PDA

View Full Version : Whats with the morning stench?

Codi
10-01-2009, 11:19 PM
Is it just us or does everyone's morning diaper just WREAK!? :sick

It is too stinky to sit for 2 days before I wash my next load of diapers but I REEEALY don't wanna wash every day. :doh

Tengokujin
10-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Sometimes DS2's diaper has a strong ammonia smell in the morning, but not always.:shrug3

Could you try dumping some baking soda into your diaper pail over that diaper? That might absorb the smell until wash day. That's what I do when I notice a smell.

Firebird Rising
10-04-2009, 09:20 AM
Ours are SO stinky. I've been putting whatever dipes are dirty at the end of the day, into the wash and just washing small loads so I don't have to smell them. Also, a drop of tea tree oil in the bucket will knock out any smell and helps the dipes "unstink" when I wash.

Cameron's dipes actually make me feel :sick

TuneMyHeart
10-04-2009, 09:27 AM
same here, and I'm very grateful DH usually changes that first diaper. :lol

MaybeGracie
10-04-2009, 12:08 PM
That morning diaper is why we switched back to disposables at night. :shifty I just couldn't handle waking up to that smell.

Codi
10-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Well at least its just not me.

And Im happy that that smell washes out! :yes

Niphredil
10-04-2009, 01:58 PM
Yeah, morning diapers = :sick I guess it's that 10 - 12 hours of urine all piled together, but bleeeeech. I hold my breath when I change N and then make her put her own diaper in the pail. :O

justTrish
10-04-2009, 02:04 PM
eww yah, those morning diapers are so gross. I second the idea of a drop of teat ree oil in the pail though. That really helps ours!

shirelingmum
10-06-2009, 11:26 AM
oh man! i was just about to come here to post about this! yeah-this strong ammonia smell has decided to recently show up in the mornings.....blech!! am i not washing dipes right?

Codi
10-06-2009, 11:52 AM
oh man! i was just about to come here to post about this! yeah-this strong ammonia smell has decided to recently show up in the mornings.....blech!! am i not washing dipes right?

Im sure your washing just fine. (If the smell is coming out.)

I think it is just because it sits for HOURS over night so it gets stinky.

Rabbit
10-06-2009, 11:57 AM
I've cloth diapered three. Our morning diapers are stinky only in the beginning stages of buildup. If I ever get a stinky diaper, I know it's time to strip them.

Naked Camper
10-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Codi - what about rinsing that morning diaper as you would a poopy diaper before putting it in the pail so it wouldn't continue to stink until you wash? You'd at least wash out some of the urine.

We use soisies at night b/c Corban wakes even more than normal if he's in cloth at night.

Codi
10-06-2009, 12:03 PM
I don't rinse poopy diapers. :shifty

SHe really only goes every few days and I try to wash when she poops anyways. And its still EBM.

Naked Camper
10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
ah, that'd make a difference. yeah, i don't wash EBM poop diapers either.

okay, well then can you rinse those diapers before tossing them in the pail?

Codi
10-06-2009, 12:07 PM
ah, that'd make a difference. yeah, i don't wash EBM poop diapers either.

okay, well then can you rinse those diapers before tossing them in the pail?

:yes That is a great tip! Ill try that!

TuneMyHeart
10-06-2009, 12:28 PM
You could also just rinse them in the washer, then put them in the pail till you wash dipes.

Naked Camper
10-06-2009, 01:09 PM
You could also just rinse them in the washer, then put them in the pail till you wash dipes.
that requires having an empty washer :shifty

Codi
10-06-2009, 01:11 PM

:giggle :yes

TuneMyHeart
10-06-2009, 01:12 PM

Yes, I usually have the same dilemma. :lol

Katigre
10-06-2009, 01:21 PM
I always change my babies at midnight and that prevents the morning stench. But if that's not possible, use a smaller zippered wetbag just for morning diapers to protect your diaper pail from being a nose bomb ;).

Codi
10-06-2009, 01:34 PM
I always change my babies at midnight and that prevents the morning stench. But if that's not possible, use a smaller zippered wetbag just for morning diapers to protect your diaper pail from being a nose bomb ;).

I DONT HAVE ONE!! :sa

I REAAAALY need one though. :yes

gardenfreshmama
10-15-2009, 07:24 AM
That morning diaper is why we switched back to disposables at night. :shifty I just couldn't handle waking up to that smell.

Same here. Especially since she turned about 22 mo's they've been unbearable.

sothisislove
10-16-2009, 11:19 AM

me too....DS is 2 1/2 and the amonia is out of control. Waking up 2 days in a row with a red bottom did me in. Huggies at night.

Naked Camper
10-16-2009, 12:22 PM
me too....DS is 2 1/2 and the amonia is out of control. Waking up 2 days in a row with a red bottom did me in. Huggies at night.
sounds like your diapers might need to be stripped