PDA

View Full Version : my kids don't like Little People

TuneMyHeart
02-26-2010, 07:44 AM
just wondered if anybody else's kids were this way. :lol I think I'm about to sell a bunch of them because no one ever plays with them.

klpmommy
02-26-2010, 07:46 AM
P&E never played with the people, they liked the buildings & vehicles (for their dinosaurs!). But S loves the people. Not sure about R yet.

zak
02-26-2010, 07:49 AM
We don't have many (just a barn and tractor set), but my kids don't seem to care for them either. They'd rather play with Cars, Tinker Toys or Lincoln Logs. :)

scrappyknits
02-26-2010, 08:01 AM
my kids love them... but we don't have them out all the time - they're out for about a month, then we put them away for a month, when we bring them out again it's like a "new" toy... :shrug3 but each child is different and will be drawn to different toys -- I'm thinking that's why there are so many different toys available! :)

TuneMyHeart
02-26-2010, 08:07 AM
I just think it's funny that neither of them like them very much. They love more open-ended toys better - the play kitchen, blocks, baby dolls, etc.

Singingmom
02-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Mine never did either :shrug3 They love Playmobil though. :)

TuneMyHeart
02-26-2010, 09:04 AM
oh, and their favorite things to play with? ME! and laundry baskets, pillows, blankets, closets to hide in, and clean laundry to jump in. :giggle

Forsynthianicki
02-26-2010, 10:41 AM
oh, and their favorite things to play with? ME! and laundry baskets, pillows, blankets, closets to hide in, and clean laundry to jump in. :giggle

I remember playing in the clean laundry- soft and warm right from the dryer...and that clean smell! We had what seemed to me a huge wicker basket and we used to bury each other in the clean clothes. Thanks for the happy memory. I think I'll go do some laundry just to smell that smell!

WanderingJuniper
02-26-2010, 10:45 AM
None of mine were Little People fans either. We didn't have too many. The only one's they really liked were the animals. The could have cared less about the people ones.

Niphredil
02-26-2010, 10:56 AM
I think N could play with her little people for like, 15 whole minutes - and that's a looooong time. ;) She just has the house and she plays through the day - make breakfast, put the baby to sleep, do laundry, etc.

April G
02-26-2010, 10:58 AM
I absolutely LOVED little people when i was a kid... and thought my son would too. :no He's really into play mobil, and I prefer them myself now. They are COOL!!!!

LadybugSam
02-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Caleb plays with his but i think that I love them more than he does :giggle

TuneMyHeart
02-26-2010, 11:10 AM
Caleb plays with his but i think that I love them more than he does :giggle

I love them too. I want to buy all of them. :giggle

Katigre
02-26-2010, 11:12 AM
I looooooooved my little people growing up. And I hate the new ones :(. They're just not as fun - they're so big and chunky that they crowd the buildings, the faces are weird, and they don't have the fun accessories. DD was given the house for her birthday and I threw out everything but the three people and the table b/c the chairs and high chair were so big and weird looking. She likes the house but I don't plan to get anymore.

I also hate that they're all electronic noise making with buttons - that's not the purpose of LP, the purpose is making pretend stories with them (that's what we loved with ours growing up).

Lady Grey
02-26-2010, 11:20 AM
We don't have any, but I'm sure my kids would like them if we did. Anything that is a little figure (people or animals) is popular in our house.

jenn3514
02-26-2010, 12:21 PM
We have a bunch. They play with the animals, cars and trucks, and the barn. Beyond that- they sit there. Right now the youngest two are in sleeping bags laying on the floor (we just put in laminate) using their arms to race. Before that they were using leftover pieces of flooring and pillows to make ramps.:shrug3

scrappyknits
02-26-2010, 12:54 PM
I also hate that they're all electronic noise making with buttons - that's not the purpose of LP, the purpose is making pretend stories with them (that's what we loved with ours growing up).

just remove the batteries... if they don't realize the toy makes noise then they never miss it! ;)

AngelaVA
02-26-2010, 01:09 PM
My kids do love little people but there are other things like baby dolls that I listen to everyone talk about who much their girls love and wonder what we are missing because my girls have no interest. I think it's just we all have our likes and dislikes.

Niphredil
02-26-2010, 01:18 PM

N loves the noises. She uses the sounds to accent her play. She'll make the phone ring and have her mommy run to answer it, narrating to her "baby" the whole way. I suppose she could make those sounds herself, but I don't see the harm in her using them either.

zak
02-26-2010, 01:23 PM
Ours have no batteries too. I can't handle noise-toys. :lol

LadybugSam
03-01-2010, 09:30 AM
ours did have noise (Caleb thought the flushing sounds were hilarious :laughtears) but when they ran out, we never replaced them. That reminds me, i should probably take them out...

doubleblessings
03-01-2010, 09:46 AM
mine like them - especially DD. She has a house that I got at a garage sale and a camper that a little car pulls that MIL got her. I got rid of the Little People Fun Park(another gift from MIL) because it took up too much space and they weren't playing with it much anymore.

MIL still has an old set that is sort of a city block that they enjoy playing with at her house.

MuseMama
03-01-2010, 10:06 AM
My daughters loved them, but my sons just love the little people cars.

KatieMae
03-01-2010, 10:09 AM
:poke So, uh, are you selling any sets that I don't have? :popcorn My kids love 'em ;)

Singingmom
03-01-2010, 10:32 AM
Every time I see this thread title come up I have to remind myself that your kids are not prejudiced against ...um, midgets. :shifty

LadybugSam
03-01-2010, 10:35 AM
*snort*

KatieMae
03-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Every time I see this thread title come up I have to remind myself that your kids are not prejudiced against ...um, midgets. :shifty

And that is why capitalization is important :lol

Singingmom
03-01-2010, 01:18 PM
And that is why capitalization is important :lol

Ah, good point! That will help. :giggle

TuneMyHeart
03-01-2010, 01:46 PM
I'm pretty sure my kids aren't prejudiced against midgets. :haha

Not sure if I'm selling anything yet, Katie. I need to do a big baby stuff and toy purge, so LMK if there's anything in particular you're looking for.

oh, and this made me :lol - we have lots of toys that have been passed down to us from other family members, and if they're battery-operated, I tend to not put batteries in them so they never realize they're supposed to make noise. :bag well E has figured out from toys at church and other people's houses that a lot of our toys are supposed to make noise, and she got onto me yesterday about holding out on her. :giggle

Heather Micaela
03-01-2010, 02:10 PM
I looooooooved my little people growing up. And I hate the new ones :(. They're just not as fun - they're so big and chunky that they crowd the buildings, the faces are weird, and they don't have the fun accessories. DD was given the house for her birthday and I threw out everything but the three people and the table b/c the chairs and high chair were so big and weird looking. She likes the house but I don't plan to get anymore.

just remove the batteries... if they don't realize the toy makes noise then they never miss it! ;)
That is what I was going to say :yes

RefrigeratorArt
03-04-2010, 08:03 PM
My Little Ducky is only 8 months old, but he LOVES some Little People I have.... when he's teething! He rubs them all over his gums. :) My mom has some of the classic Little People sets... they bring back such fun memories.

curlymopmom
03-04-2010, 08:07 PM
My kids don't really like the NEW little people. But my mil has the classics and they LOVE them! :giggle

LadybugSam
03-05-2010, 09:25 AM
hey that reminded me i saw some retro little people while browzing online at target. They're bigger than the ones we used to play with (because they used to be choking hazzards, how did we survive?) but they're just the cutest little things.

http://www.target.com/s/190-9347488-1809736?_encoding=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&keywords=Little%20People&searchSize=30&ref=sr_ln_2&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=1038620&searchPage=1

JessicaTX
03-05-2010, 09:36 AM
I have really old ones that my kids use like finger puppets. the old ones get much more play than the new ones.

TuneMyHeart
03-05-2010, 11:29 AM
hey that reminded me i saw some retro little people while browzing online at target. They're bigger than the ones we used to play with (because they used to be choking hazzards, how did we survive?) but they're just the cutest little things.

http://www.target.com/s/190-9347488-1809736?_encoding=UTF8&search-alias=tgt-index&keywords=Little%20People&searchSize=30&ref=sr_ln_2&searchView=grid5&searchNodeID=1038620&searchPage=1

we got AK the retro barnyard set for Christmas. Nobody touches it. :shrug

MuseMama
03-07-2010, 12:35 PM
I never thought of the classic little people being choking hazards, but that makes sense. I used to have so much fun with mine.

Maggie
03-07-2010, 12:38 PM
My kids never really play with Little People, either, and I've also thought of getting rid of ours. :yes Katie uses the houses with other toys, but not the people.