PDA

View Full Version : Winter to Summer: Do It All???

Thia
04-01-2010, 02:53 PM
Once again I am having a very hard time transitioning from winter to summer. In the winter, there is a lot of time to get the housework done and school and anything else that requires attention. Suddenly, the weather changes and on top of everything I am already doing, I'm supposed to be bringing the kids outside for a couple hours each day and b/c of the energy they're burning, they really need quiet time too. And I'm pregnant which means that most of my energy is in the morning and that is when I need to get the housework done. Then the baby naps right after lunch, so by the time we get out then back in and make them clean up their morning messes there's not much time for quiet time and I'm scrambling to make dinner. It stresses me out (as does the extra heat and sun beating on me).
I know I need to simplify meals, but our grill is broke and not a high priority for my husband to fix. So I'm basically stuck cooking the same stuff as I do in winter, which takes more time than throwing meat on the grill. Eating meatless is not an option for my husband.
The baby is not ready to nap any earlier, I've tried and it just messes lunch up and she's cranky later in the day when I really do not have time to coddle her.
I just am so frustrated and tired and dreading the summer before us which includes moving and the birth of baby number 4.
How do you do it?

Barefoot Bookworm
04-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Can you do a lot of cold salads that can be prepared during quiet time and sit in the fridge until dinner like tomato/mozzarella salad, Greek salad, macaroni salad, potato salad, etc? Then you don't have to worry about the sides, you just have to focus on cooking the meat.

abh5e8
04-01-2010, 03:30 PM
:hug the transition is tough for me too. i try to plan the day so the outside time = less mess made inside. how much time do you spend on school? do you have a fenced in yard where the kids can be while you are inside?

if not (that would be me)...we usually get up at 7 (the kids 7.30) and i get busy. unload dish washer, start laundry, put breakfast on the table/clean up kitchen and make lunch. kids eat when they are up and hungry and by the time they are done, we are out the door. (usually 9am). i make them do a quick pick up before we leave. we usually go to a park (maybe a quick errand) to play, read some books and eat lunch. we come home at 1 and they go right to bed. then i change laundry and prep dinner. and whatever else needs to get done. after nap they can just play at home while i work on dinner. after dinner they pick up toys and family room while i clean up kitchen. then bath, story and bed. (sometimes play time, depending on how late it is). they go to bed on the early side...by 7.30. and then i am pretty much DONE. i check email, hang out with dh, talk on the phone, read, etc. i might fold laundry while i watch tv.

can you do some school outside?

Aerynne
04-01-2010, 03:57 PM
You can also make casseroles, lasagna, enchiladas, etc, early in the day and put in the fridge. Then throw them in the oven an hour before dinner.