PDA

View Full Version : Just curious...

COTK
01-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Do you kiss you dc on the lips? If not, why not? If so, have you ever had any "problems"?

Dh and I kiss in front of dd. No deep necking or anything, obviously, but occasionally it's a little more than a peck. Once in a while when dd is in an especially affectionate mood, she'll seem to try to imitate that. I don't make a big deal about it. I just say, "That's how mommy & daddy kiss. Mommy & Lucy kiss like this." Then just give her a peck, sometimes if I'm feeling silly, several pecks all over her face. :shrug3

Plus, not only does she see us kiss, but there are an insane amount of kisses in movies!

Thoughts?

Aerynne
01-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Dh and I don't kiss the kids on the lips. It just weirds us out. I don't think it's wrong, though.

But I also hate to get sick so I try very hard not to share cups, forks, etc, with my kids or eat out of the same dish, even if they seem healthy. Sometimes I do it anyway, though, if it's very inconvenient not to.

aleigh
01-04-2010, 06:17 PM
We kiss on the lips. DS LOVES kisses. But, I come from a family of kissers. We all still kiss on the lips, so it's not weird to me at all.

swimming with sharks
01-04-2010, 06:18 PM
we kiss littles on the lips, but as they move on to bigs they get kisses on the cheeks (not limited to there for funny silliness :D) :heart

Kiara.I
01-04-2010, 07:05 PM
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by "problems."

My family growing up always kissed on the cheek. (Well, mom and dad kissed each other on the lips, but everyone else was cheeks only.) Or forehead, I suppose.

So that was what we decided to do with the kids. Of course, we didn't really take into account that they hadn't gotten the memo. :doh

So when DS1 got old enough to start kissing, he started kissing on the mouth. We ran with it, because he so clearly was pleased that he knew how to do this kissing thing now, and I really didn't want to puncture the balloon.

However, recently we had a discussion about kissing on the cheeks, and he seems to understand it pretty well now.

So like SwS mentioned, I think we will kiss really littles on the cheeks, littles on the mouth, and biggers on the cheeks again. So complicated...:think

sarainseattle
01-05-2010, 01:29 PM
we've kissed DD on the mouth. I don't feel like there is anything particularly sexual or weird about a mouth-kiss, but I grew up in a family where that was just normal.

NewLeaf
01-05-2010, 01:34 PM
DD and my niece go right for the lips. My only reason for not liking it is how slobbery it is. :shiver I try to slip them a cheek most of the time but that usually makes a 're-do' necessary. :rolleyes "Mommy I missed!"

Dd has given me big, dramatic kisses before but I don't correct her or say anything about it. She's just being REALLY affectionate and to her that means an extra long, smoosh my face into yours until you can't breathe, kiss. :shrug3

They out grow it.

Herbwifemama
01-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Dd and I kiss on the mouth, but it's a closed mouth kiss, obviously. Dh and I kiss in front of dd, but not too often (mainly because he's never home!) and it's not usually huge and passionate or anything in front of her. Dd's lil puckered lips are so cute! :heart

I remember kissing my parents on the lips, and at some point it stopped. Except for one time last year when my dad kissed me on the lips on his way out. I think he was just in the habit of kissing mom, and didn't think first. :lol (I've called him "honey" before without thinking, lol!)

I figure it will stop at some point naturally with dd too.

Emerald Orchid
01-05-2010, 01:39 PM
We kiss on the lips. It's not something I've ever really given thought about. :shrug3 My parents brought me up saying that it was bad to kiss them on the lips, but with my dc, I see it as no big deal. Maybe when they get older that will change.

arelyn
01-05-2010, 01:43 PM
Ditto Kiara. I came from a cheek-kiss home and figured we'd be cheek kissers but DS figured out the mouth kiss first and I didn't want to ruin it for him. Now that he's 2.5 I've been kissing only his cheeks (well, and silly things like tummy and after bath toes). I till except mouth kisses but as I've changed he's been modifying too. Then we visited my parents and he went to smooch my mom on the lips and she turned her face and pointed to her cheek and he totally "got it". I haven't gotten a mouth kiss since and it's a little sad but I'll deal. There's still a LOT of smooching going on around here!

WingsOfTheMorning
01-05-2010, 02:22 PM
I think DH is a little weirded out by mouth kisses, but they don't bother me. I figure we'll probably switch to cheeks as she gets older, but I don't know when that would be exactly.

november
01-05-2010, 02:26 PM
I've never thought twice about kissing her on the lips thus far. I do it all the time! It cracks me up sometimes too because that's how I figure out she's starting to get hungry. I kiss her lips and she opens wide like a little birdy wanting a worm .. 'feeeed meeeee!', LOL.

jrsmama
01-05-2010, 02:30 PM
Lip kisser here from a long line of lip kissers. My maternal grandmother also always required "sugar"...a kiss on our necks. Love it.

dancingWNC
01-05-2010, 02:30 PM
another mouth-kisser here!
it was kind of a big deal to my immediate family, but my extended family did - my aunts kissed their kiddos and us on the lips.
we just kiss where the babes want to kiss. i figure when they start to get a sense of themselves and privacy and all that they'll make a switch on their own.

(anyone remember the song "Butterfly Kisses" where the little girl grows enuf to ask to kiss on the cheek instead?)

Herbwifemama
01-05-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah, I love really little kisses, those open mouthed kisses. :) Ok, I'm not so much a fan of the spit, but the sentiment is nice. :)

DoulaClara
01-05-2010, 03:03 PM
:no No, we do not kiss our kids on the mouth. We don't want them kissing other adults on the mouth, either. It's one of those things where if other people do it with their kids, eh, :shrug3 whatever makes them happy! There are some good reasons (health-wise) why, in our circle, we do not want them kissing one another on mucous membranes.

Gianna sometimes tries to go in for the open-mouth kiss on the lips to either one of us. She was worn 24-7 until she was about 18 months old, so she's certainly seen us kiss a lot! We just turn our faces, and tell her that mouth kisses are just for Mommy and Daddy for now.

Autumn
01-05-2010, 03:20 PM
Mouth-kisser here - my whole family still gives quick kisses on the mouth when we say hello or goodbye. Kisses are usually quick on the way to a hug, and if a cheek is offered instead or the person skips to a hug, it's never been an issue :shrug3

We kiss DDs on the mouth but we teach that we blow kisses to people who aren't family. Never had any problems with it :)

ValiantJoy07
01-07-2010, 05:24 AM
:O DH and I definitely "neck" in front of the kids (I mean they are young still but we have no plans on stopping- maybe we'll keep it a leeeetle more PG when dd's get a bit older, but at this point she just thinks it's hilarious). We encourage hugging and no kissing with other adults- but dd1 isn't an affectionate person she's not the type to just kiss some one, and if she decided to we'd encourage her to kiss on the cheek.

Both our parents were VERY affectionate- and we loved seeing it growing up (well up to a certain age ;) ). I think if dd's tried to kiss me in any way that I found inappropriate I'd just say "this is how WE kiss" (like you mentioned).. and make up a new silly kiss and butterfly kisses to distract, or bring into our relationship...We do kiss the girls on the lips I'll let them decide when they're ready to move away from that- some cultures it's acceptable to do that all your life.:shrug3 I think DH still kissed his Mom on the lips up untill he got engaged with me. I think it's all about your comfort level and culture around you.
ETA: when *I* kiss the girls I go for the cheeks/neck silly kisses (because drool - not to mention runny noses :shiver) when THEY kiss me they go for the lips (dd2 grabs me by both cheeks and opens her mouth soooo wide and "kisses" it's funny).

Gram
01-13-2010, 09:46 PM
We didn't and don't kiss on the mouth. I don't know -- it's just that my attitude was always to rear my children to be great adults: that was constantly the goal. And part of that included not kissing them on the lips, because I wanted to preserve that for their "someone special" when they were, themselves, adults -- for their husband/wife. Also, I didn't want them to even come close to sharing (for want of a better term) mouth-kissing habitually. :)

BeckaBlue
01-13-2010, 09:51 PM
I used to but since an incident w/ SA a few yrs ago i can't anymore

cferreri
01-13-2010, 10:05 PM
We are check kissers here with the bigs. My dh and I of course kiss on the lips, but like others he is often not home till late. Our youngest is just learning to kiss and she likes to peck our lips....we will be helping her redirect to the checks simply because of germs. With a household of 8 I try to keep eveyone as healthy as possible.

I really do not think there is "right" or wrong way for a family to kiss. Good luck.

Heather Micaela
01-13-2010, 10:08 PM
Babies, yes. By the time they are three, it has been phased out rather naturally w/o thought but kisses continue on cheeks, top of head, etc.

My 8 yo is not kissy much anymore or fond of recieving them so :shrug3. He still gets lots of hugs