PDA

View Full Version : I hide from my kids.

NewLeaf
02-26-2010, 09:38 AM
Okay, not hide exactly. :shifty

But say I'm in the dining room trying to do something. Dd will pester me to death. Finally I'll tell her she needs to go find something to do, so she'll leave in a huff.

She'll go sit somewhere and then get involved in a activity, playing, talking to herself, having a great time. So then, I do everything I can to quietly continue my task and then anything else I can possibly do before I have to leave that room and go to another because the moment I move or make myself visible she is back under me telling me how bored she is, 'can I have ___', 'can I have ___', 'can I have ___'. Not to mention it brings the little one running too and he wants to climb, touch, drag, steal, eat EVERYTHING that Mom touches or looks at.

Heaven forbid I need a step stool or a hammer or a dust cloth that I've forgotten in the other room. :doh I will literally agonize over how much I need that item because it will cause a huge interruption in finishing whatever it is I'm trying to accomplish.

So, what in the world makes them do this? It drives me nuts! They seem perfectly content until they catch site of me. It makes accomplishing things so difficult!

allisonintx
02-26-2010, 09:40 AM
Line of Sight is a powerful thing. Engage to disengage is a skill that takes honing.

NewLeaf
02-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Line of Sight is a powerful thing. Engage to disengage is a skill that takes honing.
:giggle Sounds like a line from a crisis management manual.

allisonintx
02-26-2010, 09:42 AM
:haha IT DOES! I should quick get a TM on it!

Karen
02-26-2010, 02:39 PM
I have to do this with my 10 month old son. If he can see me, he pitches a fit until I pick him up. If cannot see me, he happily plays. So I feel like a stealth ninja trying to clean the rest of the house and peek in on him.

Blue Savannah
02-26-2010, 02:41 PM
Your title made me :haha :haha :haha

But I have NO IDEA what you're talking about. None. At. All. :shifty :angel

:sigh

~yogamom~
02-26-2010, 02:45 PM
I so understand. I think it's pretty normal on their part-- they are doing fine until they see us and think they could be doing better if we were right there with them. I also don't disturb them if they're playing fine without me-- even if it means I stay in the kitchen and just breathe.

NewLeaf
02-26-2010, 02:45 PM
Like, it's the WORST if I'm trying to clean because I'm going from room to room constantly and they just follow me like little flesh eating zombies! :lol

I actually put them in their room today and put up a baby gate! :jawdrop It never worked before (they stand there like prisoners running their tin cup across the bars and heckling and shoving) but today they gave up after a minute and PLAYED IN THEIR ROOM! I wonder how long this new tactic will work? :pray4

Oh, and 'the line of site' rule still hold, even if they are contained. I had to avoid passing by their room lest I cause prison riot again. :lol

Leen
02-26-2010, 03:01 PM
ITU...the same thing happens at our house, OFTEN. :shifty

Stacy
02-26-2010, 03:09 PM
Okay, not hide exactly. :shifty

But say I'm in the dining room trying to do something. Dd will pester me to death. Finally I'll tell her she needs to go find something to do, so she'll leave in a huff.

She'll go sit somewhere and then get involved in a activity, playing, talking to herself, having a great time. So then, I do everything I can to quietly continue my task and then anything else I can possibly do before I have to leave that room and go to another because the moment I move or make myself visible she is back under me telling me how bored she is, 'can I have ___', 'can I have ___', 'can I have ___'. Not to mention it brings the little one running too and he wants to climb, touch, drag, steal, eat EVERYTHING that Mom touches or looks at.

Heaven forbid I need a step stool or a hammer or a dust cloth that I've forgotten in the other room. :doh I will literally agonize over how much I need that item because it will cause a huge interruption in finishing whatever it is I'm trying to accomplish.

So, what in the world makes them do this? It drives me nuts! They seem perfectly content until they catch site of me. It makes accomplishing things so difficult!

This. is. my. life. 100%. Scary. :yes

Victorious
02-26-2010, 03:18 PM
I've been known to dust with a stray sock. I've also done the stealth ninja -roll under the church nursery dutch door so they won't remember that they miss me :doh

NewLeaf
02-26-2010, 03:21 PM
I've been known to dust with a stray sock. I've also done the stealth ninja -roll under the church nursery dutch door so they won't remember that they miss me :doh
:roll I've crawled from room to room before. :sh4

Aerynne
02-26-2010, 03:42 PM
Yeah, I don't know why they expect us to entertain them. I tell dd she's responsible for her own entertainment, and while she agrees with me in theory, it's hard for her in practice.

Niphredil
02-26-2010, 04:19 PM
Yeah, erm, I'm thought many times how grateful I am for the layout of this new house. I can get from the kitchen/computer area to the bathroom without being seen from the living room. :shifty

pookel
02-26-2010, 05:03 PM

Is there any other way to dust? :scratch

I love this thread!

Rabbit
02-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Seth can't even handle it right now if I so much as change chairs, but I am also never out of their sight.

Maggirayne
02-26-2010, 05:25 PM
ROFL: "flesh-eating zombies" and heckling prisoners.

Karen
02-26-2010, 05:59 PM
This thread is awesome. I thought I was the only one.

Momys
02-26-2010, 08:56 PM
Do you live in my house???? :-)

Abibigail
02-26-2010, 09:26 PM
This thread makes me happy. :)

NewLeaf
02-27-2010, 08:42 AM
I had a feeling I wasn't the only one. :giggle

amyhntr2
02-27-2010, 07:48 PM
So funny!! I have totally had to start doing this just in the last two weeks. Now I know what I have to look forward to! :giggle

naechelle
02-27-2010, 07:53 PM
So,I'm feeling really normal right now. :D Thanks....and happy hiding!

:heart Renee

Chaos Coordinator
03-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Like, it's the WORST if I'm trying to clean because I'm going from room to room constantly and they just follow me like little flesh eating zombies! :lol

I actually put them in their room today and put up a baby gate! :jawdrop It never worked before (they stand there like prisoners running their tin cup across the bars and heckling and shoving) but today they gave up after a minute and PLAYED IN THEIR ROOM! I wonder how long this new tactic will work? :pray4

Oh, and 'the line of site' rule still hold, even if they are contained. I had to avoid passing by their room lest I cause prison riot again. :lol

lmbo.

i so know the feeling. and i only have 1. :)

NewLeaf
03-02-2010, 08:58 PM
You know what we need? That secret passage like in Clue. No crawling necessary. Clean the lounge and then pop over to the conservatory unseen! :phew

Leen
03-02-2010, 11:42 PM
You know what we need? That secret passage like in Clue. No crawling necessary. Clean the lounge and then pop over to the conservatory unseen! :phew

:roll

Love it!!

movinforward
03-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks for being so honest about this...now I feel like I am "normal." Thank you!

allisonintx
03-03-2010, 09:04 AM
Destination, Determination, Deliberation.....and careful not to splinch off the nunnies, as the children really miss them

NewLeaf
03-03-2010, 09:14 AM
:haha

Mama Rophe
03-03-2010, 09:23 AM
This thread just made my day. Hurricane is finally getting over his whole throw a fit because mom moved and inch routine. I am NOT exaggerating that in the least. It was terrible for a while. I literally felt like a prisoner. Now it's more of the following and throwing a fit because he wants up or this or that. Then Thunder gets involved in it. Then Lightening has to come in and give ask me 20 questions as to why I am doing what I'm doing. AAAAGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!

:giggle

Barefoot Bookworm
03-03-2010, 09:33 AM
:lol Story of my life! Too funny.

veggiegirl
03-03-2010, 10:02 AM
:yes Sometimes I will hide with the baby. I think she actually appreciates the break from her siblings.

Peridot
03-03-2010, 10:05 AM
:yes Sometimes I will hide with the baby. I think she actually appreciates the break from her siblings.

:yes

:rockon

SansSouci
03-03-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm so glad to read this thread. I thought I was the only one!! The kids are content, unless I'm within eyesight. :no

April G
03-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Why do you think I have an office. :shifty

Peridot
03-03-2010, 11:30 AM
It wouldn't matter if i had an office. I can't shut a door w/o Minimus demanding to know where I am. It doesn't matter whether I'm actually behind the door or not, he just doesn't want them shut. :doh

jame06
03-03-2010, 02:28 PM
This so happens at my house too. :D

Although since I went back to work last year I have noticed that the kids do play more by themselves or with eachother (with much less fighting) if I am busy cooking dinner or whatever.

Chaos Coordinator
03-03-2010, 02:33 PM
It wouldn't matter if i had an office. I can't shut a door w/o Minimus demanding to know where I am. It doesn't matter whether I'm actually behind the door or not, he just doesn't want them shut. :doh

my 1 year old HATES barriers. like, he had no interest in going into the bathroom until i shut the door to it, then he threw himself on the floor screaming. doesn't matter if i was in the bathroom or not. he just hates knowing that he CAN'T go in. the baby gate to the kitchen has the same effect on him.

mommy2ella
03-05-2010, 12:23 AM
ITU. For what it's worth, I DO literally hide! :lol If she really, really, really wants me to play with her and I just feel like I need to be alone, we will play hide and go seek and I will let her be "it" over and over (someday she will catch on to this) and then I go take a book or something and hide. Really, really well. :giggle I've gotten quite a bit of reading time out of this. ;)

Marrae
03-05-2010, 04:32 AM
I hide from my kids

I still hide from my kids sometimes. ;) Or snore. DD especially likes to have deep discussions at midnight. :o

NewLeaf
03-05-2010, 08:45 AM
ITU. For what it's worth, I DO literally hide! :lol If she really, really, really wants me to play with her and I just feel like I need to be alone, we will play hide and go seek and I will let her be "it" over and over (someday she will catch on to this) and then I go take a book or something and hide. Really, really well. :giggle I've gotten quite a bit of reading time out of this. ;)
Evil genius! :jawdrop:rockon

craftyblah
03-06-2010, 03:49 AM
ha! this is funny. Sadly my home is too small & open to actually hide.

AngelaVA
03-06-2010, 05:29 AM
Have you all been spying on me? This is why I come downstairs and log on to GCM, they forget all about me ;)

momyshaver
03-06-2010, 08:12 AM
I FEEL this thread in my BONES! :clap Lately, when I appear, my 4 older kids, (ages 10,9, 7,4) will say (LOUDLY) HI MOM! ...then the 2 yr old will jolt around and say..."MOM...I want you mom, I want you mom, I want you mom..." I try to be super stealthy... but these kids have radar. :shrug3 I have tried to explain to them that I appreciate their joyful responses but that it doesn't help mommy get anything done when their baby sis gets like that every time she smells mommy. Sometimes I will tip toe in and have my finger up to my lips but inevitably...someone is like MOM! It is hard to hide with so many keen eyes. :shifty

NewLeaf
03-06-2010, 08:25 AM
ha! this is funny. Sadly my home is too small & open to actually hide.
You aren't trying hard enough. :no

:giggle

ChristinaL
03-09-2010, 09:43 AM
this thread made me laugh! so true!

Emerald Orchid
03-09-2010, 09:48 AM

ThreeKids
03-09-2010, 10:15 AM
I can't hide from my kids. They will find me an I will just be frustrated to have kidded myself.

I do hide stuff from my kids. I'll think something like "I really don't want ds knowing I'm putting the rice on the counter. I'll just have to guard it from him wanting to spill it."

chasingbutterflies
03-09-2010, 10:34 AM
oh I hide all the time. like right now. :shifty

Living My Dream
03-10-2010, 04:11 AM
i tr not to but sometimes yo just gotta

NewLeaf
11-07-2011, 03:22 PM
Had to pop in to say I have more children now and the need to hide only gets stronger the more children there are to avoid. :shifty

I'm in the bathroom right now. And there isn't an air vent in here so it gets hot after awhile but I'm sweating it out. That's how bad I need to not be touched right now. :shifty

MercyInDisguise
11-07-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm in the bathroom right now. And there isn't an air vent in here so it gets hot after awhile but I'm sweating it out. That's how bad I need to not be touched right now. :shifty

I know the feeling, and I only have one child! There's nothing like seeing little fingers under the door either! :giggle

Maggie
11-08-2011, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I don't know why they expect us to entertain them. I tell dd she's responsible for her own entertainment, and while she agrees with me in theory, it's hard for her in practice.
Yes, I also tell my kids it's not my job to entertain them. :giggle

And NewLeaf, ITU the feeling of not liking being pestered, hung off of, etc., and I also try to make myself low profile (or go out on errands alone) because of this. :shifty

hey mommy
11-08-2011, 09:04 AM
I hide all the time too. it's funny how I can sit at the computer and he wont' bother too much, but the second I get up to clean, he's all over me screaming about needing something.

I have also moved stealthily from room to room so I don't disturb him. I have also been known to crawl into the next room to avoid him.

And I never, ever hide in my bedroom because he's driving me nuts.. Nope.. Never.. :shify

ThreeKids
11-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Mine do the opposite. I'll ask them if they want a snack while I'm already up. Then, I sit down and they suddenly want a snack. Not always, but those incidents stand out.

Leslie_JJKs_mom
11-08-2011, 09:16 AM
Oh my lands I thought I was the only one! Hi I am Leslie and I too hide from my daughter.:giggle

hey mommy
11-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Mine do the opposite. I'll ask them if they want a snack while I'm already up. Then, I sit down and they suddenly want a snack. Not always, but those incidents stand out.

Oh food is a different story.. As soon as I walk out of the kitchen they both want something. Cias actually stood in the middle of the kitchen while I was in the computer room and asked me to get him a glass of water. :hunh No, get it yourself!

lucie
11-08-2011, 03:32 PM
:lol This is awesome! Right now I'm standing in the kitchen eating a sandwich, because as soon as I move or attempt to sit down... Well we know what happens...

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:30 PM ----------

Nevermind, I don't think I have this stealth thing down yet :lol

kimberly569
11-08-2011, 06:14 PM
I am too a hider :yes It drives me crazy to be followed and have my clothes pulled on.

relizabeth
11-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Oh wow. I love this thread. Never had a name for it before but I've done it. A lot. :shifty :giggle

hey mommy
11-10-2011, 06:52 PM
I was reminded of this thread while hiding in my room making phone calls while the kids were playing on the computer. I needed to get the school calendar from the computer room, so I crawled in there real fast to make sure S didn't see me. :shifty :giggle