PDA

View Full Version : Teaching 4-5 year olds to give back

ReedleBeetle
12-16-2009, 03:45 PM
We are looking for ways to teach DS to give back to the community and those less fortunate than us. We were going to go and work the local food bank and start doing that every time our church was covering it (the Methodist churches rotate through). Then we found out they don't really think there is *anything* Isaac can do, even if we are right with him. So...that is out the window. We really thought he could bag/box things with assistance and such, but apparently not. So, give me your ideas! this is something we wanted to start this Christmas season and continue at least once quarterly.

swimming with sharks
12-16-2009, 04:00 PM
can you look for a different food bank? I know we do the angel tree and operation shoe box each year and I honestly think it's MORE fun for dd than any of the gifts etc she receives. She LOVES shopping for the other kids and we talk about sharing our blessings with others. :heart As for the rest of the year...could you do some baking/nursing home visits? :think I'll be watching for more ideas year round.

ReedleBeetle
12-16-2009, 04:18 PM
I thought we could do a nursing home this year instead, but there are 2 issues. One, finding something nice that won't endanger health (if they have sugar/blood pressure/heart issues) and that won't break the bank. We did donate some money to a boxed dinner charity around here. I don't know how much Isaac was aware of that. I am wanting to teach him to give back with time as much or even more than with money. I feel like the monetarily giving just isn't tangible enough at this age. We also don't know if they will let under 18s in right now...although that would be easy to find out.

Little Forest
12-19-2009, 07:58 AM
How about having him help pick out cans in a grocery store or from your own shelves to deliver to a charity. It is something really small to us but it might have a big impact on him.

Last year when we shopped one time the girls helped me pick out cans to donate in the grocery store that we put into one particular bag. My oldest asked to buy juice that week and I told her we didn't have money left in the budget because of buying food to give to others and she was actually satisfied with that explanation. (That and I think that juice is glorified sugar water!)

Too bad about the food bank!

Aerynne
12-20-2009, 09:56 AM
My five-year-old can knit hats with a knitting loom. It's not very hard. You could make baby hats for charity. That's something I wanted to do with her this year but we didn't get around to it. So far she's just made a hat for her cousin.

ReedleBeetle
12-20-2009, 03:48 PM
Like a big loom? Hmmm....I don't knit so I am not sure what you are talking about. :giggle It sounds fun though!

Victorious
12-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Perhaps delivering Meals on Wheels together? He could be the desert giver :giggle . I would check with the administrator of the program to see if he deemed the recipients "safe" for a preschooler to interact with. When I did it (once a week as a nursing home marketer) I rarely saw past people's front doors. If you couldn't deliver meals perhaps you could bake cookies to add to the meals.

Nursing Homes really appreciate people to call bingo. The elderly would love to have a little one around and the bonus would be practicing numbers and letters!

ReedleBeetle
12-20-2009, 09:41 PM
Thank you!! Those are some GREAT ideas!!

Aerynne
12-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Here's the knitting loom:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3739634&CAWELAID=381895740 (but I suggest getting it a craft store using a 40% off any item coupon)

You use the smallest one for newborn hats, next size for toddlers, etc. The newborn one is maybe 5 inches in diameter.

imaginationMama
12-27-2009, 07:44 PM
I'm always looking for ideas in this area..so thanks for the suggestions. Here's some things I've done with my girls:
1. Serve meals for homeless..I only had one daughter then who was 3. Not old enough to actually serve the meals, but we made cookies before hand and put them in bags and she handed everyone a bag of cookies as they came through the line.
2. Nursing home visits - took home made cards and just walked around the dining room handing out the cards and talking to people. They don't necessarily want "stuff"..but they love to see small children.
3. This Christmas, my 6 year old did chores for me and her grandparents to earn extra money. She purchased 20 toys from a dollar store (10 hot-wheel like cars for boys and 10 ponies for girls), and candy canes. I put a book with each ($1 books from scholastic). We made gift bags and delivered them to Children's Hospital. She couldn't actually pass the bags out to the kids, but we took them to the pastoral care office (we had contacted them first) and they were great. One of the chaplains came out and talked to my girls (6 and 4) for a long time and told them they would be given to the children and he talked about how it helped the kids to feel better and put a smile on their faces. My oldest is AFRAID of all things medical (she's had some bad experiences) and will be facing more surgeries in the future..so it was really neat for her. He prayed with our family before we left and it was just an overall positive experience.