PDA

View Full Version : "No Crying He Makes..."

ValiantJoy07
12-08-2009, 12:18 PM
I was singing dd1 down for her nap today, and since it's December I sang some christmas songs.

It seems that all the songs about Jesus as a baby he was "tender and mild" and "no crying he makes"...
Now I'm not really making a serious point here...It was just some thing I was musing about while I fell asleep.

Was Jesus really a "tender and mild" baby?? I would think since He was God incarnate that God would have wanted to have the full experience (if that makes sense), lots of using those lungs- maybe a bit of a fussier baby and intense...Very curious about every thing, more so than most toddlers. I wonder if He was really percocious and talkative, always coming up with really creative and interesting things to share. Noticing small things that Mary never thought to look at, marvelling at His creation at the angle He was seeing it at.

We dont' know much about that time in His life, but I bet Jesus was an absolute handful for His earthly parents growing up...I mean they lost him in the crowd because he wandered off to talk with the teachers in the synagogue when He was a kid. :shrug3

It was just a new angle of the whole thing I never really pondered on. When I think about the job Mary must have had before her raising Him- because he WAS human (just with out sin)- boy she had her hands full! It made me appreciate the job God has given me in raising my dd's more...They are just as precious to Him as His own Son...The responsability is just as great, and I am His representative

...But I'm still glad I didn't have Mary's exact job- whoa!!!

Mods I wasn't sure if this should be here, but it seemed like a multi-age parenting thing to share to me...:think Just some thing I was thinking about with the Holy Days approaching!:heart

Hope no one thinks I'm over the line in sharing this. :O

4MKfam
12-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Our family always changed that verse to "some crying He makes." :shifty.

Mashena
12-08-2009, 01:16 PM
my mom always changed it to "some" too.

I think he was fully human - even as Baby. I once heard the 'no crying" explained as Jesus wouldn't cry because crying is evidence of sin in a baby since they're impatient? :hunh

ever since then I REALLY don't like singing "no crying".

Wonder Woman
12-08-2009, 01:22 PM
I think that the fact that he was fully human means he had tantrums and screamed and probably slapped his younger brothers, etc :shifty Because those things are *maturity* issues and not *sin* issues :shrug

If He had been so immensely, other-worldly perfect, there would have been no room to question his Messiah-hood :shrug

Like I said in a blog post a while ago - He even had BO :giggle He wasn't this iconic cherub who smelled like roses and swished around in a tunic ;) He was HUMAN, and yet still our Savior :heart

thrillofhope
12-08-2009, 02:02 PM
I love this idea. Thanks.

Mokek Kwe
12-08-2009, 02:09 PM
I, too, think Jesus must have kept Mary and Joseph on their toes. Perhaps he was a fussy baby, but maybe he wasn't. I'm sure Mary was probably a responsive mother, especially since (that I know of) there weren't "experts" advising moms to let their babies CIO or anything like that. And sometimes fussy babies with responsive mothers are still fussy, but... I totally lost my train of thought, there. Sorry! LOL.

Jemma2
12-08-2009, 02:12 PM
I was just thinking about this because we've been practising this song for our upcoming Sunday School program.

Meli
12-08-2009, 07:39 PM
In the context of the song, it doesn't bother me, because I assume that he was making no crying because he being held and loved on by his mum, in the moment of the waking.

Throughout babyhood and childhood I am sure he had moments of crying.

Rea T
12-08-2009, 07:43 PM
In the context of the song, it doesn't bother me, because I assume that he was making no crying because he being held and loved on by his mum, in the moment of the waking.

Throughout babyhood and childhood I am sure he had moments of crying.

That's always been my take on it...mama is there holding him so he doesn't need to cry.

Although it is really hard to wrap my mind around the idea of the savior of the world as a baby with stinky diapers and crying spells, no matter how true it may be!

Katiebug
12-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Or he was just in that quiet alert just born phase. Or sleeping:lol

Meli
12-08-2009, 08:06 PM
Or sleeping:lol

except that the "no crying"comment comes after "the baby awakes"

(do you think we are over analysing this? :giggle )

JJsMom
12-08-2009, 08:11 PM

:giggle

I love the thought of him being a curious little toddler appreciating God's creation. :heart

Zipporah
12-08-2009, 11:06 PM
Dontcha all know babies just cry because they're sinful and trying to manipulate you? :p

Yeah, it bugs me ;)

Living My Dream
12-09-2009, 06:24 AM
thanks for thi topic

HomeWithMyBabies
12-09-2009, 06:42 AM
I hear that as a descriptor of the night itself, continuing along the lines of the still night, not anything we're supposed to assume about Jesus. I'm pretty sure he was a kid with typical kid behaviors.

The literal translation of the "tender and mild" line is "blessed boy in curly hair" so I wouldn't read too much into the song.

ThirstyTurtle
12-09-2009, 06:58 AM
I never thought the words in the song meant that he never cried at all. I always imagined that it was describing the time after his birth as very peaceful and happy.

ValiantJoy07
12-10-2009, 06:05 AM
except that the "no crying"comment comes after "the baby awakes"

:giggle probably but it's really fun thing to think about. I've enjoyed every one's take on it. Thanks for sharing all!

---------- Post added at 01:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

I never thought the words in the song meant that he never cried at all. I always imagined that it was describing the time after his birth as very peaceful and happy.
I hope it was peaceful and happy. I can imagine how potentially stressful it must have been to be in early labor wandering the city trying to find a place to HAVE the baby so you wouldn't have to give birth on the street. I mean I am sure Mary knew God had it all in hand, but *I* would have been completely freaking out about that (though then again I can't really imagine what it must have been like to give birth to the son of God). And she was (it's believed) so young, what a special person she must have been.