PDA

View Full Version : We need some ideas

Kazimiera
12-23-2009, 07:31 AM
Let me begin by saying. We both work (although the hours we are "away" are flexible so someone is always at home) so we need enough sleep to function at a certain level. Also if I repeatedly get "not enough sleep" I usually end up sick. I am an 8 hour gal. What we have done to help with this is move our bedtime up from 11:00 to 10:00. I will admit sometimes DH and I talk for a while before we sleep but we did that when we went to bed at 11.

This is not a they don't need that much sleep issue. They are usually grumpy tired by 9am, so we have sleepy kiddos day. When they do not get enough sleep they are not fun to be around. Grumpy, whinny children all day long. And they refuse to take naps. Although we have "rest" time while they watch a movie. Sometimes the younger one will fall asleep.

My girls want to get up at 5am (well one of them gets up at 5 and usually she manages to wake the other up).

We have tried several things to try to get the girls to sleep later. They went to bed at 7pm. We tired moving their bedtime back to 8pm. Did that for a week. No positive result just more tired children. So we moved their bed time up to 6pm. That worked until the time change. We waited a couple of weeks after the time change and tried our bedtime changes again to no avail.

So we bought her a digital clock. You can not get up until there is a 6 here. That worked for a week and then the novelty wore off. The result is she now knows that we eat breakfast at 7am and can tell us it is breakfast time.

So we have tried telling her she can turn on her light and close her door and play quietly until it is wake up time. Sometimes this works. Sometimes "quietly" is not as quiet as we would like and her younger sister is awoken.

Most days she will play for a certain amount of time and then will sneak out of her room and down stairs and into my office or other places where she can get hurt or break expensive things. We can make sure the living room, dining room and kitchen are fairly safe (as long as she is not hunting or climbing for knives or something), we can shut the basement door and she for some reason is unable to turn the knob on that door. My office has no door. Well there is a door in the garage which belongs to my office but before we moved in the church (I am a pastor and live in a parsonage) put ceramic tiles in the foyer and in my office, the door will no longer fit. My husband is not "handy" and is nervous about taking the church door and cutting it shorter and putting a door on my office.

So we put a large object in front of my office. That worked for one night. Last night she figured out how to move it and then move it back when she left so when I came down to my office I was surprised to see signs that a kiddo had been in there.

My husband wants there to be a consequence for getting up "in the middle of the night" 5am (and sometimes earlier). I have to say it just not good for anybody. He thinks if they want to get up and play perhaps they should have to go play outside - as is - in jammies with no socks on (big issue right now there is 16 inches of snow out there). I am unsure this is a good idea.
He really believes in Gentle Parenting. In fact he will share about it to anybody who says something slightly related to parenting. But he is at his wits end. I am willing to say this sucks. We need to keep things as safe as possible and keep talking to her about the rules, enforce them as best we can, i.e. getting up and putting her back in her room when we wake up and realize she is not in her bed (unfortunatly doing just that tends to be one of the major things which wakes her younger sister up).

That was a long saga of a tale.
What do you ladies think.

Aerynne
12-23-2009, 07:35 AM
How old are your kids?

tigerlily
12-23-2009, 07:37 AM
I hate to suggest it, but what about a tv/dvd player.:shrug3

Also, is there somewhere dd2 could sleep that she would be less likely to be woken up?

:hug2 sleep issues can be so tough.:yawn

deena
12-23-2009, 07:42 AM
ack. Jamies with no socks? Sooooo not Gentle Discipline. (But you know this).

It's such a tough situation... but sleep is hugely important to me too and my kids tended to need about as much or less than me. What I always had to do was keep them on my schedule. Which literally meant they went to bed at midnight most nights. :shifty. But they slept in til at least 10:00 and I needed that. I'm a night owl. I know that doesn't exactly work for you- because they're clearly morning people. And don't they go to preschool? Is it in the mornings? So midnight would be a bit extreme. But maybe 10:00 is just what they need. I know you tried 8:00 for a week and it didn't work. But if you try it for , oh, three weeks, I'm sure it would. :) If they have a school break for Christmas that would be a good time to start.

You have to give up your "alone" time in the evenings. But if you're desperate enough to consider outdoor time in Jamies, then it's time to make some serious sacrifices for this problem.

Also, make sure they have dark dark curtains- even put a blanket over the window if necessary.

And you might try melatonin too.

I second the TV idea too. With boys it's easier because they will totally zone out on video games, quietly for hooooours.

Kazimiera
12-23-2009, 07:50 AM
4.5 and 3.
The little one has been moving to our bed in the middle of the night for well over a week. Right now she is waking up when either of us gets up to put the elder back in her room.

Did I mention we have tried bringing her into our room or laying with her in her room?

It is not a sun issue. She is getting up before the sun. The blinds (light dampening) are closed. She will open then when the sun comes up.

We have a TV no TV reception. She can't reach the DVD player. We had a small one but it no longer works because she did something to break it. So not sure I trust her with another one.

deena
12-23-2009, 07:54 AM
4.5 and 3.

Did I mention we have tried bringing her into our room or laying with her in her room?

:tu

It is not a sun issue. She is getting up before the sun. The blinds (light dampening) are closed. She will open then when the sun comes up.wow.

We have a TV no TV reception. She can't reach the DVD player. We had a small one but it no longer works because she did something to break it. So not sure I trust her with another one.ah ha... here might be the solution. Can you afford cable? Especially with the newness factor they might be entranced. :mrgreen

graciousmomma
12-23-2009, 10:35 AM
I am interested in other ideas as well. We have kids that do similar things with the sleeping. :popcorn

klpmommy
12-23-2009, 10:43 AM
I am so not a morning person, but P is very much one. :sigh I finally just accepted it & got up with them & laid on the couch or whatever to "rest" enough 'til I could get up. The 5am wake ups lasted quite a while, then it moved to 6ish. Now they are sleeping to about 8 (but S has started the early wake ups)

deena
12-23-2009, 11:46 AM
I am so not a morning person, but P is very much one. :sigh I finally just accepted it & got up with them & laid on the couch or whatever to "rest" enough 'til I could get up. The 5am wake ups lasted quite a while, then it moved to 6ish. Now they are sleeping to about 8 (but S has started the early wake ups)

You know, that's another idea... You get on their schedule. I kind of did that when Dimitri started kindergarten this year. He needs to be up at 8:00. I'm embarrassed to admit I need about ten hours of sleep, but I do so even though I'm a night owl I go to bed around 9:00 or 10:00 with him. Dh stays up with the older boys.

Kazimiera
12-23-2009, 02:50 PM
getting on their schedule ends up in TIRED kiddos ALL day. which is not fun for mommy or daddy (which ever is at home that day)

klpmommy
12-23-2009, 02:55 PM
if they are getting up before their bodies are ready i'd push their bedtime back 20 min to begin.

Little Forest
12-24-2009, 05:23 AM
Are they not taking naps during the day? Many children this young still need them and don't get all the sleep they need overnight.

To address the issue of your own sleep though, could you and you husband take turns getting up early with the children? That is so young to be left to their own devices.

illinoismommy
12-24-2009, 06:10 AM
Target has a dvd player on sale for $30 right now. buy one of those and teach them to use it when they wake in the morning...