PDA

View Full Version : How to support a preschooler who is academically advanced?

Katigre
03-08-2010, 12:24 PM
I am really looking for guidance and insight.

Background on myself: I was an early reader and was ahead in math too, both came easily to me. Anyone who sees me post around here much knows I'm still quite verbally inclined ;) and fairly nerdy :glasses Now DS...he is so much like me...both in personality in general and his academic abilities.

He turns 4 at the end of this month. I'm of the general mindset that early academics are not beneficial long-term and can make kids associate learning with 'work' instead of enjoyment. That play is the work of childhood.

But DS...he really enjoys the academic. Since he was a toddler he's been really into letters and numbers (He taught himself the letters before he was 24 months, and he made a calculator his lovey when he was 2-3 :giggle) We don't have 'educational toys' in our house, he doesn't watch videos that emphasize those things, he just naturally gravitates to them (he's also very musically inclined so I think the numbers/music interests go together in his brain).

He's teaching himself to read and can do 2 digit addition/subtraction in his head (i.e., here are two examples from last week when he got a bunch of straws from his grandma - "Me: You have 50 straws in each package, if you have two packages, how many straws will you have? DS: 100!" or "The package has 50 straws, we've picked up 47, how many do we need to find?" DS: Three!" I asked him those questions out of curiosity b/c I wondered how well he did numbers in his head b/c he's always counting and categorizing things...and I was shocked he could do them easily).

He just started writing all his letters in the past few weeks - before he could only do them if we dotted them for him to trace (which he'd often ask us to do).

And now I'm stumped about how to proceed from here. He was looking at a Lakeshore Learning catalogue a few weeks ago and picked out a bunch of math stuff he wanted for his birthday. He's memorizing sight words left and right, I'd say he's got 100-200, many of which I didn't even know he knew.

Does "Not pushing early academics" equal "Discourage a focus on them"? He gets plenty of free play time each day and does a variety of things to entertain himself. What does it look like to help a child learn to read and do early math when they are newly 4?

FWIW, we're not sure if we'll homeschool or do a dual language immersion program at our public school. If we homeschool he'll go to a classical homeschool coop that I currently teach at.

Ok, this really rambled. I just want to support him and not hinder his growth. Should I just leave him alone and see how he progresses on his own, answering questions as they come up? Is it important that he learn phonics along with (or before) he amasses a huge vocabulary of sight words (and do I need to try and introduce that) or just let it happen in whatever order?

Sweet Life
03-08-2010, 12:30 PM
No advice, just subbing. :heart

Pragmatist
03-08-2010, 02:37 PM
As an early reader myself, I would say teach him to read. I would not push in any way, but if he's interested, go for it. Same for math.

You're meeting the needs of your individual child. If he wasn't ready or interested, you shouldn't force him. Since it sounds like he is ready and very interested, meet his needs for academic stimulation.

tessiemae
03-08-2010, 03:17 PM
It's a wonderful blessing and a challenge to have a precocious and eager learner. :)

Our oldest child learned to read on his own and was reading and talking before he walked. By the time he was five, he could read any book in our home whether that be the phone book, the dishwasher manual, great literature, or our old engineering and science texts.

Only a bad environment can stop a child from learning. Learning is as natural as breathing, and I don't think parents have to work to encourage a child who is engaged, attached, and interested in his/her world. That said, I believe wholeheartedly in protecting the spirit of each of my children, in protecting their innocence, and in allowing them to rejoice in childhood without being pushed into adulthood or rushed.

My oldest is silly and sweet and truly kind. While he is obviously extremely bright and well-read, what I am really proud of is his character. It's my job to help my children to develop their special gifts from God. For my oldest, this means that I closely tend his spirit. He does not read Dickens or dark literature, even if it is truly excellent, because he is young. Intellectually mature children, just in my opinion, need to have especially conscientious parents to make sure that their spirits aren't getting too far ahead even if their minds might seem capable. It's been an absolute joy to work at finding excellent, age-appropriate literature and other books to engage my son.
It's also one of the reasons we homeschool our children. Our youngest is maybe 3-4 grades ahead in math, but not in writing. With homeschooling, I can purchase grade 7 math and grade 3 English for the same child. What I really like is that my children have the tremendous gift of time --- hours and hours each afternoon to create projects, write plays, make books, build in the garage ... every day.

I think it's great that you are so in tune with your little boy. :) I would trust your own instincts -- you are uniquely called to care for him.

at His feet,
tessiemae

Tasmanian Saint
03-09-2010, 01:25 AM
I think 'academic' is an adult label. Whatever he wants to be doing is play to him. When he's had enough, he'll do something else.

doubleblessings
03-09-2010, 05:38 AM
I have no advice about the reading stuff, mine are not early readers. :shrug3

For math/logic...I would encourage looking for patterns and playing with them. Estimation, sorting, and classifying and one to one coorespondence. All of this can be with everyday objects - buttons, straws, nuts and bolts, you name it.

I might get some logic/math type games for his mathematical mind.
We love:
Gobblet Jr (http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Orange-4102588-Gobblet-Junior/dp/B0000E1P87) (we now have the regular version)
Mastermind for Kids (http://www.amazon.com/Mastermind-3020-06-For-Kids/dp/B00004TFZL/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1268136265&sr=1-1)
RushHour Jr (http://www.amazon.com/Think-Fun-5040-ThinkFun-Rush/dp/B00004WJSN/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1268136306&sr=1-1) and others by ThinkFun (http://www.thinkfun.com/) (we also have Clever Castle, Zingo, TipOver, SquarebySquare, Sudoku 4x4)
SumSwamp (http://www.amazon.com/Sum-Swamp-Addition-Subtraction-Game/dp/B00004TDLD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1268149990&sr=1-1)
Mancala
Chess
Make N Break (http://www.amazon.com/Ravensburger-PZ043151-Make-N-Break/dp/B0002CYTXK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1268149963&sr=1-1)
Qwirkle (http://www.amazon.com/MindWare-32016-Qwirkle-Board-Game/dp/1933054395/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1268149939&sr=1-1)
Set Game (http://www.amazon.com/SET-Enterprises-4098363-Game/dp/B00000IV34/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1268149911&sr=8-1)

inesperada
03-09-2010, 07:43 AM
I think 'academic' is an adult label. Whatever he wants to be doing is play to him. When he's had enough, he'll do something else.

I could not possibly agree more. We chose to embrace it. My ds *liked* doing a math workbook at four, he liked learning to and practicing reading. He had a collection of calculators for his lovie. We did what I would call unschooling, because he did it when he felt like it and as long as he felt like it, but I chose to supply the tools. And sometimes that meant he wanted me to sit down with him and do 9 lessons in a row out of a curriculum.

He is still challenged in school and at six, I know that's something a lot of people wouldn't agree with. It's best for *him* on a multitude of levels, though.

andrea_r
03-09-2010, 08:10 AM
As an early reader (at age 4) who remembers what it was like, just go with the flow. :)

I don't actually think you need to concentrate on phonics much. He will naturally pick up that letters have sounds with the more sight words he gets. Having said that, the book "Teach Your Child to Read in 100 easy lessons" would be some thing to try. It's less than $20, is easily resellable, and it structured very loosely. Enough so that you probably will not finish the book at all. And that is fine.

Otherwise, just follow his lead and answer questions to the best of your ability. "I don't know, but let's go find out," is an acceptable answer too. ;)

mamaKristin
03-09-2010, 08:44 AM
That sounds a lot like my son at that age :)

We did a lot of reading together, both us reading to him and him pointing out words he knew, and then reading to us as he was more confident. We played a lot of games - card games, board games, games we made up with coins. Another thing we did was start reading non-fiction books too - he loved space, weather and sports related books.

In any case, encouraging them to do what they find interesting is generally never a bad choice. :yes My son is now in a language immersion program at school, so if you do consider going that route, you wouldn't be the first :)

Kiara.I
03-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Otherwise, just follow his lead and answer questions to the best of your ability. "I don't know, but let's go find out," is an acceptable answer too. ;)

Actually, it's an *awesome* answer. I don't want my kids to think I know all the answers, I want them to learn how to learn. Going and looking things up is a life skill (or a hobby....) I do it all the time. Drives my husband batty, but he's adjusting. :glasses

Yes, if he's interested, it *is* his play. Let him play. :)

andrea_r
03-09-2010, 01:43 PM
I don't want my kids to think I know all the answers, I want them to learn how to learn. Going and looking things up is a life skill

Exactly! And it gently gives them more independence. ;) Sneakily though, and they don't understand it until they are adults.

Katigre
03-09-2010, 04:43 PM
:heart Thank you so much for the insight and advice.

It confirmed my instinct to continue letting his learning be DS-driven and not trying to 'manage' it. Anytime I've tried to do this stuff with him at my initiation instead of his own he hasn't been interested so your responses reconfirmed for me to back off and trust his desire to learn to lead the way :yes.

I had not considered buying some workbooks and making them available to him when he wants - that is a great idea. We had a Kumon "Let's Cut Paper" workbook that he did last month and thoroughly enjoyed, so I just ordered a few more for him and he was so excited to pick them out. We got one on uppercase letters (he's been spending tons of time practicing writing lately), coloring (something he doesn't spend much time on at all and would be a good skill to practice), another cutting one (love how they do the Kumon cutting stuff!), and rhyming words (he loves to have conversations with me like they're straight out of Princess Bride where we rhyme back and forth :giggle).

They were '4 for 3' on amazon which means we got one for free. I'll show them to him when they come and put them in the art drawer so he can get them out when he's interested. http://www.kumonbooks.com/home/index.aspx