PDA

View Full Version : If you don't specifically limit your dc's screentime

Dandelion
02-19-2010, 05:32 PM
How does that work? Do they just sit in front of the computer all day? Are they couch potatoes? If not, how do they self - regulate themselves?:think I would really like to get away from a specific time allotment for my dc, but I am nervous that they will never get out from in front of the tv.

Allison
02-19-2010, 05:36 PM
I don't know how they do it, they just do. They'd rather be outside, period. Some days they watch more TV/computer/video games than other days. It's a balance. There are just other things they'd rather do and so they naturally limit their time with no painful media withdrawals. lol

ValiantJoy07
02-19-2010, 06:13 PM
:popcorn
right now for dd1 she watches TV when she wakes up in the morning and from nap...SHe needs the transition time (she's a gruump) and TV is the only thing that transitions her with out tears and tantrums.

I'm curious how others do this down the road.

Eesti
02-19-2010, 06:39 PM
My girls would rather go out and do something and so would I so we do. When we are home sometimes they watch a show and sometimes they play in the front room w/their toys....The LO likes to play in the backyard and the older in her room. We have never talked about a limit to tv/computer although the computer is only avail. when I am not on it and up until recently when the LO was asleep but now she likes to sit w/her sister and watch too. LOL.

klpmommy
02-19-2010, 06:55 PM
I sometimes have to kick mine off the couch, but more often than not they get bored with the tv & go on to other things. When the weather is nice going outside is a huge incentive to stop tv. :shrug So they do self regulate, but sometimes it requires my help.

saturnfire16
02-19-2010, 08:02 PM
My dd doesn't self-regulate. Self regulate means imposing external rules on yourself and then enforcing those. She doesn't say "I'm only going to allow myself 1 hour of tv today" and then stick with that. ;)

However, no she doesn't sit in front of the computer or tv all day. :no She makes choices about what she wants to do. Her choices include tv, play, computer, painting, movies, pretend, going outside, playing with her hamster, playing with me or her sister or daddy, going with me on errands, helping me clean the house and cook, visiting friends etc.

Screen time is just one choice among many options. I feel that my job is to provide a wide variety of stimulating (or relaxing), interesting options. Then I respect her choice. If she is watching tv because I'm being a lazy bum, ignoring her and not helping her find other things to do, that's a problem! If she's watching tv because she has chosen it as her current interest out of a variety of options, then it's no different than if she was reading a book that she had chosen as her current interest.

As with all things in her life, I am actively involved. I help her find shows, movies at the library and games on the computer. I help her look for things that interest her. I sit and watch/play with her. If she's watching by herself, I check in periodically to see what's happening and offer other activities if she's looking bored.

Heather Micaela
02-19-2010, 09:31 PM
my kids under 6 wont stay in front of the set for more than 15 min max, often they are playing with toys as well. the older oneswatch a show or maybe two (1/2 hour long already recorded) then go off and play. In the summer it is even more likely the TV wont be watched. Near bedtime they watch a full movie as they get tired and that is plenty.

Now, I did want to say that content is limited and the TV is shared, so that *creates* limits. Almost nothing is live. It is DVR in the living room or kid DVDs in their room. So 2 parents and 4 kids have to take turns. And once the list is watched through, there is little appropriate kid programming left for the day and the parents take over anyway :shrug3

I do also at times just declare. That is enough TV, go play.

AFA the computer. They each get 30 minutes max per day IF that. And that is not due to some philosophy. We have one cumputer and mom/dad hog it :lol