PDA

View Full Version : Kids picking out their clothes

TuneMyHeart
01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
E is really starting to get picky about her clothes. She'll pick something out, get it on and then change her mind and want to wear something different. How do you handle this when you're trying to get out of the house? She's been really upset the last two Sundays because she didn't like what she was wearing to church, but we were already late and she picked the clothes out in the first place. :-/ I wouldn't let her change and she was upset, but once we got to church, she was fine.

The reason she didn't like her dresses the last two weeks, btw, was because they didn't have flowers on them. Not because they were uncomfortable. Before that, she wouldn't wear anything that wasn't light purple. It was pink previously. :giggle

If you have girls that only want to wear dresses, what do you do about playing? E doesn't want to wear any kind of shorts or leggings with her dresses.

E only wants to wear nightgowns to bed, but they're sleeveless and obviously don't cover her legs, and she refuses to wear anything with them. So she ends up cold and not sleeping well. I thought she'd figure out that she's cold and wear something else (or wear some leggings or pj pants with her nightgown), but she still refuses.

WDYD? I'm not interested in fighting over clothes.

swimming with sharks
01-20-2010, 10:13 AM
We have the rule that you wear shorts or pants with dresses. We've let her go a couple of times without, but if I I'm seeing her underwear, I tell her she needs to go put some pants on. :shrug3 It's not really a choice, just how it is. :think We talk a lot about modesty and how others shouldn't be seeing our underwear. We also talk about how that's really hard to remember when there's so much fun stuff going on. I do try to help her remember (without being a COMPLETE NAG!!! :snooty :bag) to keep her dress DOWN even when she's wearing pants/shorts to slowly (OH SO PAINFULLY SLOWLY! :giggle :ph)We've recently started laying out clothes sat night for church because otherwise she CAN NOT decide what dress to wear. :hunh:doh :heart

TuneMyHeart
01-20-2010, 10:16 AM
how do you enforce the pants/shorts with dresses?

we picked out her church clothes on Sat. night too.

mamacat
01-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Thats a hard age - my youngest dd would come out in all kinds of wierd get-ups and want to wear summer clothing in cool weather etc..Where it is a sleep/cold issue I would put the innapropriate nightgowns away and only have the warmer jammies available to her.If you want to enforce her wearing pants or leggings with her playdresses,because of weather or otherwise, I would give her choices like - if you want to play outside today you have to have pants on with your dress so would you like to wear these or these? She may not like it but you have to make sure she is warm and or modest.

TuneMyHeart
01-20-2010, 10:37 AM
unfortunately the nightgowns are Disney princess nightgowns, and she won't just forget about them if I put them away. She cries when they're in the laundry.

milkmommy
01-20-2010, 10:50 AM
I let mine pick she can change her mind as often as she likes but
1) clothes need to be appopiate for the activity and weather
2) undesirable clothing changed needs to be properly hung back up or folded in drawers
3) when its time to leave we leave so no changing 15 mintues before or risk going naked :shifty
4) shorts or leggings MUST be worn under dresses this is flat out not an option if you choose to not obey this rule you choose to not play outside or have friends ove to play period
5) your still resposonible for getting up properly dressed and ready for the day despite poor decessions on what to wear to bed that meant you didn't get decent sleep (especially repeated poor decessions)
6) any clothing choice that affects ones health or safety will be overturned my mommy or daddy end of story. :shifty
pouting fussing and saying I'm the meanest mommy in the world and NO other mom makes there kids do that is a futile fight and will go nowhere :shifty ;)
7)naked is not an option unless inside a bath tub getting inside bathtub dirrrectly comming out of bath tub or transationing to diffrent clothes ;)

Deanna

Deanna

mamacat
01-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Can you find her some warm jammies with the same princess'? Even if she cries if she is trying to wear sleeveless nightgowns and isnt sleeping well because she is cold I would have to stand firm on it and say that we have to put them away for now but that when it gets warmer she can have them again and she can go to the store with you and pick out a new winter nightgown(or 2 or 3).

kwisie
01-20-2010, 11:00 AM
You could also have special nighttime shirts that go under the nightgowns to keep her arms covered.

Aerynne
01-20-2010, 11:06 AM
I second trying to find her warm jammies with the same princess(es).

These are our clothing rules:

1. One outfit per day (unless something happens to it and it needs to be changed). The kids pick their own outfit

2. You cannot wear 2 prints together, no pink and red together, no navy and black together, and no wearing both a top and bottom that are the same color (for example both dark pink) unless they came as an outfit together (and thus match). These rules eliminate 95% of outfit matching problems.

3. Certain dresses are for church and dressy occasions only- can't wear them otherwise.

I put inappropriate-weather pj's up for the season. The kids can cry and complain all they want, but if they don't sleep well, they wake me up and I don't get to sleep, either. I also put shorts away for the winter.

I would enforce shorts/leggings under dresses if there were going to be active/outside play (playgrounds, etc.) but not in the house, but all dd's dresses are quite long. She also has to be careful about how she sits in dresses. If she had shorter dresses or skirts, I'd enforce leggings/pants under them all the time. While I wouldn't punish dd for breaking that rule, I have no problem punishing the skirt "If this skirt won't be worn appropriately, it's going to have to go into the top of your closet". Reminding is one thing if she forgets, but deliberately breaking the rule would result in removing the skirt from her options.