PDA

View Full Version : If you line dry your diapers (prefolds)

klpmommy
09-21-2009, 09:34 AM
how long does it typically take them to dry? I have never line dried before, but they are hanging out right now. :)

milkmommy
09-21-2009, 09:42 AM
It will depend on where you live. Here a prefold can be bone dry in under 20 mintues and rock hard by an hour leave it out all day and it may turn to dust. :shifty
I actually have to be careful with line drying clothes the heat is soo intense it will eat right through the elastic and such in clothing and my fitted diapers.

Deanna

2sunshines
09-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Yea, totally depends on the environment. Here in MI, I've had dry days with a beautiful breeze and they can dry rather quickly. On other days, they can take several hours to get completely dry.

Tip since you've never line dried before. They may come off the line pretty scratchy. To solve that, throw them in the dryer with a damp wash cloth (or cloth wipe) for about 10 minutes and that should soften them up. Or you can throw them in the dryer for a few minutes right out of the wash before you put them on the line and that also helps soften them.

I LOVE line drying but for prefolds, I tend to just use the dryer for at least a large portion of the drying time since line drying can make them rough (I love soft smooshy prefolds). Now, for almost everything else I am an avid line dryer. :yes

Mama Bird
09-21-2009, 10:18 AM
I line dry mine! (Or...Smiley's...) Here, the breeze and the sunshine dries them pretty fast. Couple of hours? If it's really humid it takes a bit longer. I like to give them a quick tumble in the dryer as well to soften them up. But even if I don't do that, they don't bother Smiley's rather sensitive bum.

Sundance
09-25-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm in eastern Canada, so it's usually pretty humid here, so it takes a few hours (3 or so) on a "normal" day. On a nice hot summer day, they can be dry in less than an hour!

Yea, totally depends on the environment. Here in MI, I've had dry days with a beautiful breeze and they can dry rather quickly. On other days, they can take several hours to get completely dry.

Tip since you've never line dried before. They may come off the line pretty scratchy. To solve that, throw them in the dryer with a damp wash cloth (or cloth wipe) for about 10 minutes and that should soften them up. Or you can throw them in the dryer for a few minutes right out of the wash before you put them on the line and that also helps soften them.

I LOVE line drying but for prefolds, I tend to just use the dryer for at least a large portion of the drying time since line drying can make them rough (I love soft smooshy prefolds). Now, for almost everything else I am an avid line dryer. :yes

I'm probably an odd ball, but I like when they're stiffer because they slide under the babe easier when I'm putting them on, lol...I find they soften up pretty quickly once they're warmed up.

~Mel

cro
09-26-2009, 10:48 PM
It really varies w/ the weather here.
I don't like the stiffness of line-dried diapers, so I usually tumble them in the dryer w/ the (still-damp) wipes or I take them off the line before they're completely dry and tumble them then. Or you can just hold 1 by the corner and shake it a couple times.

Can Dance
09-26-2009, 10:58 PM
Tokyo. summer hot and humid. my prefolds dry ridiculously fast, IMO. my others are bamboo and thicker. but I can always count on my prefolds to be dry within 12 hours no problem. in the summer, it was like a dryer outside...
hth's!

Desert Rose
09-27-2009, 01:22 AM
It will depend on where you live. Here a prefold can be bone dry in under 20 mintues and rock hard by an hour leave it out all day and it may turn to dust. :shifty
I actually have to be careful with line drying clothes the heat is soo intense it will eat right through the elastic and such in clothing and my fitted diapers.

Deanna
Yep...gotta love AZ right Deanna? :giggle