PDA

View Full Version : Fondant Users...I need your HELP

swimming with sharks
02-10-2010, 06:52 PM
:help DD's bday party is on Saturday. ***I think**** we're having individual flower cakes that will have a crumb coating of white frosting and then the kids will decorate the cakes with flowers made of fondant. I bought some precolored fondant and some flower and leaf shape cutters. I was planning to cut the leaves and flowers out tomorrow, let them dry, and then let the kids go to town decorating their cakes with the flowers and leaves. I've read the box and have no idea if it's going to work...will we have to stick the fondant flowers to the buttercream with water? Will they just stick to the buttercream? We're talking 2-5 yr olds :-/ and yeah parents will be there for assistance but I don't want this to be an awful experience. :no Did I mention that DD is highly sensitive and I'm 37 weeks pregnant :giggle Yeah good combo for winging a bday party! :doh Advice, thoughts, experiences? :help I could definitely color up a big batch of buttercream and let them go to town with that? :shrug3:shifty

RealLifeMama
02-10-2010, 07:23 PM
I stick fondant decorations on buttercream all the time. It is really easy and you should have no trouble.
My buttercream crusts, but usually, I can just stick the decorations on fine without any help anyway. Occasionally, I will keep some buttercream in a bag with a small round tip and put a dab on the back of the decoration before I stick it on the cake.
I keep a brush and a small dish of water to stick fondant pieces together. For instance, I will make a daisy and then brush the center with water and stick it in the middle of the daisy.

Be aware that prepackaged fondant dries out really fast and tastes really nasty. For 2-5 YO's, Id keep the leaves flat, also, instead of shaping them after they are cut out so they can stick the leaves on flat just next to their flowers.

Leen
02-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Yep, they should stick fine. :) Maybe make sure the cakes have been sitting out so the frosting is tacky and not too crusted, like if they've been in the fridge.

Looking forward to hearing about it and maybe...seeing pics? :shifty :)

JessicaTX
02-10-2010, 09:04 PM
with two to 5 year olds, you might want to just make the marshmallow/powdered sugar and crisco fondant and have them play with it like playdough. have rolling pins and tiny cookie cutters for them to decorate their cupcakes with, but honestly, they might get more joy out of using it as candy playdough.

CapeTownMommy
02-11-2010, 12:06 AM
You can also make a liquid icing sugar mixture (just the icing sugar and water, use lots of water) to make a sticky paste to stick everything together.

I :heart your idea though!

swimming with sharks
02-11-2010, 07:00 PM
saying it tasted awful was enough for me to rethink....so I made 200 buttercream drop flowers today with 100 leaves. I'll crumb coat the flower cakes and the kids can stick the flowers and leaves to the cake and then eat the whole thing. I'm sure we'll get lots of pictures. :yes Thanks for all the help guys!! :kiss