PDA

View Full Version : musical instrument for kid question - help!

mamaKristin
01-20-2010, 03:44 PM
My son's teacher is starting up a guitar club at school. My son would love to join. :)

I am currently taking lessons myself, and my teacher recommends going through a music store for a guitar. I was looking at Sears, and they have guitars there, for less....but I don't know the quality. Given that I would pretty much have to order whatever we get online, I'm hesitant. I don't want to buy a junk guitar. I also don't want to spend a fortune on a guitar for an almost 8 year old. Granted, a good guitar would be a decent investment. :think

Any thoughts?

cindergretta
01-20-2010, 03:52 PM
At 8, wouldn't he need a student guitar? And a small one, at that? I would look at on-line music stores for student guitars for children.

mamaKristin
01-20-2010, 03:55 PM
Yes, a student one. :)

I can order one from Sears for $60, and $100 from the music store. I'm just wondering if the $40 difference would make it worth it. :think

Aerynne
01-20-2010, 04:26 PM
I would talk to the teacher who is starting the guitar club. He/she could give you some good advice. I'm sure music teachers have a lot of experience with parents who want to buy their kid a decent instrument but don't want to spend a lot. You could also look into renting for the first little while to see if it's something he wants to keep up before you buy one.

katiekind
01-20-2010, 07:18 PM
I would talk to the teacher, too. And talk to anyone else you know that is knowledgeable about guitars. A substandard instrument can be SO discouraging for a beginner. For example, if the guitar can't stay in tune because shoddy tuning mechanisms slip all the time, imagine how frustrating that would be. If the "action" is so high that it hurts the child's fingers inordinately, imagine how frustrating that would be.

Remember that the resale value of a decent guitar will be pretty good if your child loses interest.

solatido
01-21-2010, 04:28 AM
Please please please please please don't get a guitar from a store that sells clothes or TP!!! I taught a guitar class last year and the dept. store guitars were such JUNK! They wouldn't stay in tune, parts fell off, and the list goes on. The $40 difference is so worth it. If he quits b/c the ISO (instrument shaped object) doesn't work well then you've just wasted the $60 anyway.

ISOs- guitars or band instruments are never worth it. Music stores can't repair them b/c the parts are hard or impossible to get.

scrappyknits
01-21-2010, 09:28 AM
My son's teacher is starting up a guitar club at school. My son would love to join. :)

I am currently taking lessons myself, and my teacher recommends going through a music store for a guitar. I was looking at Sears, and they have guitars there, for less....but I don't know the quality. Given that I would pretty much have to order whatever we get online, I'm hesitant. I don't want to buy a junk guitar. I also don't want to spend a fortune on a guitar for an almost 8 year old. Granted, a good guitar would be a decent investment. :think

Any thoughts?

We have several guitars - two of them are "Sears brand" lol One was a starter guitar for my dh from his parents when he was young, and it has been a great "beginner" instrument. The other was also gift, and it is not a very good quality - the two are totally different, but ordering from the catalogue there was no way for the parents to know that. (especially since the first was pretty good). One benefit, if you order from Sears, if it turns out to be a crapy instrument you CAN RETURN IT.

That said, the sound quality is certainly different. We looked at child-sized guitars in our local guitar store about a month ago for our 8 year old, and they start at $79.00 (and go up!) Perhaps you could ask the local store when they are planning to have a sale, OR if they rent instruments out (so you have a chance to see if your son is really interested in this). Or check some other not-so-local stores and compare prices! :shrug3

milkmommy
01-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Yes, a student one. :)

I can order one from Sears for $60, and $100 from the music store. I'm just wondering if the $40 difference would make it worth it. :think
IMHO yes I do't know about gutairs but I do know something on buying instruments in general.. Getting one from a place that gets the proper size a child needs that wants to sell something that will get you back in the store for "strings picks etc" from long term use VS the one time cool gutair cause its Black buy buy and next time they can sell you a new bike place :shifty A music store will most likely include a warently and have eaither an on site repair or be contracted with someone be a problem. Well worth a $60 diffrence. Plus its supporting a specific area thats dying off these days (music stores support music in the classroom) so I'd rather see my money go there. :shifty

Deanna

butterflyqueen71
01-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Please please please please please don't get a guitar from a store that sells clothes or TP!!! I taught a guitar class last year and the dept. store guitars were such JUNK! They wouldn't stay in tune, parts fell off, and the list goes on. The $40 difference is so worth it. If he quits b/c the ISO (instrument shaped object) doesn't work well then you've just wasted the $60 anyway.

ISOs- guitars or band instruments are never worth it. Music stores can't repair them b/c the parts are hard or impossible to get.

:yes

I have to 2nd this. I teach violin and I tell my students to be that it is imperative to start with a quality instrument, for the reasons mentioned above. There are several quality instruments available that are not too expensive. I don't know how it would work with guitar, they tend to be cheaper than violins, but at music stores, violins can be rented.

Go through a reputable music store, inquire there and consult the teacher about brands to look for.

If you buy at a Sears/Target/Walmart, you are essentially buying a toy, which is fine if you want something to play WITH, but if you want something to really learn how to PLAY, make the investment. ;)

mamaKristin
01-21-2010, 10:52 AM
Because we live somewhere where I can't see before buying, I ordered online from a known music store. Yes, it was more, but I do want quality, and I have at least one other child who is interested in playing too. I'm glad ya'll backed up my thoughts on quality over less price :)

We can't rent a guitar where I live, unless we went through the high school, but we missed the program start for that. I'm just hoping it arrives in time for the class to start!

katiekind
01-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Good choice! I hope your son enjoys the guitar!