PDA

View Full Version : Big Kid Activities vs Baby

Thia
02-24-2010, 06:57 AM
I am at the end of my rope. I have two big kids, 5 and 3.5 and one little 18months. When are my big kids supposed to do things like legos, puzzles, and so forth? The baby naps once per day for about an hour and I like to do school during that time. And it's never the same time of day two days in a row. My daughter loves doing puzzles and I feel horrible for always having to say no. I hate the thought of having to exile her to her room just b/c she wants to do something the baby will mess up/eat etc. Besides the fact that there is no table or flat surface in her room to do those things. I am so frustrated for her. And I cannot be a police woman. Too many other things needing my attention. Help!

Katigre
02-24-2010, 07:05 AM
Do you have a table (like the dining room table) that they could do those things at?

TuneMyHeart
02-24-2010, 07:10 AM
E does puzzles, legos, things with small pieces (like Polly Pockets) at the kitchen table or in her room.

Raspberries
02-24-2010, 07:21 AM
I've had to tell my older daughter that if she doesn't want to be interrupted while playing, she needs to find a safe spot to play. Otherwise she is running the risk of having things knocked over, messed up, etc. Then I make suggestions for safer places and offer to help her set up there. That might mean a bedroom, table, etc. I don't think of it as banishing. I think of it as her getting to play with what she wants, without interference from little hands. Just like if I wanted to read a book and the living room was noisy. I might excuse myself from the living room and move to the bedroom.

Proverbs31
02-24-2010, 07:27 AM
We have a room (intended as a small bedroom, but we don't use it for that) with a baby gate at the door. This is our Big Kid Room, and all choking hazard or dangerous-to-littles toys live in there. (So do things like paint, which, while non-toxic, I do NOT want a toddler just getting into. :shifty ) If dd wants to play with those toys, she needs to do it in there.

Some of the reasons this works well are because it's a very concrete boundary (those toys stay in there, and with the gate, the physical boundary is well-defined), and because it's a baby gate (not a shut door), it doesn't feel as isolated.

If you can't do it with a room, you could try a baby yard (with the big kid inside it).

Also, it's worth getting a kid-size table or a flat surface of some sort; it's handy for so many things. Even something like one of those thick plastic mats meant for under office chairs can work, if you can't do a table. :hug

Aerynne
02-24-2010, 08:17 AM
When my little brother was born we got a set of bunk beds. The bottom bunk was my bed and the top bunk was where I played with my little toys. I don't know if your 18m old can climb well, though.

MarynMunchkins
02-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Use a playpen for the bigger kids. :)

LadyofReason
02-28-2010, 09:53 AM
My kids (10,8 and 4) can either go to their rooms or use the dining room table.
I wouldn't feel bad sending her to her room for that kind of thing. Sometimes it's nice to play in the quiet. :)

klpmommy
02-28-2010, 10:21 AM
P&E play up in their room most of the time for that exact reason. Or I play with them when daddy is home to corral the littles. Or I have worn R while they do something with small pieces, but S won't put up with that. ;)

mommy2abigail
03-01-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm thinking of getting something like this http://blankcdmedia.com/bigplayyard.htm for a big kid space.