PDA

View Full Version : S/O of basic toys - baby dolls

filmgirl2911
02-24-2010, 04:00 AM
I'd like to get my daughter a doll, but I'm not sure where to look / what to get? Was wondering what kinds of dolls your little girls really like to play with and where you got them. Anyone have a ragdoll style doll?

When I wander down the doll aisle in many stores, the dolls seem a bit scary looking :shifty

Vicki_T
02-24-2010, 05:39 AM
DD1 :heart her baby dolls. One of them is a Baby Annabel - the basic one with the soft body, not the one that cries - and the other is a supermarket copy of it. She also has a ragdoll-type doll, but she doesn't play with it as much - I think because it's not a 'baby' doll.

Llee
02-24-2010, 05:43 AM
My mom got us this one:http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Little-Deluxe-Playset/dp/B002NGBCX8 for Christmas. I totally :scratch :snooty :no when I opened up the box. Not what was I wanting for Dressy Bessy. But my word! She looooves her baby doll. She takes it with her in the car, the shopping cart, etc. She uses the stroller to chase the dog around the house. And the bassinet she hasn't yet figured out. She uses it as storage. :giggle

mama-hobbit
02-24-2010, 05:50 AM
My girls each had several baby dolls... but their favorites were the waldorf style dolls I made them. :shrug3

Two Little Birds
02-24-2010, 10:36 AM
I really like the Furnis dolls. DS has one that he seems to like (it's no digger truck, but...).

2sunshines
02-24-2010, 10:41 AM
*My* favourite dolls for my girls are rarely *their* favourite dolls.

The more realistic looking dolls tend to be the ones my dd's prefer.

Lady Grey
02-24-2010, 10:44 AM
DD's very favorite is a Cabbage Patch doll that my dad and stepmom gave her the Christmas she was 1. She also has a Bitty Baby that one of DH's former students randomly gave her - very beautiful but spendy. Her other dolls are random cheapies that were gifts.

The doll stroller is a must in our house. We actually replaced DD's first one (the cheapie umbrella style) at Christmas because she had worn it out completely.

mnmcurry
02-24-2010, 10:47 AM
My girls have really liked the Little Mommy Fisher Price ones like in the link above. We had a set of twins and a couple of singles :) They seem to be just the right size.

Niphredil
02-24-2010, 11:13 AM
N has a waldorf style doll and regular store bought dolls. She much prefers the more realistic looking store bought dolls. :shrug3 She rarely even touches her waldorf doll, sadly.

I just buy whatever doll that doesn't pee or crawl or cry or anything and that is the least creepy looking. :shifty Soft bodied dolls seem more snugglable, but the hard bodied are much easier to wash after they get fed yogurt.

And make sure you have plenty of dolly diapers and blankets or you'll never see your dish towels again. :lol

Apple-Saucy
02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
We found a raggedy ann doll at a thrift store. Otherwise she has a 13-14in doll from Target that she likes.

Auroras mom
02-24-2010, 11:25 AM
I bought a pretty Corolle doll for her. My mom got her a hideous cabbage patch baby and a beautiful, realistic Inuit doll. I got her a few waldrof dolls and some tiny fairies (like 2 inches tall). She plays mroe with the tiny fairies and the 7 inch waldorf fairy than anything. The cabbage patch is pretty popular. The others, not so much. The expensive bigger waldorf angel (that she ASKED for), sits unplayed with atop her dresser. I want to steal it from her. :P

mommy2abigail
03-01-2010, 03:37 PM
Well. I wanted only naturally made, Waldorf style dolls for dd. I got her 3 and they sat unused for a long time. Then I got her this realistic baby doll http://www.dollfactorydirect.com/productDetails.asp?Category=AnatomicallyCorrect&SubCategory=NewbornDolls&CatName=Anatomically%20Cor&Id=297&SubOrder=2 and she has played with her EVERY SINGLE DAY. So, take it for what it's worth, but for my dd, the more realistic, the better.

jame06
03-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Dd has several dolls that she plays with. She has one CPK baby, one big soft bodied baby from wal-mart that is probably her favorite - I think because it is more like a real baby with looks and size. She also has a couple of little mommy dolls that she likes. Similar to this one http://www.fisher-price.com/fp.aspx?st=5827&e=product&pid=44520&pcat=LM_SweetAsMe

Katigre
03-03-2010, 02:51 PM
DS and DD both really like this Corolle doll, we got it last month with gift cards. It's face is cute instead of creepy and its eyes open and close. I like that it smells like vanilla instead of the baby powder scent a lot have. I also liked that they have lots of different skin/eye colors because I didn't want to get DD a fair skin/blue eyed doll because she has darker skin and dark eyes.

Corolle Calin Darling (http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&WRN=-683422133&SKU=16699993&RN=7257&)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v452/Champagnepunch/doll.jpg

filmgirl2911
03-03-2010, 02:55 PM
I really like that one, Katigre :yes Thank you for the picture and the link :D

Aerynne
03-04-2010, 01:11 AM
My kids prefer the plastic-faced dolls, too. I just got them each a Corolle doll http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014M16BU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000F5FK1O&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0PBNC5T1XHVVR7GH0TX8

and got my son the boy version of that. But I haven't given them to them yet- they're for when the baby is born. I think they will love them, though.

I agree that the dolls I see in stores are generally rather scary-looking.

Heather Micaela
03-04-2010, 01:32 AM
*My* favourite dolls for my girls are rarely *their* favourite dolls.

The more realistic looking dolls tend to be the ones my dd's prefer.
My youngest loves her Little Mommy doll so much I bought 2 for when they are lost :giggle and have already replaced one again! This is the one that does NOT talk and is just simple and cuddly :heart

All have some GCM made waldorif-ish ones as well, but the real ones are the favorites.

The older girls have a American Girl Bitty Baby and Bitty Twin.

So we do the plastic faces but no added features like wetting or talking.

---------- Post added at 12:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:28 AM ----------

DS and DD both really like this Corolle doll, we got it last month with gift cards. It's face is cute instead of creepy and its eyes open and close. I like that it smells like vanilla instead of the baby powder scent a lot have. I also liked that they have lots of different skin/eye colors because I didn't want to get DD a fair skin/blue eyed doll because she has darker skin and dark eyes.

Corolle Calin Darling (http://www.buybuybaby.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&WRN=-683422133&SKU=16699993&RN=7257&)

Funny story that reminded me of:
I bought ds a doll when he was little and we assumed with a bit of sun he'd look somewhat between dh and I in tone. So I got him a doll that was called "Asian". He stayed as fair as fallen snow :giggle.

So I figure the next kids would be dark, because no way was I buying into the mass produced lilly fair dolls. They too are fair.

My youngest is the darkest, but not dark and she recieved that Little Mommy doll on her first birthday and is attached. So the ONLY child I could match with a darker baby and she loves her peachy pink baby with blue eyes :lol

ETA: I just remembered that my 3 year old has the Bitty with medium brown skin and she is the fairest one of all. (Goodness I jsut quoted Snow White :giggle)