PDA

View Full Version : Can we please talk over ammonia?

MTmomma
10-29-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm just trying to understand exactly what causes ammonia issues so I can best figure out how to deal with it.

This is what I have heard and believe to be true:

-Ammonia is caused by bacteria left in the diaper that break down the urine

So given that, I can completely understand how not getting all the yuckies totally washed out could lead to ammonia. But I am confused by how detergent build up and mineral build up also lead to ammonia. Can someone enlighten me on this? Does buildup trap bacteria or something? Is bacteria the ONLY thing that can cause ammonia or is there something else?

If it is indeed a bacteria issue, then we need to either get the bacteria out or kill it, right? For getting it out, one might need to adjust the amount of detergent used, correct? And what about killing it? I know of bleach, but are there other alternatives, and do they work? Anything else one needs to know about killing bacteria?

As far as buildup is concerned, are there any good options aside from using a good detergent and stripping? What about mineral deposits? Is there any way to avoid that? I especially have water that is prone to mineral deposits, so I'm trying to figure this out with the dipes.

I think that's all of my big questions. If there's anything I've missed please let me know!! I'm trying to get this figured out so I can have a system in place to avoid ammonia burns and also so I can start cd-ing at night again.

Buela
10-30-2009, 09:47 AM
:bump

My pail reeks too, no matter what I do . . .

sarainseattle
10-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Without a doubt, the number one mistake I think people do is with cloth diapers is use too much detergent.

Detergent works to clean your clothes and diapers by acting as an attract for icky bacteria and such, and by attracting the ickies out and rinsing out in the wash. But too much detergent means that you'll be left with this "attractant" in your diapers, so it acts sort of as a magnet for the bacteria, which leads to stink issues. Does that make sense?

So most of the time stinky diapers are not because the diapers aren't being clean, but just because you only need a fractional amount of detergent or you can end up with bacteria.

Most people need WAY less detergent than the recommended amount.

I have found that I only need 1/2 teaspoon for my front-loader. (for comparison sake, the scoop that came with the detergent is a few tablespoons).

2sunshines
10-31-2009, 08:48 PM
You know, I really think that this diapering/detergent thing has so many varibles involved that it's hard to make hard and fast general rules. I know that many people use too much detergent and therefore get detergent build up and therefore get stink. But I also know that many people don't use enough detergent and therefore aren't getting the bacteria out of their diapers and therefore get stink. Some people swear by the "you're using too much detergent" theory, while others swear by the "you're using not enough detergent" theory.

I really really think it's a matter of figuring out what works for your diapers, in your water, with your detergent. For some people, it will be less detergent, for others it will be more.

Now to your specific questions.

I have no clue as to the specific science behind it but I always just assumed that detergent build up can cause stinkies because since the detergent is left on the diaper, when baby pees, there's some sort of a reaction between the built up detergent and the pee, causing stink. :shrug3 I could be way wrong tho. :giggle

There are other ways to remove bacteria than just bleach. Tea tree oil is one alternative that many people use. I konw that there are others, I've never looked into it deeply since I've never needed to use anything other than soap. Hot water kills bacteria.

Avoiding build up is again, a matter of figuring out your system. I agree with the pp that you usually need much less detergent that the recommended amount. I've only stripped my diapers once in my cloth diapering career, and I've been cd'ing on and off for the past 8 years. So stripping is not an inevitable part of cloth diapering.

cro
10-31-2009, 10:40 PM
Before CDing, I didn't realize how much science there is to this laundry business! Amounts of detergent, ingredients in detergent, different fibers, what type of water you have, what type of machine you have... There are so many factors, so a lot of this is trial and error.

I've learned that hard water can make it difficult to get your laundry really clean, and can cause ammonia problems too. Aside from a water softener (which we don't have), vinegar can help combat this - I add some to every wash. Every month or 2, I soak my PFs in the washer w/ about 4 cups of vinegar and that really helps.

Quiteria
10-31-2009, 11:54 PM
:glasses bbl to read this

DragonfliiMama
11-01-2009, 07:40 AM
So if I already have detergent build up, how do I get rid of it? I stripped recently, but I'm already starting to notice stink again. It's a good bet it's detergent, because I've been lazy about measuring it. :blush

sarainseattle
11-01-2009, 09:35 AM
So if I already have detergent build up, how do I get rid of it? I stripped recently, but I'm already starting to notice stink again. It's a good bet it's detergent, because I've been lazy about measuring it. :blush

you can try a couple methods. some people just use the "extremely hot water" method--meaning they rinse them several times with really hot water. I personally haven't been that successful with that.

Some people swear by using a bit of Dawn. There are good instructions here:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2225268_cloth-diapers-rid-stink-leaks.html

There's also an extracting agent called RLR that you can get. I've had good success with that. I haven't found it locally but ebay always has some for reasonable prices.

MTmomma
11-01-2009, 10:43 AM

Ditto the RLR. It is the only thing that has really worked for me.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 PM ----------

Before CDing, I didn't realize how much science there is to this laundry business! Amounts of detergent, ingredients in detergent, different fibers, what type of water you have, what type of machine you have... There are so many factors, so a lot of this is trial and error.

I've learned that hard water can make it difficult to get your laundry really clean, and can cause ammonia problems too. Aside from a water softener (which we don't have), vinegar can help combat this - I add some to every wash. Every month or 2, I soak my PFs in the washer w/ about 4 cups of vinegar and that really helps.

I've heard conflicting things about vinegar and hard water. I hate this diaper washing business....especially when we move and the water is different! I'll have to try vinegar again.

DragonfliiMama
11-01-2009, 04:50 PM
:sigh None of those are going to be convenient options for me. I really don't want and can't afford to buy something new, especially if I have to pay shipping. We don't have Dawn b/c I try to use natural stuff as much as possible. And my washer doesn't have a hot rinse option - closest it comes is hot wash/cold rinse but that means I am going to have to catch it before it goes into the rinse cycle. I'll talk to Mom. Maybe she'll have some Dawn, or maybe I can use her washer.

2sunshines
11-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Fwiw, you can buy a small bottle of Dawn for a couple of dollars at Walmart (or any store). My washer doesn't have a hot rinse option either, but I just catch it mid cycle and restart it if I want to do a hot rinse.

What type of diapers are you using?

TuneMyHeart
11-01-2009, 06:21 PM
I had horrible stink too, and what finally helped was soaking my diapers in vinegar (Happygrl's suggestion). I washed them several times in hot water, then put them in the tub and poured vinegar on them and let them soak for several hours.

DragonfliiMama
11-01-2009, 06:43 PM
I'm using prefolds. The good news is that I have hope the detergent may be the culprit, and not my "CD-safe" diaper cream like I originally thought. Yeah, I *could* catch it mid-cycle. But that means I need to remember to be listening for it, and then hope I'm not in the middle of something I can't put down when I need to go catch it. Frankly, I just don't see that happening. And certainly not repeatedly. Ya know?

2sunshines
11-01-2009, 06:45 PM
With prefolds, you could just boil them.

DragonfliiMama
11-01-2009, 07:04 PM
I did. That was also an ordeal, including needing to borrow pots big enough for it from my mother, which then sat around our apartment for over a week before she remembered to take them home again. This was just a couple weeks ago. I do not want to do that again either.

OK, so mostly I am whiny and there is not going to be a convenient solution. Sorry.

2sunshines
11-01-2009, 07:42 PM
:hugheart

So you stripped your diapers a couple of weeks ago and they need stripping again now? That's not normal. :think Have you tried switching your detergent brand? Not all brands work for everyone.

DragonfliiMama
11-01-2009, 09:59 PM
It's not bad, yet, but it just seems like it's starting to come back. I haven't noticed it consistently, though... maybe it was a soaked cover. I don't think there's anything wrong with the detergent *brand* but like I said, I've gotten lazy lately about measuring it. I should only be using a capful, but it's messy to measure into the cap, especially since for some reason the cap started to split. So I've just been eyeballing it and pouring directly into the washer. That was probably a bad idea. :shrug I'll go back to measuring it and keep an eye out. Maybe I don't have anything to worry about.