PDA

View Full Version : Cabin Fever

ValiantJoy07
01-07-2010, 01:01 PM
:ph
get me out of here!!!!

We've been stuck at home all week. Earlier this week we had colds, now we're feeling better but we still don't have a car (it's in the shop)...I haven't been out of the house since Sunday I am going :crazy

We've done every thing over and over, I am so so so tired of cold clammy hands/feet rubbing on me (dd1 won't keep ANYTHING on her feet right now- but they are cold and she wants them on some thing warm= my skin:snooty), of little bodies climbing all over me...NEEDING me. DH left before 6 this morning and won't be home untill almost 6 tonight. And he has another metting tomorrow immediately after work and won't be home untill 10 or 11pm...And I won't have a car tomorrow either. :doh

I'm losing my miiiind.

Do you guys have any ideas of things to do with a 2 year old (while having to care for a 5mos old?) that are indoor (it's freeeezing bitter cold outside and we dont' own any snow suits yet) actiivities...That AREN'T Playdoh, and kitchen related if I do ant of that a min more I'll scream. Maybe some new games to try on her new trampoline- something active! We're all sick of the TV we've watched waaaaay too much this week (since I we were all sick and not up to much).

help!
:nak2/holding

Iveyrock
01-07-2010, 07:07 PM
Simon Says? My two year old likes this a lot, and it's easy to make active. (Simon says hop like a bunny... frog... cricket... :giggle)

WanderingJuniper
01-07-2010, 07:29 PM
A variation of an Easter Egg hunt

Pretending to be different animals stretch and make the sound. We stretch like a snake. Wag our tail like a dog. Stretch like a cat. Make fish faces. :shrug It is a hit around here.

Heather Micaela
01-07-2010, 07:41 PM
We have disney DVD pictionary and we don't play and keep score, we just watch the pictures draw and try to guess what it is - even my 3yo can do it and my 19 month old just giggles and points.
But you'd have to go out and buy that - so save that for future reference ;)

ETA:
Do you have itunes? If so download some Greg and Steve movement songs. I can give you a list of the ones that are favorites with my kids and with my former preschool kids

erh384
01-07-2010, 07:50 PM
:hug I totally understand!! *JUST* today, we went outside to play for the first time since Christmas!

Simon says is a good idea. Or just plain "can you... jump like a frog, stand like a flamingo, etc etc" Books aren't active, but can probably save some sanity. Finger painting, playing with shaving cream, a lg bowl filled with cheerios, beans, sand, etc to play in.....

Maggirayne
01-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Subbing. . . it's -17 here.

Autumn
01-07-2010, 08:03 PM
:hug At least one of us has been sick since just before Christmas - I've got it now and I'm miserable - and so are the kids since we haven't left the house all week and DH has been working crazy hours. I totally understand.

We've been doing lots of pillow "fights" - we have a bunch of throw pillows and it's fun to toss them and let the kids bounce and giggle and dive onto the bed to avoid them. We have a queen and a double bed next to eachother in our room and it gets their energy out and helps everyone's moods.

:cup for more ideas

Aerynne
01-07-2010, 08:04 PM
Lots and lots of baths. You can dye them colors if you want to make it more interesting. And bring in interesting kitchen implements to use as bath toys (whisks, funnels, measuring cups, etc.)

Bring a bucket of snow inside and let them play with it in a dry bathtub.

Blanket/table fort

Teach them some yoga.

But the best games happen spontaneously. My kids made a giant "ship" out of a bunch of blankets stretched all across the upstairs yesterday and played for hours.

Made paper snowflakes yet?

hammering nails into wood or golf tees into styrofoam blocks

Heather Micaela
01-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Simon says is a good idea. Or just plain "can you... jump like a frog, stand like a flamingo, etc etc" Books aren't active, but can probably save some sanity. .....
That is why I LOVE Greg and Steve - they do that stuff FOR you and the songs are even fun for grown ups.

Some of my favorites:
Freeze
Listen and Move
Simon Says (yes as a song)
Dancing Machine
Boogie Walk

and others

AndiRoo
01-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Dance Parties!! They are a favorite around here!! ds is having one as we speak!! Cheerful happy music, puts a smile on everybody's faces!!