PDA

View Full Version : Can you take your littles to Dr w/o help?

ValiantJoy07
02-03-2010, 02:19 PM
I took both girls for well checks today. Both mostly healthy :praise BUT they screeeeeeeeamed the entire appointment I was a mound of squalling babies. And you haven't heard crying untill you've heard my babies let loose. :sick

DH is going to have to come next time I can't juggle all that again.

How do you do it when they scream?? Dd1 was so excited about the appointment. It would have been OK if we had just been checked once but a med student asked to do the exam and I wasn't thinking and she was so nice and they both did okay untill the doc came in and they had to do it again...:dohIt was the second exam that did it. RJ did better at the beginnign than she's EVER done (she's always screamed the entire way through from the moment we got in the exam to the end...this time she liked being weighed and measured and helping with AJ improvement:rockon).

swimming with sharks
02-03-2010, 02:26 PM
:hugheart Never let there be two exams given again! :no I also write down any questions I have BEFORE we go in so even through screaming I can get them asked and answered. :heart

Amber
02-03-2010, 02:29 PM
I've always taken both boys by myself, but we have never had to deal with having exams done twice in the same visit...I'm sure that would have pushed mine over the edge too.

I take a big bag of toys and snacks with me to keep the kids occupied since is seemed like we had to wait 5 or 10min for the doctor, and two kids in a little room for any length of time is enough to make me crazy :shifty

illinoismommy
02-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Yes until this one was born, now I am doing all I can to avoid taking more than 2 at a time and leaving the others with dh

Barefoot Bookworm
02-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Yes, but it's miserable and I try not to do it alone. I try to only take one at a time these days because three kids 2 and under are not conducive to a good visit. :lol

Mama Calidad
02-03-2010, 03:23 PM
No, I need DH to act as interpreter. :giggle

Niphredil
02-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I wear one and contain one to the stroller. Lots of snacks, silly games & voices and rescue remedy on standby.

As for the screaming... I'm so not above candy as hush money. :shifty

Heather Micaela
02-03-2010, 03:27 PM
I do better taking all 4 than just two - or elsean older and a younger. The older two help with the younger two. I don't enjoy it in the least, but I prefer it to several appointments

ValiantJoy07
02-03-2010, 04:57 PM
I wear one and contain one to the stroller. Lots of snacks, silly games & voices and rescue remedy on standby.

As for the screaming... I'm so not above candy as hush money. :shifty
:giggle I used Chick-ful-a french fries as hush bribes-but I didn't think to go there untill they were done and she was still screaming :doh

---------- Post added at 06:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Yes, but it's miserable and I try not to do it alone. I try to only take one at a time these days because three kids 2 and under are not conducive to a good visit. :lol
:hug I can't even imagine 3 2and under. I'm going a little :crazy with just 2, 2 and under. :O

cro
02-07-2010, 10:03 PM
The double exam would've put me over the edge too. Especially when it was unexpected and dd was thinking she was all done. Poor kiddo. :(

With my crew, I have to do a lot of mental prep - for them. On the way there, I tell them exactly what's going to happen, where we'll be, what they can and can't do, what we'll do when they're done, etc. We also go over the "what if?" scenarios - what happens if we have to wait a long time? what happens if E cries? what happens if X toy isn't there? Most of that is for M, but I know J benefits from it too.

And lollipop/Chick-fil-a bribes. And a secret stash of toys. And praising every good moment we get.

JamesMama
02-07-2010, 10:18 PM
Yes, I have no choice. The clinic doesn't open early enough for me to get in before DH goes to work, no babysitters, and DH doesn't make unnecessary trips to dr offices due to germs.

Aerynne
02-07-2010, 10:38 PM
I rarely take my kids to the doctor :bag but I can do it without help with only two kids. Ask me in a few months how it works with three. The double exam thing would have gotten me, too.

CapeTownMommy
02-08-2010, 12:54 AM
I can do it with the two of them - but some bribery will usually be involved to keep the 3yo happy. :bag Also I avoid taking them to the dr unless it's REALLY important.

MomtoJGJ
02-08-2010, 05:59 AM
My kids actually like going to the doctor, so its the one place I feel sane taking all 4 to. :) Their doctor anyway... even taking just one to my doctor is taxing to me. I figure their doctor expects some screaming ;) and we do all we can to entertain during the time we are waiting in the exam room. We tried colors and all that, but the best entertainment is simon says/mother may I.

Elora
02-08-2010, 10:01 AM
to our family doctor, yes, dh or I always take them both by ourselves. it's simple tho - parking lot right outside the door, not too much info to update at the reception area, and once they're contained in the room i'm fine

dd sees a neurologist and developmental therapist at a children's hospital that involves parking in a garage, a long walk, multiple elevators, tons of paperwork, and no less than 2 hr evaluation and sometimes additional testing during which i have to be able to focus. i took 2 yr old ds by myself twice...it was a NIGHTMARE both times... so now i leave him with dh at home.

ThreeKids
02-08-2010, 10:10 AM
I try to have DH there even if it's just one. It's a little easier to work out because of his unconventional work schedule, though.

MomtoJGJ
02-08-2010, 10:16 AM
I thought I would add a little to my answer. I definitely try to NOT take all of them... We TRY to get someone here to keep the others while we are taking the ones to the appointment, and typically both DH and myself go together anyway.

We are also trying to move their appointments around so that we are doing well visits at the same time for at least 3 of them. DD3 is about 6 months difference in the time for her appointment than the time for the other girls so she'll probably be separate for a while anyway. That way we have fewer appointments to go to anyway. :)

Eowyn
02-08-2010, 12:16 PM
I try not to take all of them, but I usually do. We survive, although most times I bring bribery. :shifty