PDA

View Full Version : So wool is MAGIC!

Aisling
10-09-2009, 07:46 AM
Why didn't I know this before? I thought they were just really expensive, cute pants. :lol:O But they're totally *useful* as dipe covers! :cool

I might be addicted. :shifty

TuneMyHeart
10-09-2009, 07:50 AM
:yes

2sunshines
10-09-2009, 11:17 AM
:yes Wool rocks. I have so many pairs of cute wool that I accumulated but alas they are almost all very girly. :( I gotta find me some cute boy wool. :rockon

Naked Camper
10-09-2009, 11:19 AM
:giggle I've thought about trying wool again. I'm just too lazy for wool. I know experienced wool users :scratch at this comment. I just find it so much work. Plus, wool tends to end up in the wash regardless how hard I try to keep it separate.

Happygrl
10-09-2009, 11:43 AM
I love wool! I thought it would be crazy work before I tried it but I'm always surprised at just how LITTLE work is involved. I feel like my regular covers require more work b/c I have to actually wash them regularly, etc.

I'm hoping this one is a girl so I can get some adorable girly wool. :shifty

Naked Camper
10-09-2009, 11:45 AM
i guess I forget to change diapers often enough that I get wicking :shifty

Happygrl
10-09-2009, 11:47 AM
Wicking with wool? Are you giving them a good enough lanolizing with each wash? I've never had wicking with wool but I have had compression leaks.

I would definitely be turned off if I had wicking!

TuneMyHeart
10-09-2009, 01:59 PM
I just figured out that I can wash wool safely in my front loader on the wool cycle. It's so easy, and I used spray lanolin after washing them. I thought wool was a lot of work too, especially if it got poo on it, but now it's super easy.

MommaNae
10-09-2009, 02:42 PM
I've always wanted to do wool because I love to knit but it makes mine and Jax's eczema flair so bad. :(

Aisling
10-09-2009, 02:50 PM
Could you do fleece instead? :hugheart

RosalieMarie
10-09-2009, 03:30 PM
:rockon We looooooooove wool!!

Naked Camper
10-09-2009, 05:28 PM
well, yeah - that's cause you have the cutest wool stash EVER

Taedareth
10-09-2009, 05:34 PM
I used to worry that wool would leak/wick under clothing, but that fear was unfounded :shrug3 My DD uses nothing but wool (plus bare bum time since we're EC/potty training) and she's never had a diaper rash! :rockon

Codi
10-09-2009, 05:45 PM
:giggle I've thought about trying wool again. I'm just too lazy for wool. I know experienced wool users :scratch at this comment. I just find it so much work. Plus, wool tends to end up in the wash regardless how hard I try to keep it separate.

This is me exactly...

Although getting into the cold months now (And seeing Ashley's longies she just made!!!!), Im reaaaly contemplating making/getting some cute longies. :think

thrillofhope
10-09-2009, 05:52 PM
How do you care for wool? I really need something that won't seep through onto dd's clothes like fleece does.

Naked Camper
10-09-2009, 06:54 PM
This is me exactly...

Although getting into the cold months now (And seeing Ashley's longies she just made!!!!), Im reaaaly contemplating making/getting some cute longies. :think
no kidding!!!

Doodle - I think there's a sticky on wool care in this forum :think

Codi
10-09-2009, 08:03 PM
I have some wool.....I just...don't use it. :duck

Something about that extra step lanolizing. :shifty

Taedareth
10-10-2009, 08:55 AM
Here's what I do. They only need cleaning once a month or whenever the wool starts to smell of urine (might be less often than once a month). I usually wash 2-3 pairs of woolies together, to save time:

Put squirt of liquid lanolin in bowl, add squirt of Trader Joe's castile soap. Run hot water in the bowl and swish around to dissolve soap and lanolin.

Run cold water to fill the bowl halfway, and immerse woolies. Soak 20 minutes (or longer if I forget about it).

Pour out soapy water and refill bowl with clean water. Swish woolies around and pour out. Refill with fresh water and add splash of vinegar. Let stand 20 minutes (or longer).

Squish woolies into a ball (so they don't get stretched out when removed from the water). Lift out of the bowl, gently spread on a towel. Cover with another towel. Dance around on the towels for a minute to press out excess water.

Lay flat or hang to dry.

For the most part, woolies are effort-free. They just need washing once in a great while :shrug3 Now if I could get away with washing diapers once a month, I'd be one happy mama!! :giggle

2sunshines
10-11-2009, 06:27 PM
I have some wool.....I just...don't use it. :duck

Something about that extra step lanolizing. :shifty

I never lanolize separately. I just wash with lanolin rich wool wash and it's enough lanolin for us. :shrug3

Serafine
10-11-2009, 06:30 PM
If, by MAGIC, you mean causes to break out in hives and respiratory issues...then, yes, MAGIC all the way. :giggle (we are obviously allergic to all kinds of wool in this house).

DoulaClara
10-11-2009, 06:33 PM
I've always wanted to do wool because I love to knit but it makes mine and Jax's eczema flair so bad. :(

:hugheart I know it probably sounds like itchy agony to try, but have you tried non-dyed, gently processed wool? Sometimes for some people (one person who always sends her own personal wool to me for knitting wool covers for her, as she hates Patons because of the dye) it's the dye or the processing that causes the terrible itching.

Serafine
10-11-2009, 06:34 PM
:hugheart I know it probably sounds like itchy agony to try, but have you tried non-dyed, gently processed wool?

yes, I am truly allergic. Bummer, b/c we wanted sheep on our farm, so that I could do wool.

Naked Camper
10-11-2009, 06:38 PM
anyone else wanting to go to a thrift store just to look for wool sweaters after seeing Ashley's recycled longies??

NewLeaf
10-11-2009, 06:44 PM
Refill with fresh water and add splash of vinegar.
What is the vinegar for?

I have two pair of woolies I just bought and lanolized them for the first time but must have done something wrong because the first time ds wore them as a cover the crotch was soaked and leaked through onto the surface he was sitting on.

The other pair he wears over his fleece night time diaper and they reak of urine after 2-3 days. :-/

Not enough lanolin I guess? :scratch

DoulaClara
10-11-2009, 06:49 PM
I'd re-lanolinize them. :yes

I've also found that the more I use my wool, the more it sort of felts up and forms a better cover.

Codi
10-11-2009, 06:57 PM
anyone else wanting to go to a thrift store just to look for wool sweaters after seeing Ashley's recycled longies??

:giggle :yes I went to dinner with my mom and the kids tonight and I said, "All the thrift stores are probably closed by now, huh?" :think

:lol

NewLeaf
10-11-2009, 06:59 PM
Where are these pics you speak of? :D

Oh and I made ds a soaker out of an old wool sweater before he was born and it was pretty sad looking. He'll be thankful he was too big to ever fit in it. :giggle But I'm all about trying again.

Codi
10-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Where are these pics you speak of? :D

Oh and I made ds a soaker out of an old wool sweater before he was born and it was pretty sad looking. He'll be thankful he was too big to ever fit in it. :giggle But I'm all about trying again.

In the crafts and hobies forum under the craft pics thread. Its MANY MANY pages long so ill go and find the link to the right page for you. :)

---------- Post added at 07:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:03 PM ----------

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showpost.php?p=2615411&postcount=901

Naked Camper
10-11-2009, 07:05 PM
the fleece ones you'd want to wash with your regular wash - not your diaper laundry. Fleece does better if it has fabric softener smothered on it :wink

thrillofhope
10-11-2009, 08:01 PM
the fleece ones you'd want to wash with your regular wash - not your diaper laundry. Fleece does better if it has fabric softener smothered on it :wink
Really? Wow. I didn't know that. Too bad we don't use fabric softener. Only vinegar. I think were going to order some thirsties covers or something. My mom made my fleece and they are great, but only at home during the day when you can change her quickly.

Naked Camper
10-11-2009, 08:11 PM
i've known people to lanolize their fleece too :shrug3 - just dont expect them to do the magical pee thing that wool does - fleece has to be washed :wink

Raspberries
10-11-2009, 08:20 PM
I literally know nothing about wool. I tried once, but it was too tight for DD1 so I never bothered and haven't tried since. Plus it seemed so scratchy. I'd like to learn more though.

HummusDip
10-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Haven't read all the replies but yes wool is amazing. It's mostly all we use with cloth. Occasionally we use PUL but they make ds so sweaty and red down there because of how synthetic and unbreathable the fabric is. We have TONS of wool thankfully so we wear different ones. I actually have never relanolized ANY of mine since cding Ds again! But they must have all came lanolized because they work great. No leaking, ever. Plus they are so cute!

And I have at least 10 wool sweaters in my craft box from thrift stores waiting to be turned into wool pants! Fireshifter knows about this!!! :giggle

---------- Post added at 08:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

Our wool isn't scratchy in the least. Ours is very soft. We like to use wool pants/shorts and just put them over the diaper and those are his pants. If we are wearing non wool pants, wool COVERS are great. Taedareth sells the best wool products I've ever used, so I'd hit her up personally. :tu

2sunshines
10-12-2009, 05:18 AM
I literally know nothing about wool. I tried once, but it was too tight for DD1 so I never bothered and haven't tried since. Plus it seemed so scratchy. I'd like to learn more though.

Good wool won't be scratchy. :no Depends on the quality of the wool used.

Most good wool used as diaper covers is really soft. :yes

Taedareth
10-12-2009, 07:45 AM
Thanks, HummusDip! :kiss

NewLeaf - the vinegar in the final rinse serves two purposes. First, vinegar is an excellent fabric-softener for protein fibers. Second, it removes any soap residue left by the liquid castile soap. Soap residue attracts dirt, so you want to get it all off :yes

Naked Camper
10-12-2009, 07:47 AM
a little OT - but my dipes are starting to stink a little. Do you think if I do a pre-rinse in vinegar and water if that'll help or should I do it AFTER I've washed everything in soap as a final rinse before putting them in the dryer?

Taedareth
10-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Morgan, I haven't tried using vinegar as a pre-wash solution but you could definitely use it in the final rinse. If that doesn't work, maybe try stripping your diapers in HOT water with lots of Oxyclean?

Naked Camper
10-12-2009, 02:01 PM
i've thought of that too. thanks Sarah

NewLeaf
10-12-2009, 07:56 PM
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/community/showpost.php?p=2615411&postcount=901
OMGosh that is ridiculously cute! :jawdrop

Codi
10-12-2009, 07:58 PM
OMGosh that is ridiculously cute! :jawdrop

I know, right!? :yes

Happygrl
10-12-2009, 09:33 PM
I use vinegar in a pre-soak for ammonia-smelling diapers. It supposedly breaks down the ammonia crystals that can build up. It has made a HUGE difference for me. My initial soak was a few cups worth in a soaking for several hours. Maintenance soaks are just a cup or so for an hour or so as a pre-soak. I do the maintenance soak every few washes.