PDA

View Full Version : Do your kids climb into bed with you in the morning? Do you like it?

Aerynne
02-20-2010, 07:55 AM
I never used to mind but it drives me nuts now. Maybe it's because moving around in bed is such a hassle at this size anyway, maybe it's because I'm all touched out, maybe it's having to whisper conversations if dh is still asleep, I don't know. Of course they both want to be right next to me and that makes it hard for me to move at all (which is sometimes necessaryOThey both sleep through the night in their own beds usually but they like to start their day with snuggles in our bed and I really don't like it and don't know what to do. I guess I could just get up, but I like to start my day slowly.

I guess I'm just wondering how to change this and if it would be damaging to them or anything emotionally.

WanderingJuniper
02-20-2010, 08:59 AM
They used to on the weekends and when they were really little. Not so much anymore. It just got to a point where all 5 of us didn't comfortably fit in our king sized bed and someone would get hurt and it was usually Bart or I.

joystrength
02-20-2010, 02:01 PM
our day starts out with cuddles. As I see it, (please note: I am NOT pregnant!!), this time of willingness to snuggle is drawing shorter with each day. I soak it up.

That doesn't mean I don't sneak back into the bed for a few minutes of "AAAHHH!!! ALL MINE!!!" time occasionally. HA!!!

Is there a time when you would be more willing to do the group snuggle thing? Afternoon on the couch while reading? Naptime? :shrug3

KLin
02-20-2010, 03:42 PM
The 7 1/2 yr old not so much any longer, the just 5 yr old is my snuggler. I love to wake up to hugs and kisses...so this works for me. BTW my DH has been gone on business alot, and when he is home he is up early (5am:hunh)

Aerynne
02-20-2010, 04:19 PM
I'm fine with couch snuggles, but not necessarily ready to get out of bed and go snuggle on the couch first thing in the morning. Maybe I should just do it, though- better than snuggling in bed.

LadyofReason
02-20-2010, 06:57 PM
My 4 year old comes into bed almost every morning. She snuggles in for some nursie and then sleeps for another two hours usually. I welcome that. ;) LOL
The 10 year old never does and the 8 year old rarely does.

3PeasInAPod
02-20-2010, 07:07 PM
I don't like it..but my 4yr old doesn't come in to give snuggles..he comes in to jab me with his elbow or knees & says "get up mama" repeatedly..it's kind of annoying! But I've never been a morning person, I'm pretty much a grump in the morning.

scrappyknits
02-20-2010, 10:47 PM
not every morning, but about once a week they each climb in (so about 3 times a week in total because I have three kids). I have to admit, I LOVE having a little snuggle time and individual time with them - a few whispering giggles, too. I really enjoy it. :shrug3

Heather Micaela
02-20-2010, 10:58 PM
They do. For me I lie there, half awake, snuggled by all my dc and think this is one of the things about as close to heaven you can get while still on earth :heart.

Not that others have to feel that way, I am an extovert and love having my dearest people with me. BUT I do have a limit and eventually need personal space. Just not in the morning.

Now, being pregnant I am often barking "Get OFF I have to go pee":giggle

Amber
02-21-2010, 12:01 AM
Mine come in for snuggles in the morning...well, usually the 3.5yo is already there, and the 5.5yo joins us.

I don't really like it, but I do allow it because ds1 needs that time of connection and it beats having him sleep next to me all night :shifty

I figure that there will come a time when I miss having my kids snuggle in bed with me.

Aerynne
02-21-2010, 07:29 AM
I guess I'm finding out I'm just not a snuggly person, at least not to the extent that my kids want snuggles. I'm fine with snuggly babies and toddlers, but after that, it's just not something I like. I do love some snuggles, but then I want my space. I don't want to do my kids any emotional damage, though. My mom was always happy to give us all the snuggles we wanted, and I wish I could be like that, too, but it drives me crazy. I'm also sensory avoidant, which could be pertinent to this issue. I'm driving myself crazy with guilt if I don't let them be on me as much as they want to, but it drives me crazy with sensory overload if I let them.

Waterlogged
02-21-2010, 10:00 AM
I struggle with this too (but I'm not pregnant and I only have one kid, so take it for what it's worth) since I'm not really a touchy-feely person. DH is super-touchy, always wanting to snuggle, and I've found that we are both happier if I set up some boundaries ahead of time, rather than letting my discomfort/anger/frustration build until I snap. Perhaps your dc are old enough to understand some boundaries re: snuggling in the morning....
- snuggles happen on the couch
- snuggles happen in their beds
- snuggles happen on the weekends, but not weekdays, etc.
- snuggles happen after the clock says 7am (or whatever you choose)
....whatever you're comfortable with. What does DH think about having them come in for snuggles?

It might be easier on them emotionally to start this now rather than after the baby comes (so they don't feel displaced, etc). Not saying you need to do anything you don't want to do, but it does sound like you're at your limit.

Aerynne
02-21-2010, 10:04 AM
dh is even less cool with it than I am, and doesn't feel guilty about it a bit. I don't think his parents were very snuggly, though.

I think I do need to set some limits- now just to decide what they will be. The new baby is going to turn everything upside down anyway. . .

Waterlogged
02-21-2010, 10:13 AM
The new baby is going to turn everything upside down anyway. . .

So you have a couple of weeks (give or take) to make some changes if you don't want the changes to be attached to the arrival of the new baby. But I do think it could cause some problems if you were to institute said boundaries after the baby arrives, so you might want to be careful about that.

LorenP
03-01-2010, 06:50 PM
I love it because then I know he isn't rampaging through the kitchen unsupervised!

milkmommy
03-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Sorta and it drives me batty. I didn't mind the days where shes came and laid in the bed where she coem to cuddle to nurse to watch cartoons or pull open my eyelids and declare it a PERFECT day and request breakfast with a HUGE smile... But these days its more liek comming in and whinning.. Daddy said I need to put on my shpes before he'll feed me! I can't find my notebook! I don't wanta go to school! My throat hurts! I can't find the remote! Whine whine whine...

Deanna

vaness
03-02-2010, 11:49 AM
It depends on the day I guess. I love it most times when they want to come and snuggle with me, but there are mornings where I am a little more crabby and need to get to my :cup a little faster.