PDA

View Full Version : EC newby

TenderLovingWillow
10-02-2009, 09:22 PM
Hello all!
My name is Jennie, and I just joined today. I was reading through a lot of the posts here in Sep, but was unable to join at that time.

My firstborn son is Judah, who is almost for months. I have been learning how to EC for the last month, when I was able to quit my job, and become a stay at home mom.

I have managed to catch about 50% of the time, but I think I might be doing something wrong.

He does pretty well right after he wakes up, and right after he feeds. I was going completly diaperless, but now that its getting cold, I have been putting clothes on him to keep him warm.

He doesnt seem to have a very obvoius signal for pees, (not that I have noticed over the last month anyways) He usually has a schedule for right after he feeds, about 5 min, and then 15 min after that.

I guess my question is, how do you manage the cold weather? Also, have any of you had your kids refuse to go in any place but your home toilet or potty chair? He will use our toilet, and his potty chair, but when we are in public, he waits till he has a diaper on, and then pees as soon as I get it buttoned up..

I am so excited about the success we have had, but I have been kindof surprised at all the negativity I have gotten from people. Is that normal?

I appreciate any input from any of you.. I am really new at this, and am kindof making it up as we go along.

Codi
10-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Sorry I do not have much advice in regards to HOW to EC, especially in the colder time of year, but I wanted to say 1) WELCOME! :hug So glad you found us here! 2) Awesome work with your dc! :rockon 3) I think the negativity is, unfortunately normal when something is not the 'norm' and others do not really understand it. :hugheart I have been there with other parenting choices that don't seem 'normal.'

MamaPepper
10-03-2009, 10:37 AM
I don't EC, but I did want to say :welcome to GCM :heart I hope that you find some help here, but also that you find GCM to be a loving community :heart

SamRose
10-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Welcome! I think that EC is just harder in cold weather. We didnt EC full time, so it didnt matter much last winter. I offered the potty right b4 we went out, and if she was dry when we arrived, I coudl try to take her again. But when baby has to have lots of clothes on lots of the time, I just dont knwo wut else to do. (and as far as I know, most cultures who traditionally practice EC and never use diapers R in warm climates).
And the negativity comes from ppl who either dont understand & dont want to, or are jealous.

TenderLovingWillow
10-03-2009, 06:33 PM
I guess that is what surprised me the most.. I didnt realize people would be so negative. I figured they would be surprised, and skeptical that it could work, but a few people have been down right mean. Kinda funny, because I dont tell them how to raise their kids.......