PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know? Transfering medical records Another Update!

ValiantJoy07
01-25-2010, 04:38 AM
Update:
THANK YOU SO MUCH for the help! I had a friend recommend a local pediatrician who stresses strongly on the homeopathic, organic and nonvaxing side. Apparently this practice is very supportive of non-vaxing and stresses the importance of parents being informed. :jump2 AND when I called them all they said was to get dd1's vaccination record and bring it along. :rockon The woman on the phone said "have they had any complications? no? then bring them in!" We have an appointment for this wednesday to get their 2y and 6mos well checks. YAY!!! Thank you all for the help... This whole thing was so annoying none of the offices I was trying were helping me- I guess we weren't supposed to be involved with that other office! :O
I'm thinking of switching from the pediatrician we've been with for about 6months- back to a family practice. We were a FP for dd1's first 18mos and I liked it but it was a 25-30minute drive and I just couldn't afford the gas to do that with 2 littles (assuming 2 get sick more than 1 :shrug3)...So we switched to the pedi office. Well I also switched at the same time to a FP 5 minutes from the house, I really like the doctor (she was my doc when I was very little), she's alternate/delayed sched vax friendly and I think she'd be a better option for our family.

BUT last time we switched every one around we got hit with like $40 in transfer fee's :jawdrop to transfer our medical records. We can't afford that again- but I REALLY do not want to do dd1's 2 year and dd2's 6mos check up at the pedi's- I do not feel comfortable there and leave every appointment feeling like a horrible mother because I do not want to vax them in the winter... Dd1 needs a booster but I want to wait untill summer to do it- my gut says wait for dd2 and I want to wait. :shrug3

Anyway I'm wondering if there is a way to avoid the transfer fee? Has any one gone nad signed out hte medical records and personally carried them to the new doctors??:think Money is TIGHT right now and will be for a couple of months untill we built up our nest egg a bit.

JenLovie
01-25-2010, 05:09 AM
I think the charges totally depend on the doctor and/or the practice. I have found that some places say they charge if you get the records yourself (though they don't always actually charge) and often time they transfer the records for free to a new doctor directly. I would call and see what their practice is and then make your decision.

ValiantJoy07
01-25-2010, 05:29 AM
I think the charges totally depend on the doctor and/or the practice. I have found that some places say they charge if you get the records yourself (though they don't always actually charge) and often time they transfer the records for free to a new doctor directly. I would call and see what their practice is and then make your decision.

So it IS an option to pick up the records myself? I won't sound like a phsyco asking? :O :giggle

DoulaClara
01-25-2010, 05:37 AM
I've had records sent directly to me before, but I was charged a fee (a printing and shipping and handling fee- it had to be mailed to me from their documents company). The form I filled out said that if another office requested the records, it wouldn't be charged to me, but if anyone other than another office requested it, it would. So, I'm having my surgical records from Gianna's birth place transferred to my current CPs office, and since my current CP is requesting it, it won't cost me anything.

I would check with your FP and see if she would do a form request, and then check with the Ped's office, and see if they charge if another care provider does the request, rather than you.

ValiantJoy07
01-25-2010, 06:22 AM
I've had records sent directly to me before, but I was charged a fee (a printing and shipping and handling fee- it had to be mailed to me from their documents company). The form I filled out said that if another office requested the records, it wouldn't be charged to me, but if anyone other than another office requested it, it would. So, I'm having my surgical records from Gianna's birth place transferred to my current CPs office, and since my current CP is requesting it, it won't cost me anything.

I would check with your FP and see if she would do a form request, and then check with the Ped's office, and see if they charge if another care provider does the request, rather than you.
Thanks! I'm going to make some calls this morning!

Little Forest
01-25-2010, 06:42 AM
As was mentioned, it is very variable and depends on what the practice wants to do. They have to release a copy of records upon request, but nothing to stop them from charging you for it.

If there is no way around paying for it, I would suggest seeing the new dr without the records and seeing if there is anything in particular that she really needs to know from the old records. I assume you have your own vaccination records as it is? That would be the most relevant thing for the new dr to see if your child has no major health issues anyway.

MomtoJGJ
01-25-2010, 06:59 AM
Have you asked the new doctor if she'll request the records from the ped? Typically I've done this or, when we moved, I just took them and there has been no charge... we have moved or changed doctors 4 times.

JenLovie
01-25-2010, 07:01 AM
You can definitely get the records yourself. I'm going to get all of our important ones before we move.
The two places where I have already gotten records both charge but both times they waived the fees without me asking.

deena
01-25-2010, 07:20 AM
Just curious. why summer shots but not winter? Because of colds and flus?

ValiantJoy07
01-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Just curious. why summer shots but not winter? Because of colds and flus?
yup- in the summer we're outside a lot- we get lots of sunshine and lots of fresh air... Any aches and crazies from the vax's can be alleviated a bit by being OUTSIDE...ANy sleeplessness (extra sleeplessness) will be helped (for me) by SUNSHINE. Right now I'm trapped inside pretty much all the time, extra fussies would not help the sanity level at ALL. :shifty

---------- Post added at 09:32 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 AM ----------

Have you asked the new doctor if she'll request the records from the ped? Typically I've done this or, when we moved, I just took them and there has been no charge... we have moved or changed doctors 4 times.
See that's the one thing when we transferred last summer the peds office charged. :think I'm going to have to call them and ask how that would work. CHarging $20 a pop is rediculous.

titosmommy
01-25-2010, 09:01 AM
I am trying to figure this out as well. We just moved so we're transferring info. It's frustrating to me that there's a fee to get med records. My dr will send shot record, growth chart and last well check-up for free. All other info is charged a fee.

ArmsOfLove
01-25-2010, 09:16 AM
there really shouldn't be, depending on your insurance and the office policies, any fee for tranferring records. and you should be entitled to one copy of the records for your own files. So maybe demand that copy and then let your new doc copy them. I think it's wise to have that anyway :shrug3 (influenced at least in part by the letter in my medical records that the military is very sorry but everything in my medical records before the age of 7 was unfortunately destroyed in a fire :doh)

your new doctor should also be able to request the records for no fee.

WingsOfTheMorning
01-25-2010, 06:19 PM
If there is no way around paying for it, I would suggest seeing the new dr without the records and seeing if there is anything in particular that she really needs to know from the old records. I assume you have your own vaccination records as it is? That would be the most relevant thing for the new dr to see if your child has no major health issues anyway.

This. I just switched peds, and the only record they wanted was her vaxes.

I've never been charged for records though.

Firebird Rising
01-25-2010, 06:41 PM
we were asked to pay $5/record for the boys.. :-/ i didn't bother...

Rabbit
01-25-2010, 06:47 PM
I've never had a doctor be charged a fee when requesting a transfer of records from another doctor.

It's only when the records go through my hands or the transfer is at my request that I see a charge.

Pragmatist
01-25-2010, 07:39 PM
I've never heard of an office charging for a doctor that requested the records. If they did, though, I just wouldn't bother to get them. Really, you know your children's health history. I think the only time you would really need the records is if your child had a complex condition, or had been on multiple medications and you weren't sure of what they were. If your kids are basically healthy and you know what vaxes they have or haven't had, there's really no need for records.

ValiantJoy07
01-26-2010, 02:54 PM
:bump

ValiantJoy07
01-30-2010, 01:06 PM
:bump

---------- Post added at 03:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:05 PM ----------

I've never heard of an office charging for a doctor that requested the records. If they did, though, I just wouldn't bother to get them. Really, you know your children's health history. I think the only time you would really need the records is if your child had a complex condition, or had been on multiple medications and you weren't sure of what they were. If your kids are basically healthy and you know what vaxes they have or haven't had, there's really no need for records.
Thank you! Yeah it was strange that the FP wouldnt' let me transfer with out records.:-/ I guess we just weren't supposed to be there!:heart