PDA

View Full Version : how do you help a sensitive child through a stressful season?

Leen
01-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Things are tough for our family right now, and I'm totally stressed out. There's just a general hum of anxiety that runs through my days. :(

DD is really spirited/perceptive/sensitive and she is *totally* picking up on it, and acting out as a result. Since my reserves are low, it's taking a lot out of me to respond gently when these things happen. I'm doing it, but it's not without effort.

What things can I do to help her during this time? Obviously, I need to take care of myself, which is something I struggle with during the best of times...but what tools can I teach her to help her cope? She's only two, and not super verbal.

Maybe acknowledging to her that things are hard? Reminding her often that Mama and Papa love her and each other? I just don't know. :scratch

So I'd love any ideas that you have. :)

ubermom
01-27-2010, 07:49 PM
You might make a schedule of the next couple of days so that she is secure it what is happening around her. With a security blanket of a visual schedule (pictures or words) and the reassurance of your love maybe she will be able to feel more in control.

bookfairy
02-01-2010, 03:17 PM
You might make a schedule of the next couple of days so that she is secure it what is happening around her. With a security blanket of a visual schedule (pictures or words) and the reassurance of your love maybe she will be able to feel more in control.

When my eldest (intense and sensitive) was that age, he had a new baby brother and things were chaotic and stressful. I got a dollar store photo album and took a picture of him throughout the day, doing normal, everyday things: getting dressed, eating meals, playing with toys, getting ready for bed, etc. On the right-hand side of the album pages I put a picture, and on the left-hand side, a simple narrative. It really, really, helped him on days that seemed off to know that he was still going to get lunch, etc. He *still* loves that book at age 9.