PDA

View Full Version : Constant diaper rashes?

TenderLovingWillow
10-26-2009, 04:38 PM
My DS is almost 5 months old, and we are using fuzzi bunz. They were fine when we first started, and now he breaks out in a rash almost immediatly when we use them, so we are using sposies till we figure it out..

I already stripped them with Dawn dishsoap.. And still rashes.. We did make sure to completly rinse the soap out.. ??

Any ideas?:shrug3

Mama Rophe
10-26-2009, 04:44 PM
All three of my boys break out with horrible rashes when we use any pocket diapers. They have to have all natural fibers against their skin.

TenderLovingWillow
10-26-2009, 04:49 PM
All three of my boys break out with horrible rashes when we use any pocket diapers. They have to have all natural fibers against their skin.

Did it take time to develop? He was fine for 3 months.. And then he started getting them.. Does that match what happened with them?

Mama Rophe
10-26-2009, 06:41 PM
No, they pretty much had it once we tried to use them. I stripped and stripped and it didn't help. So back to prefolds we went .

How do you strip them? If you are washing them for stripping, are you washing until there are no soap bubbles at agitation?

TenderLovingWillow
10-26-2009, 09:00 PM
No, they pretty much had it once we tried to use them. I stripped and stripped and it didn't help. So back to prefolds we went .

How do you strip them? If you are washing them for stripping, are you washing until there are no soap bubbles at agitation?

Yeah.. I was washing them and I washed them 1 cycle after there were no soap bubbles just in case.. Still having trouble.

sarainseattle
10-26-2009, 10:57 PM
FuzziBunz uses fleece as an inner (unlike BumGenius which uses suedecloth), and fewer kids are allergic to fleece.

What kind of laundry detergent are you using? I have heard of kids being allergic to Charlie's, if that's the one. Otherwise I don't have a lot of ideas... :(

tazmom
10-26-2009, 11:10 PM
My dd will get a rash from BG and FB. For her, it's the synthetic fibers. She didn't have that problem at first, but after a few months she would break out anytime she wore them.

Codi
10-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Im not sure...I could not use cloth for months in the beginning because my dd would get a HORRIBLE rash instantly, I KNOW it wasn't build up because they were brand new. :shrug

She still gets random instant BAD rashes. Like PAINFUL ones that when they go away her skin peels where they were and stuff. :( I have no clue what it is thought and we use 100% cotton on her booty. :shrug

TenderLovingWillow
10-27-2009, 06:44 AM
FuzziBunz uses fleece as an inner (unlike BumGenius which uses suedecloth), and fewer kids are allergic to fleece.

What kind of laundry detergent are you using? I have heard of kids being allergic to Charlie's, if that's the one. Otherwise I don't have a lot of ideas... :(

Actually my pastors wife gave me the diapers and the detergent.. So I dont know what its called. She said its a homeade soap she made just for the diapers... All natural. And recently I have just several drops of Dawn in and let them run several cycles.. He get less of a rash, only around his circ and anus compared to the whole area otherwise..

My dd will get a rash from BG and FB. For her, it's the synthetic fibers. She didn't have that problem at first, but after a few months she would break out anytime she wore them.

That might be it.. I think I am going to have to get some cotton liners..

Quick question.. If I bought cotton prefolds, could I just use the fuzzibunz as a cover? That way I wont have to buy covers too.. Money right now is VERY tight.

2sunshines
10-27-2009, 07:02 AM
Yep, you can absolutely use fuzzi bunz unstuffed as a cover over prefolds. :yes

Mama Rophe
10-27-2009, 07:12 AM
We tried using them as covers. He still got a rash where the fuzzi buns touched his legs. It's worth a shot though.

TenderLovingWillow
10-27-2009, 07:22 AM
I will give it a shot before I spent the mony on different ones.

sarainseattle
10-27-2009, 09:40 AM
I would try a different detergent as well. If it's "natural" it could mean there are essential oils or other things in it that are irritating. A lot of people are sensitive to tea tree oil, for instance, which people will often add in to natural detergents because it's an antibacterial.

If that doesn't work, I would suspect that the synthetics are causing problems. It is somewhat rare though for the fleece to be such a problem... and generally kids have less diaper rash in cloth than disposables, so I would still suspect detergent first.

Mama Rophe
10-27-2009, 10:40 AM
I would too sara. Though in my experience it was the fleese in the fuzzi buns and the microfiber in the bum genious. All three of my kids got bad rashes from both of them. The rash looked more like a chemical burn though. Once we switched back to 100% cotton prefolds we were fine. I can use a fuzzy buns as a cover now and again without an issue though.

AngelaVA
10-27-2009, 11:16 AM
My DD developed an allergy to her pockets at about 3 months old. Also to PUL. We are all cotton, hemp and wool here now.