PDA

View Full Version : s/o cloth wipes

Mama Rophe
10-12-2009, 06:25 PM
I noticed that some of you mentioned that you use your wipes to blow noses and wipe faces. Do you use the same ones on bums to wipe poo as the ones you use to blow nose?

sprout
10-12-2009, 06:32 PM
ducks...sometimes...in a dire emergency a wipe or a flannel blanket can be very multipurpose.

hot water and vinegar can kill anything.

....i think....

but, as a general rule...no...different ones.

thrillofhope
10-12-2009, 06:34 PM
:yes They get washed in really hot water. :shrug

MtnMama
10-12-2009, 06:37 PM
Well, yeah, we do... and honestly, I'd never thought about it. Now, I'll be looking at the wipe more closely with suspicion!

Raspberries
10-12-2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah :shrug3 It's clean. We wash our wipes really well.

MamaPepper
10-12-2009, 07:10 PM
Yup. . . I figure the water is hot enough to kill anything. I've been meaning to do seperate ones (single layered flannel) but I've been too busy/lazy to do that.

JenLovie
10-13-2009, 12:47 AM
I have. It has usually been out of necessity and they were the only thing in the room to use.

Katigre
10-13-2009, 05:37 AM
Generally no - I have my pile for noses and my pile for bums (but that's b/c the pile for noses are old cloth wipes that are getting thin, and the ones for bums are thicker newer ones that don't work as well for noses).

2sunshines
10-13-2009, 06:50 AM
I don't but not because I'm worried about having something that touches my baby's poop on my child's face. :giggle

I'm meticulous about all my cloth diaper supplies and my wipes are just that, diaper wipes. I only use them for that.

I have other cloth "wipes" that are in the kitchen that I use for misc things like blowing noses.

Now, when we're done with diapers, I will have no qualms about re-purposing my cloth wipes as nose and face wipers. :yes

Yuliana
10-13-2009, 07:08 AM
Yes even though I try to use the more thinner ones (flannel/flannel or flannel/velour) for the face and nose.

NewLeaf
10-13-2009, 07:17 AM
I use different ones but not on purpose. I used to use the flannel for bum wiping but they don't work well so now I use them for face tissue.

I even used them instead of toilet paper for when dd and I went pee for about a week when I was running low on toilet paper. To tell the truth I really liked it, they were way softer, more absorbent and 'greener'. :bag

I do wash them with dipe laundry though.:shrug3

I wouldn't be cloth diapering if I didn't think my dipes were getting clean.

Mama Rophe
10-13-2009, 04:13 PM
I don't question that my diapers are getting clean when I wash. I think it's more of a mental barrier thing for me.

14yrslater
10-13-2009, 07:31 PM
I don't use wipes or tissues to wipe my lo's nose. I use Q-tips. Its the only thing he'll let me use. I think he finds the wipes and tissues too rough.

Sundance
10-14-2009, 08:18 AM
I use all wipes for everything. When I first started to CD, I tried really hard to keep them separate. But I soon realized that they were in fact clean...and then they all got mixed up anyways, and that was the end of that!!

~Melanie

veggiemamaof4
10-14-2009, 08:21 AM
I think I have stacks of wipes everywhere---if I don't, the sleeve gets the boogies. Now that is ewww to me.

Serafine
10-14-2009, 08:45 AM
Nope. It is simply the scientist in me who has seen TOO much.

I think the diapers/wipes can get clean enough to use again on bums (although I don't use cloth inserts either on bums...we are a gdipe family) but we do reuse cloth wipes...but unless I am boiling them...they are not going to get used on our faces.

Mama Rophe
10-14-2009, 09:53 AM
Nope. It is simply the scientist in me who has seen TOO much.

I think the diapers/wipes can get clean enough to use again on bums (although I don't use cloth inserts either on bums...we are a gdipe family) but we do reuse cloth wipes...but unless I am boiling them...they are not going to get used on our faces.

But don't you think that using hot water and vinegar, and then drying in a very hot dryer is enough to kill the germies?

Serafine
10-14-2009, 10:27 AM
But don't you think that using hot water and vinegar, and then drying in a very hot dryer is enough to kill the germies?

To me...no. :shrug

Our water temperature on our hot water heater is set to what 120 or 140 at the highest, and a "very hot dryer" is still not hot enough for me.

I have personally experienced to many times where my clothes (even using vinegar, hot water, and hot dryer) are not as clean as I would like and read too many stories where diapers are not getting completely stripped...just not something I am comfortable with.

In a similar fashion - we used to let our dogs lick our plates before they went into our dishwasher (which are washed and dried at similar temperatures as clothes...actually hotter drying). Well, as I thought about it and parasites, we stopped the practice...and my children's constant parasite issues (which most people wouldn't even have realized their kids have...they just seemed like normal kids with loose stools, etc.) stopped as well.

That spoke VOLUMES to me.

Again - I don't think that other people are wrong for doing it...it just isn't something that I am comfortable with, based on the types of soaps that are available, water temperatures, and drying temperatures to mix and match.