PDA

View Full Version : NOw I remember why I don't like annual check ups

Heather Micaela
01-22-2010, 08:02 PM
For various reason I go ahead and do check ups on the kids at a traditional doctor, but I just hate being fed all sorts of info I do not agree on.

But the kicker was the growth chart.
My 8 year old ds is in the 3rd percentile for height and wieght, but apparently proportioned well.

My 6 year old dd is in the 5th percentile - for both height and weight too

My 3 year old dd is about the 10th percentile for height and the 50th for weight

My 20 mo old dd is in the 20th percentile for height and the 3rd percentile for weight

So they are happy my oldest are proportioned but still had to ask if they ate enough. Then they say my 3 year old is overweight and needs to eat better or be more active. Then they say my 1 year old is underweight and needs to gain AT LEAST another pound.

Theay. all. eat. the. same. food. They are all active.
My kids that are petite take after me (And actually dh who was a small kid.) My sockier kid has the exact same build as my mom.

What is wrong with a little variance?

hey mommy
01-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Eh, they are never happy, no matter what you do. Crazy doctors.

Sounds like they are doing great. :)

Marzipan
01-22-2010, 08:20 PM
My 6 y/o is 95th for height and 75th for weight-- she's a string bean.
My 3 y/o is 25th for height and 95th for weight-- so a tank...
My 10 month old is 22 lbs (off the charts high for weight).

Our ped says they're all healthy and fine. Sorry your ped is being weird-- clearly there's nothing wrong with a little variation.

Krisun
01-22-2010, 08:25 PM
My doc was concerned the other day cause my son dropped from the 94th percentile to the 91st percentile in weight! HUH??? Gotta love docs sometimes, eh?

Waterlogged
01-22-2010, 08:31 PM
My doc was concerned the other day cause my son dropped from the 94th percentile to the 91st percentile in weight! HUH??? Gotta love docs sometimes, eh?

Wow - that little bit of variance could just be due to having a full or empty bladder and bowels.

sweetpeasmommy
01-22-2010, 08:57 PM
:scratch :rolleyes

Krisun
01-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Exactly!! I mean, he's 7 months old and 21 lbs 12.5 ozs!!! And generally just breastfeeding every 3ish hours all day. He's not getting a lot of solids, but he's not really that interested. Also, he hadn't eaten in about 3.5 hours at the time we were at the doc, so he had an empty tummy!

Waterlogged
01-22-2010, 09:08 PM
He sounds plenty healthy. And once he starts moving he'll slim down some more. Oh wait- that'll make your doctor more concerned. hmmm....:rolleyes4

Krisun
01-22-2010, 09:14 PM
I just kinda smile and nod with the doc! She didn't seem too happy that we had just really started solids with him. I don't see any reason to rush and force solids when he's not super interested, and only eating every few hours.

When she asked how he was sleeping at night, I responsed with "he does pretty good". I didn't feel like dealing with a reaction if I said he was up a couple of times a night to eat. (actually, he normally only wants to suck for comfort the first time or two depending on how many times he's up between 11 and 4, and then eats around 4:00). Getting into a debate about nighttime parenting was NOT on my list of things to do. Its bad enough dealing with people day to day (see my post "vent re AP")

Little Forest
01-23-2010, 07:01 AM
I don't do "check ups" myself. I truly do not believe that is a proper use of growth charts to give this kind of advice that your dr did.

Heather Micaela
01-23-2010, 10:29 PM
I don't do "check ups" myself. I truly do not believe that is a proper use of growth charts to give this kind of advice that your dr did.
I agree. I wouldn't ped. check ups either except my children have to see other doctors and, due to financaes, are already in the "system". So part of it is to keep up appearances. Plus it did help them find that my ds needed glasses last year

Chaos Coordinator
01-26-2010, 03:30 PM
My 6 y/o is 95th for height and 75th for weight-- she's a string bean.
My 3 y/o is 25th for height and 95th for weight-- so a tank...
My 10 month old is 22 lbs (off the charts high for weight).

Our ped says they're all healthy and fine. Sorry your ped is being weird-- clearly there's nothing wrong with a little variation.

my 11 month old is 23 lbs and his pedi says he's in the 75th percentile....maybe they are using different charts?

Waterlogged
01-26-2010, 04:02 PM
There's different charts for boys and girls, BTW...

Chaos Coordinator
01-26-2010, 04:11 PM
OH! and she's talking about a little girl. ok that makes sense. i mean that they were given different percentiles. but not so much that there are different charts....i guess we (as in, we, society) just assume that boys will be big and strapping, and girls will be little and petite?

Waterlogged
01-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Yeah, the growth charts were created using data taken from thousands of babies and kids. Boys are bigger at the beginning, and then girls hit puberty sooner and pull ahead, and then the boys overtake when they hit puberty.

Marzipan
01-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Yeah, she's a girl. And, I guess that's kind of misleading. She's 22 lbs now, but she hasn't been to the dr. in 4 months. 4 months ago, she was 20 lbs, and not on the charts for weight.

DancingWithElves
01-26-2010, 11:02 PM
:doh :hug