PDA

View Full Version : What would you buy?

Aerynne
12-23-2009, 07:29 AM
Due to financial circumstances, we homeschool almost for free. I don't have any curriculum, etc, but we do have a good library, an encyclopedia set I got used, many books, a world map, board games, art supplies, etc. We also pay for dd's piano lessons- very important to me. However, I got some Christmas money (about $80) to spend on educational stuff for the kids. What would you buy for a 5 1/2 year old and a 2 1/2 year old with the money? One thing I am thinking is a multiplication board for dd (a square board you can put marbles in to multiply with- yes she is pretty good at math)

I like Montessori and Charlotte Mason philosophies.

Singingmom
12-23-2009, 08:25 AM
Fun! :)

Puzzles? I like Lauri.

~yogamom~
12-23-2009, 09:16 AM
math manipulatives

MomtoJGJ
12-23-2009, 09:19 AM
lots of fun games :)

teamommy
12-23-2009, 10:02 AM
I'd probably save it for first grade in case there was any curriculum or books I'd want then (like phonetic readers, or handwriting book).

I think most math manipulatives can be made. The only thing that is harder to make that has the same visual effect, is a base 10 set (love our set, use it weekly), and linking cubes are also nice to have.

I agree with games, too.

Aerynne
12-23-2009, 01:26 PM
Thanks for your replies.

This is Christmas money I get every year, so I don't feel the need to save it.

So what math manipulatives are good? (links to websites) or how can I make them and what should I make?

We have a ton of games and but I'd be open to suggestions of specific ones that we might not have.

abh5e8
12-23-2009, 01:31 PM
:cup

MomtoJGJ
12-23-2009, 04:02 PM
any of the classic games... candyland, chutes and ladders, hi ho cherry o, connect four... any trivia games, monopoly junior.... just go down the game aisle at a store :) anything with dice or cards...

Love_Is_Patient
12-26-2009, 05:53 PM
what about science experiement books/kits/supplies?

mommy2abigail
12-26-2009, 06:22 PM
I'd go to the thrift store and pick up some books, games, and supplies for making our own manipulatives. Look through some educational websites/magazines and see which manipulatives would appeal to your kids, and what you could use and see if you can figure out how to make them for less. An abacus is a great tool if you don't already have one. Counting blocks can be anything, beans, pasta, ect.

Sweet Life
12-26-2009, 06:37 PM
So what math manipulatives are good? (links to websites) or how can I make them and what should I make?

Foam or large dice

Cuisinaire rods - we purchased a starter set and a book to go with it for hmm..maybe $30 total. We could definitely use more rods, my kids love this math activity.

http://www.mardel.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=366999

Counting/sorting bears -- or any set that allows you to count/sort

We have some like this except they are all the same size, and have a sorting bucket for each color:

http://www.mardel.com/store/item.aspx?ItemId=363920

Pattern cards -- Scholastic sells cards and manipulatives to go with it. The card shows the pattern and the child can mimic the pattern with the manipulatives and then discover which one would come next in the sequence

One item I'd love to get (but not even sure of the right name) is a circuit board set. One of our local stores sells them and they can be reconfigured into several different projects such as an electrical switch, transistor radio, etc

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:36 PM ----------

what about science experiement books/kits/supplies?

Usborne sells *great* books for science experiments

veggiegirl
12-28-2009, 10:22 AM
We bought the Melissa and Doug clock puzzle for Christmas and it was a big hit with our 3 year old and our 6 year old. It teaches numbers, counting, colors, and of course telling time.

I would also look into what curriculum books you might want to buy for First Grade. Maybe a math workbook from Horizons or something of the sort. The Bob Books are also good for teaching reading and inexpensive.

My 3 year old got the Super Why ABC Letter Board Game for Christmas and it is something good for the 3-6 age range.

Have fun shopping!

IslandMama
12-28-2009, 11:26 AM
I would buy some linking cubes... I use them for my Pre-k and 8yo dd... they're great for learning colors, counting, creating patterns, adding, subtracting, multiplication, and division...

I would probably invest in some favorite classics for read alouds from the thrift store or used book store.

I second the classic games too!

I'm not sure what you're using for math, but Horizon workbooks sounds like a good idea, and I know of free math curriculum online too! :)

Maybe some Usborne Encyclopedias or something similar, like a world history or science encyclopedia...

Janice VanCleave science books are great and use household items for the experiments.

I love buying curriculum and learning stuff! Have fun!:D