghost thing from. I held him and snuggled him and told him he was safe and I love him and I'm sorry. He calmed down, I took him to my room and put him in the twin bed. He's okay now, he was telling me about his trucks as he was going to sleep. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do. I can't put them to bed separately, and I can't put them to bed together. We can't all fit in my bed, they don't like to lay next to each other :shrug3 They will just lay there and pull on the blankets and kick and shove.

This is going to be a VERY long week. I'm still new to GBD, and I am trying so hard, but this is much more difficult than I thought it would be :blush

Happygrl
04-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Bed time is so hard when you're solo parenting! Could you put your oldest on the floor in your room while putting younger down on your bed? That is what I'd often do. I'd make it an extra cozy "nest" and shed snuggle down.

thrillofhope
04-13-2010, 05:02 PM
Hugs to you, mama. If it's only a week, could you have a "campout" and sleep on the floor?

I Love Jesus
04-13-2010, 05:40 PM
:hugheart How frustrating and stressful! I hope tonight goes better.

What about putting the 3y/o down first while the little one is secured in a high chair in front of the TV for a few minutes? Then you can take the little one with you to bed and put him down without incident from the 3y/o?

And I'm new here. What is TDY?

swimming with sharks
04-13-2010, 06:00 PM
:hugheart How frustrating and stressful! I hope tonight goes better.

What about putting the 3y/o down first while the little one is secured in a high chair in front of the TV for a few minutes? Then you can take the little one with you to bed and put him down without incident from the 3y/o?

And I'm new here. What is TDY?

I'd put the big down first as well :hugheart it's hard

tdy - temporary duty for military members ~ like a business trip but can often be for 6 mths, 12 mths or more and oftentimes there is no contact

oneblessedmama06
04-13-2010, 07:11 PM
I have my 3yo in his twin bed (that was just becoming my 20mo's!) in our room now. I would put him down first, but my little one will cry if I leave him. And it usually takes at least an hour to get my 3yo down. It is his time to chit chat and "reflect" on his day :giggle I'm just going to have to leave him out here while I get the younger one to sleep. Hopefully it won't be too bad tonight, they both seem pretty calm right now :D Today went better, I'm caught up on laundry and dishes for the first time in... forever? I think now I understand why everyone says its easier when they're gone :O We'll see how tomorrow goes, I have to work and we have church tomorrow night! Looks like the rest of the week is going to be busy, so maybe that is what we need :yes

This is very short TDY, and he's not even leaving the state really. Makes NO sense to me what the point is, but if it makes sense, then its not the military way :no

Now that I've finally had dinner, at 9pm, its time to get the kiddos in bed! Pray for me :pray4 :)